WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky

Thread: leading in a 40 xdm

Boolit Master

leading in a 40 xdm

Does anyone have experience shooting cast through the XDM??? I know leading is a tired subject. Probably eventually I can figure it out with the help of the archives here, but if anyone can save me some primers at this point, I would appreciate it.

I got a new 40 xdm in February. Does that mean I bought into the Obamamania? I hope the answer is no, but I probably did. I ordered a Lee 175 TC mold for it straight away from F&M and when it still hadn't come 10 days ago, I cancelled the order and got it from another vendor who had it in stock.

Anyway, to the question/problem. I cast up a pile of bullets for it and loaded up 15with 3.8 grains of clays. They shot 860 average of 5 over the chrono. Then I shot 10 at a target at 30 yards. only three bullets hit a 20" by 20" target. I had grouped about two inches with the gun with some factory stuff bought during the interminable wait for the mold. I took the gun home and examined it and found leading in the first third of the barrel, although not as much as I expected after that terrible accuracy.

Bullets were cast from WW and shot the day after they were cast.
    Sized .401 and lubed with speed green.
    Sized bullets do measure .401 to 401.5
    Bullets loaded and pulled measure only slightly under .401
    Barrel slug measures .40025 or so. I mean a quarter of a hash past .400 on the micrometer.

The rifling on the xdm barrel is ballard, but is not real deep. Could it be that the bullets are stripping through the rifling? Do I need to try a slower powder? Do I need a harder alloy to grab the rifling better? A different powder is going to be my first experiment if no one else can give me a better idea.
    Last edited by happy7; 06-09-2009 at 05:57 AM.

Sounds like the slugs are a little soft. Have you checked the hardness? What lube are you using? Trying a slower powder might help. Try some win 231 . Most of all make absolutely sure your barrel is clean. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in shortly.

Ratt

Boolit Master

I measured my boolits on my saeco tester. They tested at 12 bhn so not soft.

I tried using True Blue powder which is one of the slowest listed for the 40 S&W

This did reduce the leading a lot although there is still a little, but they do group fairly well now and no more tumbling like before.

Boolit Master
    ill be watching this thread as im looking into getting an xdm40.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Not the same caliber, but my XD9 likes a hard boollit, I water drop for it & so far, I've not had a leading problem.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

1 st problem- Cast and loaded next day ( give em time to harden a little more for that particular load) 1-2 weeks
    2) Did you crimp too much ( Just smooth out the bell)
    3) Did you flare the case a little so your not scraping the cast bullet when seating?
    3) Start at about 3.2 grains then work up with Clays....3.2 may not even work the action but start there anyways. ALWAYS work your loads up
    4) You may too close to the edge with 3.8 Clays in your particular circumstances..... In other words, your bullet may be just a little too soft, it may work at 3.5 grs
    5) Brand new pistol not broke in yet? Slight chance

Quote Originally Posted by troy_mclure View Post
    ill be watching this thread as im looking into getting an xdm40.
    Me too! I am casting Lee 124 gr RN's for my XDm. Currently trying several different powders (HS-6, Accurate No 5, Ramshot True Blue and Zip) to find a good accurate load for USPSA and IDPA. I shot in my IDPA match this month and had a wee little bit of leading after nearly 100 rounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    1 st problem- Cast and loaded next day ( give em time to harden a little more for that particular load) 1-2 weeks
    2) Did you crimp too much ( Just smooth out the bell)
    3) Did you flare the case a little so your not scraping the cast bullet when seating?
    3) Start at about 3.2 grains then work up with Clays....3.2 may not even work the action but start there anyways. ALWAYS work your loads up
    4) You may too close to the edge with 3.8 Clays in your particular circumstances..... In other words, your bullet may be just a little too soft, it may work at 3.5 grs
    5) Brand new pistol not broke in yet? Slight chance
    Good post Randy I am good on all but possibly #5?
    Last edited by Chunky Monkey; 07-28-2009 at 07:58 AM.
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

I cast using the Lee 175 TC mold, but it is for a S&W M&P 40. Water drop then for a hardness in the high 20's using the Lee Hardness tester, and load them using Ramshot Zip or Win 231. They usually sit for at least a week before shooting.

Both the accuracy and the lack of substantial leading are quite acceptable. I've shot 250 rounds at range sessions with only minimal leading.
    -Bob

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
    Enduring the Obamination.