Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Quad shooting sticks

Quad shooting sticks

Not really common at all on this side of the pond but my friends across the pond use them all the time and said I should try building a set to try. And with all the elevated shooting I have to do right now due to the high grass said why not. Honestly needed to make them taller but since I had these 1/4" x4' fiber glass poles already ,said why not. Honestly it's not hard to build a set at all. Can use wood , bamboo, metal whatever. Just used these because their light and hard to break. But yeah just build two sets of regular shooting sticks . Make one set have a shallow V and one set with a deep V the. Bolt the bottoms together so they can scissor and rotate. Have one set be high higher then the other so you only have two points in the ground instead of four
    Them just take some rope ( I used 550 cord ) and tie a length between the two sets on one side ( or both) as a stop this is basically so when you deploy it they don't go out any further then you'd like. Me I have mine set so they only lengthen out enough so the very front on my stock for ended is on the front V and the back V is a bit behind my firing hand.

Looks complicated and slow but honestly if you have the 5 brain cells it takes to use a regular set of shooting sticks and and rock you body back and forth their pretty easy to use. Can very easily deploy and set up in a few seconds and go from standing crouching to sitting very quickly.

It's super stable because you get a support on the back side as well as the forearm. That being said you can just as easily use them as a normal pair of sticks by just keep the set pressed together

Also made a little lanyard ( really just a foot of 550 cord with a loop on one end and a carabineer on the other ) that you can clip into your belt loops and let's you be completely hands free. Which is nice for reloading. Saw some guys have similar to use while their glassing with their binos

Now it's not perfect at all , not thee easiest thing to use when it comes to left to right movement so no, not the best for fast moving targets jump shooting ect . But spot and stalk stuff well possibly. Also makes a decent walking stick and it's heavy or bulky like a regular tripod.
    Anyhow lil teaser of it being used full video coming out soon

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wolfdog91; 05-17-2024 at 11:45 PM.
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Enjoyed the clip, Thanks for sharing.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    I have seen this type of shooting stick arrangement before & even used it when I did. You are correct,, it can be very stable & is used in many other places.

Boolit Master

I saw one with a tripod front and bipod rear, but yours looks much easier to manipulate. Ideas are always welcome here GW

Boolit Grand Master
    What a neat idea!

Never seen it before.
    Don Verna

The fiberglass poles would be strong and light weight. Dry bamboo which can be free, for the cutting, would also be very strong and light weight. If you hang a shot bag with 5# of sand below the apex it would be a lot more stable an a windy day. Done this on my tripod mounted survey equipment on windy days, helps a good bit. I carry a weight in my field box with 2ft of cord with hooks on each end, eye is mounted on the bottom of the tripod. Works like the hanging weight, motion dampener on ships.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    What a neat idea!

Never seen it before.
    Wolfdog ....you have hit the ground running wringing out all the fun a man can have with the shooting sports...keep it up.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Just love the creativity on this site. Thanks Wolf !

Boolit Buddy

Great post Wolfdog91! I think I would trip over it and hurt myself. You make it look easy to use.

Boolit Master

Good job Wolfdog. Very functionable.
    Last edited by littlejack; 05-20-2024 at 12:19 PM.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master

Wolfdog, I have had a pair of homemade shooting sticks for many years now but I like the looks of those you made. Mine are the traditional style with only 2 wooden sticks and small spikes on the bottoms. Yours look very well thought out. james
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 05-20-2024 at 10:08 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    What a neat idea!

Never seen it before.
    Me, too! And, it does appear to be a "winner"; my only concern is carrying it to site...
    geo

Nice job!

Boolit Grand Master
    Love it.

I like it, looks really handy
    Thanks for sharing

Boolit Master
    Great idea. I bet the op could sell these here.

Boolit Master
    Looks great. Before I finished reading I was thinking man this looks so easy to use. Get you a weed eater. Never know what is hiding in that bush lol.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Once the op expressed interest in gun smithing. I pm'ed him and offered a desirable general manual. I still ain't heard from him.