Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners

Thread: old car parts

Boolit Master

old car parts

please do not turn this into politics or foreign country basing, its simply an observation for thought so that others that are thinking about restoring "grandpas" truck or car might get off the couch.

watched a documentary on making new Sheetmetal stamped parts for old cars and trucks and they for the most part use the original molds, was really cool for me because im restoring my grandfathers 78 chevy truck and was amazed at the quality and quantity of replacement parts. about 20 years ago my brother and i replaced some Sheetmetal on our grandmothers 64 and a half mustang and the fit was horrible so i was very surprised to see the current offerings being so good.

according to the documentary all Sheetmetal parts are made in one country and mostly by one company which would not really pose a problem except that the country was Taiwan. so with the given climate over there if you are thinking about restoring a special vehicle you might want to order your big Sheetmetal parts and stash them away for the time you will need them. given inflation, a part that you need down the road purchased now could save you a lot of money. i have a grain bin full of 78 chevy body parts, all new in boxes waiting for me to get around to using them and while looking at some projects that are upcoming and pricing stuff, i have in just a year saved myself about 500 bucks over current prices. and if something does happen over seas your ability to get the parts you need may not exist.

just some thought to help you convince your wife to let you start accumulating needed stuff now. my wife wanted a new car but didnt want all the electronics and tracking crap, she now has a really sound 82 blazer that has zero rust and i am going thru the motor to bullet proof it before we put it on the road and my frame off total restoration of my grandfathers truck is on the downhill side, motor fully rebuilt and runs like a top, now working on all the lines and wiring on the frame before the body goes back on, wish me luck and get going on your project, you aint getting any younger
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I am having the same thoughts about getting some more stock of parts for a couple of my tractors and combines. I keep one spare new Chinese starter, but need to get some air conditioning parts ordered, and make a list of a few other parts and filters, although they are USA made.

I also have a couple old pickup trucks worthy of some restoration, just too get them on the road again. Even if I didn't get the work done in my lifetime, I'm sure the parts would help the sale of the vehicle when I check out ! Parts to fix obsolete things never seem too get cheaper, sales just slow down until production ceases, and availability goes away forever

Boolit Master
    I buy a few parts from rock auto

I was under my current car a few years ago and looked up to a rusty power steering line so bought a replacement but never had the time to put it in

I did a oil change on it today and its now leaking ( a tiny bit ) not enough to lower the level in the resivour .
    now to find the time to change the line
    My car is in the discontinued area for rock auto 20 years old
    break pads cheep

My needs body work rust

Boolit Master
    LMC Truck out of Kansas City has all the things for trucks. No idea where they get it but they are dang good and have had the things I need for my 84 Jimmy full size. Rocker panels, door panels, dash pads, everything.

Please post some pics of the restored truck.when you get time.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Moderator Emeritus

Been looking for a truck from my younger days that didn't have the computer crap. Nothing around here and if someone has something they think they are made of gold. At the point now with my backnand such that my doing the work is basically a pipe dream. If you are going to restore something, do it now while you can. Saying I will do it later when retired doesn't always work out like you think.

Boolit Master

lmc, brothers, and all the aftermarket places get their parts from overseas. lmc seems to have the lowest prices generally and the parts breakdown makes it easy to see what your ordering. have not tried amd yet. been trying to restore grandfather truck since the mid 90's and am just now making it happen. would love to post photos but i have never been able to on this site.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    lmc, brothers, and all the aftermarket places get their parts from overseas. lmc seems to have the lowest prices generally and the parts breakdown makes it easy to see what your ordering. have not tried amd yet. been trying to restore grandfather truck since the mid 90's and am just now making it happen. would love to post photos but i have never been able to on this site.

Easiest way is to post your photos on Imgur.com then copy the direct link to post here...

Moderator Emeritus

I have a buddy who has a Bodyshop, where he is sole employee, he does old tractors also. He buys 99% of his sheet metal from Keystone. I looked at their google business listing and clicked on their "website" and LKQ Corp website pops up. ...from that website...
    "LKQ Corporation is the leading provider of alternative aftermarket, specialty salvage and recycled auto parts to repair and accessorize vehicles, with operations in North America, Europe, and Taiwan."
    OK, cutting to the chase, he buys sheet metal parts for 10 to 12 cars a year. He says it is hit or miss for proper fit. He can usually make them work, but about once a year, he has to return the sheet metal parts because they are so far out of spec, and buy used sheet metal from Auto Junk yard.
    So, not all the new aftermarket sheet metal parts are gonna be as good as you state in the OP.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

lkq is great for used parts and they are all over, mostly they only do late model stuff and a lot of plastic parts that are made who knows where, the parts i was talking about are the stamped metal oem parts for vehicles over 20 years old. i would also note that you may not find new parts for some of the oddball vehicles, not enough market to justify making the molds.

Moderator Emeritus

I did say sheet metal, most of his jobs are collector restorations and old Tractors.
    Currently there is a 76 Ford F250 in my buddies shop. Fenders, hood, door skins, cab corners were ordered from Keystone...now, just because the website on Keystone's google profile is LKQ, doesn't mean they source everything they offer from LKQ.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

keystone and lqk are the same, i believe one is the parent company and the only parts i have been able to source from them is late model, the caliber front end all fit fine but it was real thin metal and mostly plastic. i buy alot of head light assemblies and stuff like that from them, they are cheeper than dealer and auto parts stores, good place for vehicle paint supplies as well.

Boolit Master
    Thankfully I started collecting up some body parts for my 64 and 65 Chevy trucks in the late 80's and real early 90's. I got two doors, all 4 fenders, and assorted other body parts. All were originals I found in scrap yards. Got a full drive train for the 4WD that sits under my 64 which includes the T350, transfer case and front axle. Also have a 68 Chevy with a 307 small block in it. Have a couple of straight 6 engines that could be rebuilt if the original 230 in the 65 ever needed it. I also started seeing how things were going with doing rebuilds on small parts so bought 4 starter rebuild kits with all the bushings, brushes and starter drives included. Got a few solenoids too. Just rebuilt the starter on my 64 about a month ago and installed a old/new in the box AC Delco solenoid that was marked "Made in the USA"! Haven't seen that in a long time. Times have changed indeed with rebuilding these old vehicles. Hurts me to the core to think that my 1948 Farmall M has a Chinese radiator in it. I did get the original rebuilt when I took it out so if I ever take it apart again, the original will go back.