WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: too much antimony

Boolit Mold

too much antimony

I have a great supply of type metal. It has a lot of antimony in it. Is there a way to remove much of the antimony? My paper patch bullets are not bumping up and I feel that I need to reduce the antimony content.

Boolit Master

I would, assuming that you are talking about monotype, use 2 lbs of type metal with 7 lbs of scrap lead and add about 1/2 pound of 50/50 solder. If you have WW, then try 1 lb of type metal with 8 lbs of ww and 1/2 lb of 50/50.
    The type metal by itself probably runs in the high 20s for hardness and won't bump up at all.
    If you have a lot more type metal than you need, you can probably trade it off here for WW or lead.

Jack

Boolit Grand Master
    I've found that 3 pounds of monotype mixed with 7 pounds of pure lead is about equal to WW alloy. Adjust the ratios to achieve the amount of antimony desired.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Are you shooting black powder?
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Mold
    yes, I am shooting black powder in a 45/70

Boolit Master

Vern, PM sent.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Then you might want to use pure lead to get the obturation you need. You could dilute that linotype forever and not get it nearly as soft. Are you using a patched boolit that fits inside the bore?
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!