WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Range for Hangun Load Development?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    IMO cast bullets in a 9mm are for cheap practice. It is foolish to use cast bullets for self defence.
    Why?
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

When starting out with a new caliber I Look thru several loading manuals caliber and bullet weight then make note of the 3 or 4 common powders in each one and work from there. Start low and work up. If you carry factory loads try and duplicate point of impact point of aim with your hand loads.

As to distance to test, test at a distance you are sure of yourself, work from a rest and as solid a bench as you can. Find your load and then work on improving your position and skill set. If your not up to 25 or 50 yds then testing at that wont tell you much. Pay attention to you sights and trigger pull learn to "call" your shots.

You can do a lot to improve thru dry fire exercises also. But have no ammo any where near when doing so. You can learn and improve sight picture, trigger pull release and follow thru. Another great learning tool is a 22 pistol. For most practice is a great tool

Moderator Emeritus

I due load development at 25 yards. I might practice self defense shooting at closer ranges but I might shoot for iron at 3-4 times that range. I don't want inherit inaccuracy issues when shooting at longer ranges. All load development is shot from a good rest.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Well I started my shooting today. I'm shooting at 50 ft. I chose that range because I have some 50 ft slow fire pistol targets and that distance fits comfortably in my backyard range. Another point is at this distance I can still see the target. I haven't checked into what the bullseye looks like at 25 yards. I've gotten new glasses this past summer and they help; but....

I have some data to review for now. I shot 3 loads using the Win244 and 3 loads with the CFE Pistol. My OAL is much shorter than the Hodgdon data. I had to go with 1.060" to get it to fit in the gun. At first glance, it looks like the Win244 may come out ahead. Time will tell.

Boolit Buddy
    The bullseye should get larger as the range gets longer. A lot of people forget step #1 of shooting iron sights - focus on the front sight and let the target become blurry. If you have too small of a bullseye for the range, when you focus on your front sight and the small bullseye goes blurry it disappears. You need to be able to line up the clear front sight on the blurry bullseye.

I would stick to 7-10 yards with a pocket pistol. Practice makes perfect, but.....do not expect magic from a compact or pocket pistol, especially in a 9mm. They as a group are intended as a close up defensive arm. Poly rifled barrels are not recommended for cast bullets by any manufacturer, of any pistol with a poly rifled barrel. Some casters do shoot cast in poly barrels, but if you send the gun in for warranty repair....well, do not expect much help.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    25 yards from a rest for all handguns, even the small ones.
    Ditto.

Only thing I would add is to keep your Chrony as close as you can without letting the powder gas reach it before the bullet does. Fifteen feet or so has always worked for me. Moving it farther out is an open invitation for an errant round to terminate it. Not an issue with these radar chronographs, if you can get one work. Mine doesn't.

nb. I did my defensive handgun practice (when I could still walk) at five and ten yards.
    Last edited by uscra112; 11-10-2023 at 05:52 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

start at a distance you can make accurate, repeatable hits on a fine target ( something from a postage stamp to a playing card)
    work at exactly placing your boolits were your sights are looking... adjust sights or hold till it works... increase distance and speed to keep pushing for better accuracy, quicker hits, and stretching your range window... with an auto loader or revolver i have not shot before i start with 12 yd and a dead center hold and see what i get...

Boolit Master
    While shooting close -in for speed can be entertaining and useful practice, shooting at longer distances with little pistols and revolvers can be surprising. S&W J-frames, 1911 Officer's Model the S&W Shield and the Springfield XDs are all capable of hitting 2 foot squares at 150 yards consistently, once hold-over/ front sight and sometimes slide hold-up amount is figured out. Starting out at 50 feet seems good, but after initial work-up give the longer ranges a try. It is usually an entertaining and usually will put a smile on your face.

Boolit Bub
    Practice distances are a different thing than meaningful load testing.

For load testing, you need enough distance for differences to show up , and to remove or minimize other variables .

Hence two hand rested/ braced at 25 yards . Use context of the gun & purpose to evaluate results .

Boolit Master
    With the cost of components these days, we should consider asking an expert. On this issue, Clint said, “a man should know his limitations”.

And the only way to know, is too know. Shoot at the maximum range you want and either increase or decrease the load till fliers stop / start. That’s the limit of that combination. Could be the combination will never work, so you can change a variable or lower your expectations.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.