Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting tricks for brass molds

Boolit Master

Casting tricks for brass molds

I have come across a MP 312-159 HP mold that I forgot I even had. It is brand new so I am looking for advice on how to start up with brass molds. I have been casting for 55 years with steel molds and probably 8 years with aluminum. The steel is easy, the aluminum is easy when all the stars align right. Aluminum has to be hot! Hotter than I like to cast at. I was just experimenting today with a steel mold and the same bullet in an aluminum mold and I had to have the temp at 750 for the aluminum. They jumped right out of the mold at that temp but as the temps went down to 700 I started having trouble getting them to drop. At 650 where this alloy likes to run they would stick something terrible. Bullets were formed good with no wrinkles but no drop. The steel mold was dropping them like they were pushed out at 650. And no frosty bullets. I have never used brass so some pointers to get started would be great. And yes, I already knw about getting the mold perfectly clean.

Boolit Grand Master

Some like to season the mould by pre heating it several times to get the patina started on it. You do want to pre heat the mould as brass sucks a lot of heat till it gets up to temp. It heats very evenly though out. I lube pins ands hinges with 2 cycle motor oil very lightly. Cast a a brisk pace until the bullets get frosty. then slow down or lower temps. Brass holds heat longer than iron or aluminum.

I would clean the mould with dish soap and water with a soft tooth brush, dry and warm to 350-400 degrees letting cool a couple times. When cool lightly oil pins hinges and top of blocks bottom of sprue plate with a good 2 cycle oil. By lightly a drop or so on one end of a q tip wipe on and then remove excess with the dry end. You dont want to see oil but just the sheen of it.

Boolit Master
    I can do the preheat, I have an old, really old hot plate. This is one of the ones with the circular burner. I put a piece if 3/16 steel plate on top of the burner to spread out the heat and set my molds on that.

Boolit Buddy
    No need to go through all that seasoning/pre heat...you are not going to start dropping perfect bullets instantly no matter what specially if it's your first ever brass mold. Wash with soap and water, make sure it is completely dry...for sure you already know about the dangers of any moisture and lead mix. Just ease into it, get your lead hot and insure it has maximum flow for your application. When I started, my lead stream was inconsistent which caused me issues with my pour. If it's a two cavity, the mold will come up to temp quickly and when your bullets start frosting a bit just slow your pace by a few seconds...don't change your temp. If your working with a 3, or more cavity, I alternate my pours. I'll start at the front of my mold and work my way back towards the handle, next pour I'll start at the handles and work my way towards the front of the mold and so on. This has helped me get better heat distribution quicker and I can keep it longer for when I need to slow it down I don't worry much about one end getting cooler more than the other. When I get some sticking issues, I just tilt the mold in the direction they tend to fall out easier, open my mold ever so slightly, tap (I don't beat on my molds but do hit them occasionally with my broken broom handle), and open. When I have encountered problems with sticking, it's never been the hp/pins, it's because finely cut bullet bands tend to grab onto the inside of the mold and sometimes gives off the impression that my pins are sticking. If it was really about patina, you can skip all the time it takes heat cycling and just go straight to a vinegar bath. Just look up how vintage motorcycle guys age brass in europe. If you've been casting for this long, you'll do great with brass...just trust your self.

There are alot of good tips and techniques on the MP-molds website. They are definitely worth reading.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    I have come across a MP 312-159 HP mold that I forgot I even had. It is brand new so I am looking for advice on how to start up with brass molds. I have been casting for 55 years with steel molds and probably 8 years with aluminum. The steel is easy, the aluminum is easy when all the stars align right. Aluminum has to be hot! Hotter than I like to cast at. I was just experimenting today with a steel mold and the same bullet in an aluminum mold and I had to have the temp at 750 for the aluminum. They jumped right out of the mold at that temp but as the temps went down to 700 I started having trouble getting them to drop. At 650 where this alloy likes to run they would stick something terrible. Bullets were formed good with no wrinkles but no drop. The steel mold was dropping them like they were pushed out at 650. And no frosty bullets. I have never used brass so some pointers to get started would be great. And yes, I already knw about getting the mold perfectly clean.
    I'll add a hopeful helpful tip suggested to me a few years back. To wit, I also have a circular -- G.E. brand -- hot plate, and I copied others' idea of an inverted huge tin can with a "doorway" cut into it for the mould atop it. Suggested to me was to pre-heat the mould up-side down! The friend who suggested this had the thoughts that the sprue plate on top, as well as overall top of mould -- that which FIRST gets contact with the melted alloy -- needs to have the least cooling effect on alloy as it is being poured into cavities. Maybe a "better" -- or perhaps just superstitious -- BUT -- this is what I have done since. I reckon, "it can't hurt"
    geo

Boolit Master
    George, I am planning right now to fabricate a square box to do just what you said, A mold oven. I might even control it with a PID since the controls on mine are a bit iffy. I always worry it will go full hot which WILL meld an aluminum mold.

Boolit Master
    I went to the MP site but all I saw were molds. no information on using them. I will look again.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_ANTIDOTE View Post
    No need to go through all that seasoning/pre heat...you are not going to start dropping perfect bullets instantly no matter what specially if it's your first ever brass mold. Wash with soap and water, make sure it is completely dry...for sure you already know about the dangers of any moisture and lead mix. Just ease into it, get your lead hot and insure it has maximum flow for your application. When I started, my lead stream was inconsistent which caused me issues with my pour. If it's a two cavity, the mold will come up to temp quickly and when your bullets start frosting a bit just slow your pace by a few seconds...don't change your temp. If your working with a 3, or more cavity, I alternate my pours. I'll start at the front of my mold and work my way back towards the handle, next pour I'll start at the handles and work my way towards the front of the mold and so on. This has helped me get better heat distribution quicker and I can keep it longer for when I need to slow it down I don't worry much about one end getting cooler more than the other. When I get some sticking issues, I just tilt the mold in the direction they tend to fall out easier, open my mold ever so slightly, tap (I don't beat on my molds but do hit them occasionally with my broken broom handle), and open. When I have encountered problems with sticking, it's never been the hp/pins, it's because finely cut bullet bands tend to grab onto the inside of the mold and sometimes gives off the impression that my pins are sticking. If it was really about patina, you can skip all the time it takes heat cycling and just go straight to a vinegar bath. Just look up how vintage motorcycle guys age brass in europe. If you've been casting for this long, you'll do great with brass...just trust your self.
    Heat cycling is not a big deal for me since when I am casting I have several molds on the hot plate. I can just put it on and off a few times while working with other molds. The motorcycle guys are looking for aesthetics and I am looking for function so I will stick with heat cycling since that is what the mold will be doing the rest of it's life. I am not a fan of acids on molds, too much chance for an "oops".

http://https://www.mp-molds.com/tipsntricks/

If you hit on menu, you get a drop down menu. Click on tips and tricks.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've only cast with one brass mold that I can remember, one of those minuscule Italian .58 Minie ball molds. It worked, but man did it get hot. Tiny mold, lots of lead no wonder.

Anyway I don't believe you want the brass part too clean, a bit of patina will help keep from soldering the mold together.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    to be honest brass happens to be my favorite mold block's, although a bit heavy
    I use a clam type sandwich warmer to preheat my molds
    and then I just pour until I start getting good boolits for h.p's a bit of pencil lead on the points helps from sticking
    brass you can work with the heat from the blocks longer and you don't have to run your pot so hot
    aluminum the heat dissipates quickly so you have to keep that in mind but they are nice as well
    I also like cast iron but they expensive
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    My MP brass molds like to run a lot hotter than my aluminum or steel molds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I set my hotplate a little higher when preheating a brass mold, compared to aluminum. I also run the pot a little hotter when doing hp’s. 750 will usually do it, but I have used as hot as 785. Aluminum molds I can usually get away with 725. Small diameter hp’s seem to want more heat.

Boolit Buddy
    I remember reading a warning on one of the bullet mold manufacturers sites that said brass molds can warp if heated too hot. Has anyone else heard this or had any problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I remember reading a warning on one of the bullet mold manufacturers sites that said brass molds can warp if heated too hot. Has anyone else heard this or had any problems?
    I have seen the warnings. I have never warped a mold. I think that I may have warped a Lee sprue plate once. It was when I first started casting. I can’t remember the details, but I think it was from preheating the mold with the sprue plate down on the hotplate.

As long as you want excellent bullets gotta cast them hot and fast.

Boolit Buddy
    Brass molds need to be heated higher than aluminum molds. Either way, I turn my hotplate at its highest setting and rest my mold block face down on it and the handle standing straight up. Afterwards, I'll take a propane torch and add hit along the steel and brass parts. I'll move to the ingots in my pot and melt the ingots into the pot. Then, I'll turn back to my molds. I think I'm ready in 10-15 minutes, maybe. I also use 2cycle synthetic oil for the pins and sprue plate. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by BJung View Post
    Brass molds need to be heated higher than aluminum molds. Either way, I turn my hotplate at its highest setting and rest my mold block face down on it and the handle standing straight up. Afterwards, I'll take a propane torch and add hit along the steel and brass parts. I'll move to the ingots in my pot and melt the ingots into the pot. Then, I'll turn back to my molds. I think I'm ready in 10-15 minutes, maybe. I also use 2cycle synthetic oil for the pins and sprue plate. I hope this helps.
    I would be very careful using a propane torch to heat a mold. Pinpoint heat that comes from a torch will damage the mold. Just don't. Use a hot plate or if you are cheap like me, just do 3 or 4 more casts.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    A hotplate on high is much hotter than molten lead! At least my old circular burner hotplate is. I will melt an aluminum mold, yes I actually did melt an old worn out Lee aluminum mold to see if it would do it.