RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: big stray tomcat. his days are numbered

Boolit Master

big stray tomcat. his days are numbered

momma cat brought out her kittens to the food bowl yesterday. they been hiding in the shed. I was just out there and heard a commotion. the tom was killing the kittens. first clear shot I get on him he is gone forever

Sometimes a good shepherd must perform a catsecution for the good of the land and the inhabitants thereof.
    Isaiah 45 - I AM the Lord and there is none else

That's pretty normal behavior if they aren't his kittens.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    they are partly his kittens of the three ive seen 2 of them look just like him, yellow. the other one is black and white just like big boy, the dominant male of my pride

Acclimating to ambient temperature is normal behavior too if you can poke a hole in something vital. There are several ferals in the area as well as other critters...catching your supper is just life but I don't put up with that tom-cat-foolery.

Suppressed .22 + CCI Quiet segmented HP = solved problem ...at least it does here in the 'burbs, just don't discuss with the neighbors. 3 S's = Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up
    Isaiah 45 - I AM the Lord and there is none else

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I’ve had sows eat piglets too. They went to the first of the line for next to butcher.

Boolit Master
    oh no, im not in the burbs, im in a place where the sheriff will come out for old ladies and shoot feral dogs. ive keep 12 gauge, 22 pistol and rifle and a 22 pellet gun handy one at each door just for unwanted critters

We tried barn cats (fixed). Coyotes got them, but not before their buddy a big orange tom starting marking the pallet rack inside the barn. There is no more big orange tom in the area, coyotes beat me to him.

Boolit Master

Mixed feelings. I'm a cat person myself. I hate to think of putting a cat down, stray tom or not. But, if he's killing your kittens I totally understand. But as mentioned above, that is pretty normal cat behavior. Even lions do that.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master
    Slightly OT, but I used to have two Australian Shepherd dogs, a bitch and her daughter, who had an organized routine to kill cats. They would slowly approach from 180 degrees apart and the cat wouldn't know which way to look. At some point, the cat would panic and make a break, which was when the dogs would strike. They would almost always catch the cat and pull it in half, then leave the remains where they lay. We had an old one-eyed tom who lived in the garage since both dogs were young, and he was the only one they never attacked. I saw them pull the same trick on a squirrel once, and they never ate the carcass - it was just killing for sport.

Where I am, I don’t have that problem. If that behavior transferred to some neighbor families I wouldn’t object.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Grand Master

feral cats will take a real toll not only on kittens but rabbits birds and other wildlife.
    Had a orange tom get in the garage he decided the place to lay was on the soft top of the t bird. Orange fur all over that black soft top. Took a long time to get it all off that top. He didnt last long.
    Theres a big tom next door on the vacant property that may have to be dealt with sometime.

Boolit Buddy

I don't know why it is, but I've never seen an orange tom cat that wasn't a pain in the ****. They seem to be mostly crazy for some reason.
    Running the ridges and riding the rivers of the Southwest Virginia Appalachians

Moderator Emeritus

I used to have an old orange tom that hung around... think old age got him... he was a terror on the gophers, skunks, and even groundhogs. When I was gardening he would wander up to rub my legs, get a back scritch then wander off. Pets were always n his terms and I warned people not to try and pet him unless he initiated it.

Miss the old guy just laying on the corner of the deck if I was sitting out there. Pretty sure he was a drop off, he knew people... as he got older I gave him food once a day and he would empty the bowl in one sitting. Pretty sure he was abused because he would not go near men. But if I was outside alone he was always near me, watched me... he had a den under my shed in an old groundhog burrow so nice and warm in winter. He dragged an old blanket I gave him down there and used it to block the tunnel on cold days. By looks he was at least 18 the last time I fed him. He ate then got some pets and laid at my feet for an hour then wandered off to never be seen again. Like he said his goodbyes and knew it was time... he was pretty crippled up and battle scarred by then.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodtroll View Post
    I don't know why it is, but I've never seen an orange tom cat that wasn't a pain in the ****. They seem to be mostly crazy for some reason.

Yep!

Set a live trap and you'll have your feral tom overnight. Then deal with him in whatever way you see fit.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , S&W Mod 17 K22, Stevens Favorite .22mag 30GM, ADC .45/410, CZ SP01 9mm

Banned
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0041 (2).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	326882this one showed up and took a liking to me, and comes around to visit and as i have enough land i don,t mind him. he brings me things for the food i put out for him. he never comes around when others are here.

Boolit Grand Master
    Neighbor had an unfixed female. Told him he better get her fixed (she was about 12 weeks old then) so he doesn't have a bunch of kittens. Next thing I know he is complaining about the kittens everywhere. One day he was feeding hay and found all the kittens in pieces. Really upset his wife. Next thing he had kittens around again. One survived this time. He had momma fixed then. Think a car got the kitten.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodtroll View Post
    Cat redheads.
    Don Verna

Nah, they aren't all bad. We had a young one tossed out back in 94 in MS. Hid in my shop for a week or so, would slip in dog yard (couple of lazy dachshunds at the time) and steal their dry food.
    Finally got hands on the thing and he became my daughter's companion for the 10 or so years he was around. Became a house cat and we never had a litter box and never had a mess in the house. He and my daughter were best buds. He left one morning and didn't come back...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk