RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Armadillo Hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by alfadan View Post
    I'd sure like to try my .22mag on one. Should be good medicine.
    After the .22LR fiasco I shot 2 with my .22mag. One from the back with Maxi Mag HPs. The bullet shattered on the haunch and I had to put it down with another bullet.

I bought Maxi Mag solids and they would shoot thru and thru. I was OK with them but switched to 9mm and haven't looked back.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , S&W Mod 17 K22, Stevens Favorite .22mag 30GM, ADC .45/410, CZ SP01 9mm

I was in my lower field today on the tractor and found this along the way.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240519_174858.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	326743

Got the Diller Killer ready to go at dusk.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240519_200954.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	326744
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , S&W Mod 17 K22, Stevens Favorite .22mag 30GM, ADC .45/410, CZ SP01 9mm

I've had no luck after a couple of outings. My wife bought me a game cam and I put it out last night. 10PM this guy was caught on film. I'll get him eventually.

And then there is this at 3AM. No idea what it is but most likely idea is a land stingray. Maybe a chupacabra.

2c worth:
    my neighbors in Argentina buried a 55gal barrel in corner of field with a few inches exposed (might have been a cross section of a barrel). They claimed that Armadillos headed for the corners and fell in. [were they putting me on?].

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    38 special works good, easy to load and cast for. Revolver or lever action will do the job nicely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by max it View Post
    2c worth:
    my neighbors in Argentina buried a 55gal barrel in corner of field with a few inches exposed (might have been a cross section of a barrel). They claimed that Armadillos headed for the corners and fell in. [were they putting me on?].
    I usually see dillos working the edges of my fields vs out in the open. Maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    38 special works good, easy to load and cast for. Revolver or lever action will do the job nicely.
    That's what I like about subsonic 9mm. I feel like a subsonic round 750-1000fps ~125-160 grains is the perfect dillo round.

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    They are deceptively easy to kill . The "shell" is only stiff leather hard and not very thick at all . 22LR or any thing you hunt squirrel / rabbits with .
    I squirrel hunt with a 20 ga. and #5 shot but usually take a armadillo with the 22 LR revolver I carry on my belt , CB cap or shorts work fine ... a head shot is best .

Most armadillo's do not carry Hansen's , the few that do are usually in the deep South , Louisiana and Texas ... the bacteria doesn't thrive in cold weather areas . Reaserch has shown only about 6% in the deep south have it ...that's a low number and there is a easy way to avoid transmisson ... Cook to 155 F. - 160 F. med-well !
    Do Not Undercook ...Cooking the meat well , as you would cook pork (remember trichinosis) kills the Hanses's bacteria just as it would the trichinosis bacteria .

They are edible and the meat quite good . My Mom said that during the 1930's depression Her daddy would take armadillo , squirrel and the occasional rabbit to feed them ... She called them "Hoover Hog's " ... Quote " We would have starved slap to death if not for the Hoover Hogs and such daddy shot with his 38 S&W DA belt pistol , times was hard and meat wasn't easy to get . "

After hearing Mom's stories and seeing the curved knives her daddy made to clean under the curved armadillo shells ... my brother and I decided to take a couple and try them . Taste like pork . We made a great Chili and Sauce Picante , cooked the meat well and neither of us got Hansen's .
    Don't be afraid to try eating , simply cooking the meat as you would cook pork - well done - kills any bacteria ... and not every armadillo is carring it .
    My Dad always insisted we try and utilize whatever we killed for food ... He didn't take to killing animals for no reason ... He said God made every animal for a reason and if we didn't need it for food then we shouldn't kill it .
    Gary
    I believe you on cooking armadillo well. But it’s not how I cook pork. I like porkchops medium. Bacon rare. Where the fat just turns from white to opaque. I even tried a bite of raw bacon just to see. The fat wasn’t good, but the muscle was okay.