Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMCD ProductsInline Fabrication

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: paper size and how many wraps?

I have stopped using GCs under paper. Kind of like wearing socks over your shoes. If the paper doesent protect the bullet the check underneath it wont do much for you.

I'm finding this very interesting! I'm still in early days and haven't actually range test any patched bullets but I have been shooting them into my 'firing tube' in my shed.

I tried cigarette paper for it's thinness but is it soft when wet! I am still using my hot wax lube for sealing and holding the bullet. I don't have the appropriate sizers and my bullets are a little large from the original 'large cast' concept for my Lee Enfield. The recovered bullets show no base deformation from pressure and there is no flame cutting so things look encouraging. My patched bullets are currently so large that they will chamber tight but won't come out again. The 'dough-nut' at the neck shoulder junction stops them from being pushed back into the case.

My job evapourated so I don't have the opportunity to make any more moulds and dies.

Boolit Master

I have found, lined notebook paper is great stuff.
    I presize my castings to eliminate extra stress on the casting, and sizeing die.
    Cigarette paper does seem to be working for you, but it looks like a lot of work.
    I found, as long as I do the same number of wraps, internal diameter is not tremendously important. I size both my .30s, and .303 British, prime casting to .308. With two wraps of notebook paper, or equivalent, I can size to .314, or .309 easily depending on the caliber. Paper being non-compressable I do suspect the lead is being sized along with the paper.