RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder too slow? 8 X 56Rmm 210gr w/pics

Boolit Mold

Powder too slow? 8 X 56Rmm 210gr w/pics

Help! This is becoming frustrating. Trying to get a consistant, universal (either plinking or hunting in a pinch) load behind a Lee C329-205-1R cast bullet with gas check. This bullet drops at approximately .330" +/- .005" and with sizing to .3295" and adding a gas check, the 50 bullet ave. weight is 209.9 grains. My first loading sessions revolved around building up using Unique powder. My conclusions with this powder yielded a point of diminishing returns at 15.25 grains of powder and a tad under 1500 fps (1489 ave), adding more powder just made a bigger bang, but even with 16.5 grains only yielded an increase of 20 fps. Therefore I turned my attention to going to a slower powder thinking that I needed a longer pressure curve to accelerate the bullet longer. Using H4895 and a 30.0 grain charge, has been abysmal to say the least. Velocities have been all over the board even though I have been extremely careful weighing each and every load on both a balance beam scale and an electric scale. I had loaded 50 rounds for testing, but did not get past 15 of them as I had three misfires, one which lodged the bullet 1 inch up the throat, one that just had the bullet fall into the chamber, and one that did not even break out of the cartridge. Those that did, I had considerable "blow back". By the way, I have done a chamber cast, slugged the bore and all is within the "small" specs of Military Handbook specifications, except the throat length, which appears to have been machined(reamed) deeper than specs. Please see below the "after" pictures of the rounds, the five in the clip are freshly fired 15.0 grains of Unique and exhibit none of the before mentioned calamities. Oh yea, the spread of the H4895 in velocity was from 1290fps to 1710fps on the ones that lit. Is my powder too slow from the application? These H4895 loads and bullets (sized down to .3235") work fine in my 8 X 57's(Commission 88, K98, Gew 98).

Banned

try a filler with your 4895 load it's sloshing around in that big ole case.
    causing very poor ignition.
    a side note, when you get diminishing returns lke you did with the unique. thats usually a sign you have hit a pressure barrier either the powders or the guns.

slug the bore, I have 14 of these carbines-- none of then has a .329 bore, I use a .338 cast boolit sized down to .002 over bore size, TL all shoot as well as I can hold and see for a 72 year old.

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

In Remebrance

yup, use the boolit unsized. Try 13.0 Red Dot.

Boolit Mold
    I tried loading my 205 gr cast with 15 gr bullseye. My accuracy was great for the first 10 shots or so until I noticed the severe lead fowling in the barrel. I was loading them unsized with no gas checks. Took me all afternoon to clean it all out.

Boolit Mold
    twotoe, this one slugs at .316 lands and .3295 grooves. Nothing wrong with accuracy, holds 1" groups at 60 yards with the Unique loads, just not enough to hold stability at 100+. With the slow <1500 fps Unique loads I have to flip the sight up and set to 600m for POI on center at 50, I have to move it up to 800m for relatively close to POI on center at 100m. I am trying to get a round that I can hunt with if I want and take advantage of the quick twist without going to jacketed. By the way, loading 42.5 grains of H4895 behind the 205gr Hornady bullets yields 2470fps ave. and cloverleafs them at 100 with sight at point blank.

Super Moderator

................You're wanting a powder slower then Unique, but going to 4895 has jumped over some of the best. These being 2400, 4227, SR4759, RL7, 4198, and 3031. You can tell I'm a kind of 'old guy' as most of the powders I relate to are either Hercules or IMR . Anyway, that's the area you should consider operating in for now. I don't knwo how you feel about it, but a filler like dacron would be good for any of the above. If you do end up trying 4895 again, I'd suggest a 'solid filler' such as a shotshell buffer

If you REALLY want to work with this M95, I'd suggest getting the Lee C338-210-R mould, but finding GC's could be problematic since at Hornady they're NLA. Bummer! Have you checked the OD of the throat of your piece?

This really nice all matching M95 will swallow a cartridge with a .338" sized boolit. Speaks volumns about the chamber neck dimensions too. I've gotten some good groups with mine (the M95 and a M95/34) and I've heard of a few who've reported outstanding results. I can truthfully say however that none of the issues are in the action, but contained within the barrel and it's dimensions.

This a conversion to 30-40 Krag, and it does everything except give milk. All it took was a new barrel.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

In Remebrance

I had a baby on my lap trying to type yesterday. I use the Lee 338 as Rick said, but my favorite is an NEI 330-245. Mine drops around .334+ and I opened a Lee sizer to .332+. Using thew 13.0 Red Dot, ( my go to load, I keep a Lyman 55 permanently set there), I can keep the NEI under 2.5" at 100 yards on a fairly regular basis. Considering the sights and trigger I don't think that's bad. The Lee 329 has been really poor for me. Your barrel specs are far smaller than mine so count yourself lucky.

The 338 checks can be hard to find, but you can order right from Hornady.

I think the 95 is the bet off the shelf surplus hunting rifle ever made. Short, light, powerful, safety is in the right place, sight are adequate. A better rear sight, ala Buckshot, and a piece of tape over the mag well to keep from losing the clips and you're all set.

Boolit Mold
    Buckshot, I had Lee open up my mould (C329-205-1R) a tad, that is why mine drop over .330", and yes, when I did the chamber cast I did a chamber OD dimension. It was .3655, whereas the spec calls out .366-.368 nominal. Pretty large diameter chamber for a .329" groove!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    I had a baby on my lap trying to type yesterday. I use the Lee 338 as Rick said, but my favorite is an NEI 330-245. Mine drops around .334+ and I opened a Lee sizer to .332+. Using thew 13.0 Red Dot, ( my go to load, I keep a Lyman 55 permanently set there), I can keep the NEI under 2.5" at 100 yards on a fairly regular basis. Considering the sights and trigger I don't think that's bad. The Lee 329 has been really poor for me. Your barrel specs are far smaller than mine so count yourself lucky.
    Bought over 20 of them in the last year to find three that were at or under .330" groove, plus meeting chamber dimensions. 16 of the ones that did not make my tolerance parameters ran anywhere from .3305" to .334"!!! These are all gone now, sold to others with the knowledge of the slug results. One we cut apart, sliced right in half the long way....just because. The others are mine and I am shooting the "tightest" one, bore wise, but not necessarily chamber wise as the throat on my tightest bore is the largest throat.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ................You're wanting a powder slower then Unique, but going to 4895 has jumped over some of the best. These being 2400, 4227, SR4759, RL7, 4198, and 3031. You can tell I'm a kind of 'old guy' as most of the powders I relate to are either Hercules or IMR . Anyway, that's the area you should consider operating in for now. I don't knwo how you feel about it, but a filler like dacron would be good for any of the above. If you do end up trying 4895 again, I'd suggest a 'solid filler' such as a shotshell buffer

If you REALLY want to work with this M95, I'd suggest getting the Lee C338-210-R mould, but finding GC's could be problematic since at Hornady they're NLA. Bummer! Have you checked the OD of the throat of your piece?

This really nice all matching M95 will swallow a cartridge with a .338" sized boolit. Speaks volumns about the chamber neck dimensions too. I've gotten some good groups with mine (the M95 and a M95/34) and I've heard of a few who've reported outstanding results. I can truthfully say however that none of the issues are in the action, but contained within the barrel and it's dimensions.

This a conversion to 30-40 Krag, and it does everything except give milk. All it took was a new barrel.

...............Buckshot
    do the clips still work the 30-40krag ? i wonder if a 303 British conversion is also possible

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by amwdc View Post
    do the clips still work the 30-40krag ? i wonder if a 303 British conversion is also possible

The clips will work just fine with 2 small modifications. In the left photo, on the left is a clip load of 8x56R and on the right a clip is loaded with five 30-40 Krags. You can see that due to the slimmer Krags cartridges there will be some slop, up and down. There isn't enough excess room for the Krag cartridges to fall out of the clip, while simply handleing them. The problem is with how they lay when inserted into the rifle.

Since they're slimmer they'll ride higher (nose up higher) in the clip then the fatter 8x56R's. When pushing the bolt closed the nose will raise a bit more and slam into the breechface. The first and most important modification is shown in the right hand photo (pink lines on the clip). You simply have to smoothly bend the lips of the clip inward, which causes the cartridge to ride lower, plus it keeps the rim from popping out too soon also.

The second mod, isn't a 'Have to' deal and has to do with comments in the first paragraph. That is, looseness of the slimmer rounds in the clip. With the first mod taken care of they feed just fine but will be loose in the clip when out of the rifle. The second mod is similar to the first and is shown in the left photo. Simply bending the lips upward to use up some of that windage in the clip. Use care as the lifter arm has to be able to pass through in order to raise the cartridges as they're stripped and fed.

No boltface work had to be done with the 30-40 and the 303 is a cousin of comparable size, so I see no problems there either. Possibly the best and easiest conversion would be to to Russian 7.62x54R. I would suspect that most any wildcat built off one of these 3 cartridge cases would also function.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned
    Buckshot is right on about this cartridge. When I had mine I used that Lee 338 mould. I will tell you the best bullet and that's the one designed by an old member Oldfeller. Since he had the moulds made at Dan's Mountain Moulds you can probably get one if Dan saved his data. That bullet fit that throat and bore/groove like Steyr designed it. Honestly I didn't mess with the pistol/shotgun powder and used the rifle powder all the ways to the slowest stuff like 860 and 5010 surplus. Believe it or not that round burned the 5010 pretty good. When you load it hot you clip on the heals of a 338-06. Buckshot and I talked about that once and both concluded that the locking lugs on the bolt are massive and the one isn't slotted like on the Mausers, making it even stronger. We both felt that Steyr more then likely used a quality steel in manufacturing them. This is not a go ahead to magnumize it. I based my opinion on chronographing some of the original Nazi ammo and that stuff was plenty hot. I found some old Hornady 338 bullets made for the old 33 Winchester. They were 200 grain flatnoses and weighed very close to the original ammo for the M95. I sized them down some and loaded them until I got close to the same velocity as that Nazi ammo. One hell of a great deer load. I too put a receiver sight on my rifle like Buckshot.

Joe

Boolit Bub

Re:m95

I've never owned one, but from what i read cast bullets are hopeless in these guns because the chamber neck is WAY too big.The bullet upsets to fill the neck and then get swaged down to fit the rifling. This ruins the bullets, too much discorsion, up, then down. I once owned a 7 x57mm Rolling block with the same problem, the case neck expanded .020 upon firing, it would have leaked gas like crazy if it had not been a bottleneck case.I gave up shooting cast bullets in it and used jacketed for the rest of my shooting with it. I finally gave up on it because it was ruining cases too fast.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by singleshotman View Post
    I've never owned one, but from what i read cast bullets are hopeless in these guns because the chamber neck is WAY too big.The bullet upsets to fill the neck and then get swaged down to fit the rifling. This ruins the bullets, too much discorsion, up, then down. I once owned a 7 x57mm Rolling block with the same problem, the case neck expanded .020 upon firing, it would have leaked gas like crazy if it had not been a bottleneck case.I gave up shooting cast bullets in it and used jacketed for the rest of my shooting with it. I finally gave up on it because it was ruining cases too fast.
    To the contrary, it's almost like they were designed for cast with the very deep rifling grooves they have. I was eventually able to get mine shooting 7/8 inch groups at 100 yards using that Oldfeller bullet. I believe Buckshot and BassAckwards will agree to how well they handle cast. Oldfeller had a few of us that owned the rifles to take chamber casts and he designed that bullet to fit it. Like other's here have said that Lee 338 shoots pretty darn good from them. I'm sure if you had someone to help you along with loading cast for them you'd like them.

Joe

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by singleshotman View Post
    To the contrary, I think they handle cast just fine! You just have to adapt to the rifles quirks a bit. It's not stuff they teach you in Reloading 101, but it's not rocket science either.

I have found Red Dot and Unique to always shoot good groups (but seldom the best) in anything I used them in, but have never had great luck with reduced loads of 4895. I have settled on SR4759 for most of my cast boolit rifle loads. 22.0 grs is an almost universal load, like 13.0 is with Red Dot.

Starmetal is right about how his M95 performed. I Know because I bought it from him. Still have a few of the Oldfeller #1 boolits if someone more knowledgable than me wants to copy the design for some new molds. I would be very interested, and would gladly send samples to a designer for that purpose. I have checked with Dan at Mtn molds, and at this point he cannot remake old designs. I am not sure that the new software would work for this style boolit. Here is a pic, Lee .338" boolit on left, Oldfeller #1 in center, and Oldfeller #2 on right:

This boolit is a wonderful design for the M95, and considering the intrest in these rifles, it is a design that should not be lost.
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Bub
    Can a person lap the lube sizer die to bigger than the .329 and keep it uniform? I've had quite a few sooty case necks and I attribute it to under-sized cast bullets.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by fj3fury View Post
    Can a person lap the lube sizer die to bigger than the .329 and keep it uniform? I've had quite a few sooty case necks and I attribute it to under-sized cast bullets.
    Yes, I've done this by running bullets coated with Clover compound through the die to open one up by .001 to .005. Depending on which grit you use, it can cut very quickly so run a few coated bullets trough, wash it out and run a bullet to size through then measure.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/