Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: scope my Ruger #1 375 H&H for me

Boolit Mold

scope my Ruger #1 375 H&H for me

got my first #1 375 H&H and trying to scope it. everything that I'v tryed has to much eye relief to it. the scopes I'v tryed are--leupold 6.5x20 EFR---tasco 6x24 varmint--6x10 Simmons Aztec. started with the standard medium ring,then got extension ring
    still to much eye relief.
    eyes are 60+yrars,so I'v allways used a lot of power.
    will be shooting 265gr cast,on paper and armadillo shooting------25 to 150 yds on back yard range.

all suggestions welcomed
    thank you for your time

emmie

I peeped mine, with a clip-on peep from New England Custom Gun ( I'm 66y.o.)

But, "too much eye relief" ? ? ?

I don't believe so.

I believe it's more likely that the scopes you've tried have been unable to be mounted far enough to the rear, for you to get a full & clear sight picture.

It may very well be impossible with those varmint-type scopes - misplaced on a .375 Tropical Rifle, anyway.

If you're commited to a scope, however, you might first want to strip one of the scopes you already have of it's rings, and hold it in place above the mounted rifle, sliding it until a proper sight picture FOR YOU is obtained.

You can then denote the scope's position, relative to the Ruger mount notches, and see if Ruger's offset ringset will work.
    Also, different scopes/models position their adjustment turrets in various postions, fore/aft on the scope tube body - which complicate mounting.
    Compact scopes, in particular, are a PITA to mount on many rifles, particularly Ruger #1's, due to their relatively short tube bodies.

One of the better scopes for a #1-H Ruger is a straight-tube Leupold, either a fixed 3x or a low-powered variable like the 1.5-4x20m with a prominent reticle.

Last edited by pietro; 05-18-2009 at 01:58 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Scope on Ruger #1 45-70

I use a Leupold 2 x 7x with heavy cross hairs. The eye relief is a bit short at 7x but if I hold the stock tight I get full field of view with it. I shoot cast at 50 tio 100 yrs. Leupold have about 4 in eye relief.

Boolit Bub
    I have a cheap 2X7 Nikon Prostaff on my 458 #1 and like the leupold, I have to stretch at 7X. I usually leave it at 5.5 to 6 and it is great.

captainkirk

Boolit Buddy James C. Snodgrass's Avatar
    I use a K 2.5 and the NECG peep on my 458 Lott . I don't you can get much more relief than a Leopold . Good luck James

Boolit Master
    I put the double offset Ruger rings and a 6x Leupold on one of my #1's and it did well. I put a Single offset on my other #1 and a varible Leupold and it did very well, also..
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I have a Leupold 6-18x40 on a Ruger 1b. Worked for me without having to resort to offset rings.

-ktw

Boolit Master
    I like my scopes to sit a LOT farther back.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

In Remembrance
    My Ruger #1 in 375 H&H has a 24" Magna Ported barrel and no front sight. I was lucky to have an old Weaver V9 in the closet. I think it fits good, looks good and works good. I got it for five bucks. My second choice was a couple of old worn Weaver scopes in 2.5 and 4 power with post and crosshairs. Not nice enough looking for a #1 Tropical. I will be using only cast in my gun also. A straight tube low power scope will work good for your needs. Burris?
    Life is good

Boolit Master
    I have a Leupold 1.5 x 5 on mine. Looks good and works well.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    Be glad yours shoots well enough to need a scope. Mine has a throat so wide and so deep it makes my boolits feel inadequate.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine sports a Burris 3-12x? signature and I had to add a 1'' pad to make the stock long enough. With the discontinued Winchester 270PP it will put 3 in the same hole at 100yd off the bench every time. Just got my Lyman 375449 in and cant wait to try it out in the #1 and the T/C 375 JDJ contender

Boolit Grand Master

emmie

You may not want to use all that power with a rifle capable of the recoil a .375 H&H can generate, even with cast bullets. The higher the magnification the shorter the eye relief will be. I'd suggest looking at the Leupold 2.5x8X. Lots of eye relief and 8X is really a lot of magnification. Also the 1/5x5s or the 2x7s are worth looking at. I use a straight 2.5X scope on mine and am glad of it. Also consider that scopes set far back are also conducive to giving "scope eye", particularly from the bench.

Larry Gibson