Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I think I made a goof - not sure though

Boolit Buddy
    Ok - fiiiinnnnaaaaallllyyyy got a decent group at 20-25 yards (anything previous to this I was getting like 1.5' [yes, feet] groups.

I tried the 13 grains of Red Dot, w/ gas check, patched to .332", and lubed it with Alox and got a real tight group at 20-25 yards. Group was like 3".

I think I'll still try a slower powder to see if I can bump of the velocity but I'll need to cast more bullets.

... I can breath now knowing the rifle isn't mysteriously out of whack.

Update...........................Chrony Info
    Impeccable:
    5 shots using the above load - 13 gr Red Dot, gas check, patched to .332, lubed w/ Alox

1. 1409 fps
    2. 1416 fps
    3. 1407 fps
    4. 1406 fps
    5. 1407 fps

AVG: 1409 fps
    ES: 10
    SD: 4

Group 4.5" at 80 yards. While the group is fair to good, the Chorny info is fantastic. Now if I just do my part. I wouldn't take it hunting with that load, but sure is a great plinker.

..............Another Update
    Decided to do some BB gun practice with the kids. My 5 yr old son is a lefty, and has a hard time not aiming with his right eye. So, teaching him to concentrate with his left-eye (dominant) instead of using his right eye. Working on keeping the buttstock against the shoulder. Yesterday, he had a hard time without the patch. Today, he was nailing the target. By the way, BB guns shoot at 240fps.

...this says it all.....
    Last edited by Black Wolf; 05-31-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Update Chrony info.

Black Wolf, I still think you are using too fast of a powder. Way back on post #11 Docone31 was asking the same thing. Several other posters asked too. I went back and read the entire thread from the start and your bullet size and wrap seems to be fine. So even though you got a SD of just 4 which is usually an indication of consistency I have seen that not be true on occasion. Would you try some medium burning powders so we could see the results?

Boolit Master

Yeah, I use either 4895, or 4064. Good clean burn.
    I found, going on the lighter side of the load, I get lousey groups, and carbon necks.
    With paper patching, we are not firing a modified cast load.
    I treat them like jacketeds, with less fouling.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by windrider919 View Post
    Black Wolf, I still think you are using too fast of a powder. Way back on post #11 Docone31 was asking the same thing. Several other posters asked too. I went back and read the entire thread from the start and your bullet size and wrap seems to be fine. So even though you got a SD of just 4 which is usually an indication of consistency I have seen that not be true on occasion. Would you try some medium burning powders so we could see the results?

Ok - I'll need to cast more bullets, may take a few days because I'm traveling out of town for the next few. These next ones I'll try both 4895 and 4064, using the minimum load data for jacketed bullets. For my own notes: Use .325" sized, PP to .335", No check, light lube.