RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Pepper!!!

Moderator Emeritus

My now wife thought I was putting pepper on fries to prevent her from eating them. I told her I could not imagine eating them without pepper.

I was at a Thai restaurant and was served something I didn't recognize. I ate it whole and got a crazy burn. It turned out to be a pepper stalk with a dozen immature corns added for flavor. It was the only one in a pot meant for 40 people and I have never seen another one.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

There are some peppers from Asia that make jalapenos taste like sugar candy by comparison.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    There are some peppers from Asia that make jalapenos taste like sugar candy by comparison.
    Winger Ed
    Don't have to go to Aisa, just buy some Carolina reapers!!!
    I tried every pepper I could in my travels on the gray taxis.

Boolit Man
    Mt Gianni,

I am laughing in tears over the pepper stalk story. Thank you.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a black pepper grinder, a white pepper grinder, and a smoked salt grinder in the kitchen. Got the grinder bodies from pennstateind.com and turned the wooden bodies. They are well used.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Well, I must be a pepper person then, have five grinders, crank, twist and electric battery operated plus a coffee grinder I use for dried Thai Bird Pepers, see, I am good and did not use the real Thai term. I do grow rat ship peppers and dry them in the sun, grind them in the coffee grinder, makes interesting cup of coffee....even ground they will liven up a dish. I carry a pill bottle of them ground, in my pocket. No such thing as too much pepper.
    I do oil and vinegar on a salad with ground sea salt and ground pepper.

Grew up in the Everglades, big pepper plants everywhere, acetic soil, so not very many folks that were raised there do not eat peppers in some fashion three meals a day. Peppers are a staple in areas with a hot climate.

Almost forgot, Lintel and Italian sausage stew. I use hot Italian sausage and add ground Thai pepper to it for me, rest of the folks get just stew. Fresh Italian bread. Anything with gravy or grits, gets a good dose.
    Last edited by Rapier; 10-30-2023 at 09:23 AM.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    My go to source for tellicherry peppercorns https://www.thespicehouse.com/produc...ry-peppercorns
    Just bought some, Thanks!!.....PS I use a coffee grinder just like my mother since the 50'sClick image for larger version. 

Name:	pepper111744.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	319443
    Last edited by Electrod47; 10-30-2023 at 02:20 PM.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Amen on using a coffee grinder for pepper corns, when I need more than just a few twists from a pepper mill.

Boolit Master

Black, white and green peppercorns all come from the same plant. The color results from the stage of ripeness and curing process. Like garlic, most peppercorn sold in the USA is imported from China.
    I draw the line at Chinese garlic. The attached link explains why.

https://www.agentnateur.com/blogs/ag...-garlic-is-bad

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Black, white and green peppercorns all come from the same plant. The color results from the stage of ripeness and curing process. Like garlic, most peppercorn sold in the USA is imported from China.

Good information, thanks!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post

Holy Cow!!!
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Tellicherry Pepper corns are from the Malabar Coast of India not Chinese. https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/prod...rry-peppercorn
    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 10-30-2023 at 05:53 PM.

Pepper on watermelon and cantaloupe with the salt the more the better.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

I have long had pepper corn grinders in the house one often has black pepper and the other the multi colors of pepper . Just recently a over stock store had decent looking grinders with a mix of pepper flakes (not to be confused with pepper corns) and Sea Salt I bought three . When the salt was used up in one I put in pepper corns and it does a good job making a course grind of them for great flavor.

Hint sometimes I put that coarse salt and pepper on Bacon before I fry it up it adds a lot of flavor .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Our local grocery store sells 'peppered bacon'.
    The pork belly is rolled/coated in a thick layer of coarse ground black pepper as part of the cure and before its sliced.
    If they ever run out--- it could cause a riot.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Alton Brown's Pepper Drill

Boolit Grand Master
    Never hardly used black pepper for decades. Till my kid tried her hand at cooking and brought something for me to try that had a bunch of pepper on it. I cringed at the pepper, but to not hurt her feelings, I took a bite. Thought , not bad. Now, I use black pepper for a bunch of stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    I worked in the spice industry for over 26 years and tested tons of black, red and green peppercorns. We would get the peppercorns in 200 lb. burlap bags (later woven polyester), fumigate (used methyl bromide at the time), pull samples and test, then grind, sift and package.

Until ethylene oxide and irradiation were widely available the plate counts on black pepper were allowed at somewhere around 1 million SPC (Standard Plate Count). There was an allowance for rodent droppings as well as dead insects and insect parts. Black pepper was one of the filthiest spices around. I still use it though...

That reminds me:

Years ago, there was a one page cartoon of a chef and executive way up on top of this big giant vat.
    You had to climb what looked like 100 stairs to get to the top. It must have held about 20,000 gallons.
    It had a sign on it that read 'Such & such Soup company'.
    The executive is tasting a spoon full from the vat.
    He is looking at the chef and say, "Not bad. But I think it needs a little more rodent feces".

EVERYONE!

Vendor Sponsor

I used a few different grinders, maybe a dozen or so over many years but what i have now is an Alessi Black Peppercorn grinder you get in the spice aisle at the store, one on the table, and another one on the food prep shelf. I have a different ceramic burr grinder that has the pink Chinese corns but I just don't stray too far from the Alessi grinders. It's pretty much an every meal thing here too.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.