MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cowboy Action

Banned

Cowboy Action

Ghost town, tumble weed rolls by, sound of wind with the saloon piano heard in the distance. Let's see some of those cowboy revolvers.

Boolit Master

Mine is a Uberti Cattleman imported by Taylor's like this one only I have the 5.5 inch barrel version in 45 Colt

A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

I shoot a pair of 2nd Gen Colt 1851 Navys. Will have to get some pictures up on of these day.

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Boolit Master

I should note I have the gun but I do not do the cowboy action stuff. one there is no clubs in the area (only a fast draw club) and two just too expensive of a hobby for me even if there was a club. I do not even shoot trap anymore as it got too pricey.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Bub
    Two cap'n'ball sixguns,a single shot break open shotgun,and a used pistol caliber levergun are all that's really needed to get into cowboy action shooting.

warning.... thread drift in progress....

I really like the look of the Beretta Stampede (I think that is what they are called) revolvers. They are the break open style. I think they are clones of the S and W Mod #3 Schofields. I think Beretta makes 'em with a nickel plated finish.

Just curious if you CAS guys know if any company happens to make them in stainless?? I guess they are all 5" barrels or longers??

Pardon the thread jack... Thanks!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by willyboy View Post
    Two cap'n'ball sixguns,a single shot break open shotgun,and a used pistol caliber levergun are all that's really needed to get into cowboy action shooting.

That is a lot of money for some one on a limited monthly income. Most steel framed cap and ball now run close to 300 bucks I would suspect a used lever gun to run at least 250 if not more and a used single shot probably a 100 so that adds up to close to a grand. For me I would prefer cartridge guns and that is even more. So why does it have to be a pistol cartridge levergun?

Banned
    Hi. I'm back. Sorry about not replying. I like that Uberti cattleman, that looks like some of the pieces I see in the Westerns. If you don't mind, I don't understand why the discipline, Cowboy Action, requires 4 guns. I think most cowboys carried only one revolver. How do you take all that equipment into a saloon?

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    As a CAS shooter, let me step in and try to set straight some things that have been said. First, I'm on a fixed income but you can enjoy shooting local matches if they are available. I had some of my guns when I first started but it still was a good out lay of cash. CAS was started by Judge Roy Bean and a few friends. They were action combat shooters. They decided to shoot one match using single action revolvers to change things from becoming boring and that started the whole thing. It went from one gun to two to up the fun level, not to be historical correct. They had rule changes as it evolved. The targets were made large and close to open up the fun factor for the shooters. Most of the older guys like myself who are in CAS grew up watching the Saturday morning TV westerns and always wanted to be one of them guys. Most clubs will give you a whole year to gather the correct clothing and your own guns. Many a cowboy started with borrowed guns. That's another thing; how many gun matches can you go to and someone steps up and says ,you can use my gun. My problem with CAS is that I didn't get in on it 20 years ago. Go and watch and if it's in your blood you will end up shooting!!! Later David aka Fairshake
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Buddy
    My original SASS # was 23xx, so I was in pretty early--I'd suggest you start with a pair of cartridge single actions, a Marlin carbine in caliber to match your revolvers, and a double 12ga. Pistol caliber carbines are required to minimize target damage. The four guns are necessary because that's what the stages are written for--and you'll need a cart to carry 'em around. Fun game, extremely friendly folks at all levels, I don't have the time currently to travel 2 hours to the nearest "local" matches. My wife called it "Barbie for big boys"--I won't admit to what I spent in 10 years of active competition, but on the way to one match in the mid-90's I realized I had 5 shotguns in the truck! Hello, my name is Pill Roller, and I'm an addict. If it matters, I've always believed that matches are typically won or lost with the shotgun--lots of folks can hose lead through a hogleg or lever carbine, but many fewer can handle a double or 97 smoothly and reload very quickly. Oh, and for the side matches, don't forget the derringer, the pocket pistol, the lever rifle, the buffalo rifle.....and then there are hats and boots and----you get the idea.

Banned
    Most clubs will give you a whole year to gather the correct clothing
    My wife called it "Barbie for big boys
    The thread isn't about CA shooting, but about revolvers. But you have brought up some good information for those who may contemplate getting into the CA shooting.

Boolit Master

Like I said from what you guys are saying it is an expensive sport to get started. As far as the pistol cartridges go over rifle thats not fair either as any rifle cartridge as you are reloaders know can be downloaded and use cast bullets.

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

jh45gun,

Have you seen the distance of the rifle targets, I wouldn't want to shoot a match with someone using a high powered rifle round even downloaded. There is a lot of fragments flying with some of the warthog pistol loads. You can use the Rifle rounds in the long Range matches.

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Banned
    Beretta Stampede. Now that's a good find. How does it compare to a Vaquero?

Boolit Buddy

Here's Mine

A pair of Taurus Gaucho's in polished stainless with fake Ivory grips.. Love these guns..

Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sixguns.jpg  
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Buddy

I have all the guns, but when I saw all the clothing, boots hat etc I just did not feel comfortable buying them.

I really shoot the guns though: 3 uberti 44/40 4 3/8 bl
    1 marlin cowboy limited 44/40
    1 China made 97 replica

Boolit Master

Well I got a origional 97 cut down to a 20 inch barrel as it was cut once before so when I got it I made it the riot gun size and I have one Uberti Cattle man I got a Rolling Block in 45/70 too but that would still mean a lever gun and an other pistol plus the leather for such which is not cheap and then you say you need a cart plus all the clothes which for me a big guy would be a problem in its self. Na like I said it is an expensive hobby/sport.

Boolit Master
    I have a pair of matched Uberti Cattlemen SAA Colt clones with 5-1/2" barrels in 38-40 caliber. I changed the cylinder base pin (one jumped forward, tying up the gun with heavy loads -- not CAS loads), the mainspring (lighter), and the bolt/trigger return springs (one broke) in each.

The rifle is a Uberti 1873 Winchester clone with a 24" barrel in 38-40 caliber. The only thing I did with it was change the lever safety and replace the front sight with one that had a brass ball on it. The lever safety was entirely too heavy when I got it.

The 38-40 cases are nickel plated brass. Yes, I know that they split more often than brass brass, but they are MUCH easier to see when it comes time to pick them up. Also, it is easy to keep them separate from my 44-40's, without having to read the headstamp.

The shotgun is a Stevens 311 SxS in 16ga. I still use purple paper shells that I bought in the 1960's.

I use a Ruger blackhawk in 45LC with a 4 5/8 barrel - one only
    A Winchester 94 Trapper with 16" barrel in 45LC and a double shotgun (12g) that the previous owner had spilt the barrels, although they are still 24".
    Yep, it isn't cheap but it still cost less to set up for this comp than to buy my two shotguns for trap and skeet!
    Do, or do not. There is no try.
    Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by jh45gun View Post
    That is a lot of money for some one on a limited monthly income. Most steel framed cap and ball now run close to 300 bucks I would suspect a used lever gun to run at least 250 if not more and a used single shot probably a 100 so that adds up to close to a grand. For me I would prefer cartridge guns and that is even more. So why does it have to be a pistol cartridge levergun?
    I've seen C&B's for around $200 new a bunch of times. The rest of your numbers sound about right. The lever-gun number might be a tad low, at least in my area.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus