Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Only 1 Handgun? One Rifle?

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Another old fart reporting for duty sir! The above post have some wonderful choices. Such as the S&W 65, 29, 19 and 57. All great guns and without a doubt would serve one well as I have or have owned all of them. I would chose a revolver ( old farts club) because all my brass is there for retrieval. You do have to have a shotgun for survival to put meat on the table, hard to hit a running bunny with a handgun. In fact I've had more than one make a clean break when I had the shotgun. Choice there would be 870 or model 37 Ithaca. 45 Colt revolver and 45-70 rifle. Oh I almost forgot, plenty of BP and lead.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Buddy
    Actually that is fairly simple for me.

Ruger SBH 7.5" 44Mag
    Savage 110 - 30-06
    Remington 870 - 20ga (I know 2 guns, but you HAVE to have a shotgun!, I love me some dove, and 30-06 is a little to much gun for such a small target).

But it does make for an interesting thought. The 30-06 was given to me when I graduated high school, which is what I am giving my former step-son for his HS graduation gift (once he finds time to come see me ).

Shoot the 44 in IHMSA so it will do for close and distant targets.

But I like my others, and still plan on adding to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by phil218b View Post
    My bible,prayer book,1911,garand. And hope for the rapture before all I could have is the my last two guns.
    Real nice Phil!!!

I wish there was enough room to mill out the magwell on my AR-10 project to make it 30-06. There's barely enough room for 308!
    The 1911 to me is a no brainier - as reliable and potent as any plastic fantastic out there! I carry mine daily in bobtail'ed commander form...
    My Kimber officer is one sweet piece also! I have no idea why it gets a bad rap, cause I've put thousands through it without a hiccup...

-=YOU OLD FART=-
    --------------
    Ron

Boolit Grand Master

Freedom arms FA83 in 454 Casull
    Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70
    Remington 870 12ga.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned

We need to put Stubshaft Joe on a strict non fattening caliber diet ...

Boolit Buddy
    S&W Mod. 27 6"

12gax12gax30-06 Drilling.
    Quality insert .22 mag in one shotgun bbl. 30-30 insert for rifle bbl.
    Quality pivot mount for scope.

Due to moronic laws in Europe, they have the one gun concept down to a fine art.

Boolit Buddy

I'd have to go with my Glock 20 10mm. I can use 40 cal as well, with LW barrels.
    A 308 of some type: FNFAL preferably, but i could live with a savage bolt.

Boolit Master
    I cheat. I got a Valmet 412 in 12x .30-06 when they were cheap. Later had to pay more for a used set of 12 gauge barrels than I did for the whole gun. Still kicking myself for not buying a set of 9.3x74 barrels for around $150 for the silly reason that I did not own the Valmet at the time.

Pistol would have to be my 6" S&W Model 57. I'm not wedded to the .41 mag, but I shoot that particular pistol better than anything I have ever owned.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    M1A (.308) or Garand ('06 or .308)

M1911A .45ACP with interchangeable .22 kit

Remington 870 or Mossburg 500 12ga (or 20ga would be ok)
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Man, this is a straight up 'Old Fart' convention. I bet y'all got dem SASS badges too?
    --------------
    Ron

Banned

Here's my "Old Fart" smoke wagon for ya, and my GPS to guide me back home ..
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 11-03-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Pat nice try, cause you 2-1 (Old Fart to young buck ratio) with that analog dial caliper in the shot.

Nicely composed photo BTW...
    --------------
    Ron

I am only 46 but still a member of the OLD FART CLUB lol. The analog dial caliper does not need a battery so it works all of the time lol. Sorry I do not have a Single Action Ruger well I do but it is a .22 lol. And older than I am lol.

And even though I do have a plastic fantastic Glock lol. I also have a 1911 I threw together years ago. Ithaca frame essex slide, Wilson Match SS barrel and other things thrown in lol. But boy does that thing shoot.

But I still have to admit I am a revolver guy lol.

As for rifles. I still prefer bolt and my Marlin Lever Guns even though I do have a 60"s era AR lol. But back then they were the SKS of the day I think they were $120.00 new lol.

Ronterry I have to say that .308 frame you made is BEAUTIFUL from what I have seen of it.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Thanks Jester, it was some work because CAD files were no where to found, and the BP we're from an older or billet version. So there was a lot of measuring before I made any cuts. I finaly came up with a 505 rule! Just add .505 to the AR15 BP's, and it worked out pretty well. I finally have an AR10 LPK, and just need to etch it and anodize it. Still saving for the barrel and what nots. I might do a thread over in Gunsmithing or something, but I would recommend anyone who want's to leave the Feds out of your 2nd Amendment rights by making your own AR10 receiver - get fluent with machining AR15 blanks, cause there half the cost. (AR15 $25, AR10 $56)
    --------------
    Ron

Like others it would depend on the situation. But if it came down to flat out necessity, I've got an M38 and a Makarov in my bug out bag. I'd stick with them. If not it would be my very nicely sporterized '03A3, and my new Colt .32

I'm assuming that all the family heir looms aren't included in this...........
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Boolit Buddy
    I'm going to go with my .22 browning pistol and I'd steal my son's .22 Romanian training rifle. Both are good shooters and I have LOTS of ammo stored away for rainy days.

Lots of choices but given the only one of each "period" rule that's my pick. I guess it's head shots for me.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Boy, you guys are really high tech. Dial calipers and all.

Until I got my hands on a $10 digital (on sale) from Midway, I used to keep a vernier caliper at my desk at work. I never had to worry about anyone stealing it. There were only a couple of other people in the building who knew how to read it, and I trusted them.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Banned

Now that I started using digital, I don't pick up the old dial anymore. ....

Boolit Grand Master

Guess I go with Felix. That said, IF---I had to choose, it would be a 357 in a Rug, and a 222 or 223 (but over a 20gage
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    Another OF here, piping up with his 2 cents worth of BS!!

About the only scenario I can think of that would cause me to pick one handgun and one rifle would be a complete breakdown of society of catastrophic proportions. In a situation like that I would grab my Colt Woodsman and Savage 99 .30/30 and walk away from all the rest. Ammo for either can be found anywhere, plus a brick of .22's, a .30 mould/tong tool/pound of powder/ few hundred primers/ stick of lube don't take up much room in a backpack. Pry WW's off of abandoned cars and melt them in a soupcan- you can keep the .30/30 going out in the hinterland long after supplies of factory ammo dry up.

Forget the GPS. Buy some good old fashioned topo maps and a good compass for your bug-out bag. If the sh*t has hit the fan to the extent where you have to "bug out" there's a good chance the GPS won't be functioning. OT anecdote: the Navy no longer requires learning celestial navigation or use of the sextant at the Naval Academy, per my Midshipman nephew. Most warships don't even have one on board anymore. What happens if the satellites are knocked out, or a nuclear shock wave negates the navigation gimmickry?