RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hot weather hogs

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rickt300 View Post
    TPWD are the real Nazi's as far as weapons restrictions on public land.
    The problem comes when folks float rivers and take game off of private lands that they Do Not Own or have permission to hunt. When your shot crosses a property line, you are illegal in Texas. Its just how it is.

Some landowners actually like feral swine. I know as I work for a fella who owns a piece of land infested with them. I started trapping them. He asked me to stop for fear of trapping them all out. Cant make that kind of stupid up!

Quote Originally Posted by Elpatoloco View Post
    The problem comes when folks float rivers and take game off of private lands that they Do Not Own or have permission to hunt. When your shot crosses a property line, you are illegal in Texas. Its just how it is.

Some landowners actually like feral swine. I know as I work for a fella who owns a piece of land infested with them. I started trapping them. He asked me to stop for fear of trapping them all out. Cant make that kind of stupid up!
    So you think someone that would poach would care if the law abiding are stuck using shotguns. I can't understand that at all. Makes zero sense.

Boolit Buddy
    So you think someone that would poach would care if the law abiding are stuck using shotguns. I can't understand that at all. Makes zero sense.
    Where did I say that I supported anything? I stated why the law was enacted. Laws only stop honest folks from doing anything.

Boolit Master
    Good shooting Thomas. My only concern on this is that with "only" a 20 gauge, I'd want to use 00 buck in case there was an encounter with a really big pig. You did fine. Long time ago I was tracking a pig along a game trail in the Maycamas mountains. It had rained earlier that morning and with the ground moist the pigs had been rooting and were active. Judging from the tracks I figured that the pig I was trailing was probably between 100 to 120 pounds, and with steam still coming off the poop pile it left I wasn't far behind it. The trail led to a clearing inside a ring of oak trees, and the tracks got lost in a whole bunch of pig tracks going in multiple directions. As I stood in the middle of that clearing I looked down at a set of pig tracks at my feet; they were the size of a cow's prints, and as I watched they were slowly filling with water from the soaked ground. I pulled the 45 Colt new service from it's holster and looked at it, then looked at those fresh prints, and said to myself "This isn't enough". With hogzilla somewhere nearby I decided that if I didn't leave right then there was a 50/50 chance that nobody was ever going to find me. Moral of the story: bring enough gun.

My interpretation is to not shoot anything standing on the rivers edge. That’s private property.
    Down in the river bed I’ll shoot pigs and snakes with a shotgun only. That’s state property.
    If I see a game warden or landowner, I’ll stop and chat.
    I could use my 12 gauge 870, but it’s too nice for river riding….
    If I see Hogzilla, I’ll shoot him/ her twice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawful Activities

The case of
    Dincans v. Keeran, 192 S.W. 603 (Tex.Civ.App. San Antonio 1917, no writ)
    recognized a public right to use the waters and shore line. In overturning the lower court’s decree for being too restrictive, the court stated:

[T]he trial court’s decree was too comprehensive [in that it] restrained appellants from the enjoyment of their lawful right to use the shore line of the navigable waters, which formed the western boundary of appellees’ land. ... Hunting, camping, and fishing are reasonable uses of the navigable waters and shore line.

Diversion Lake Club v. Heath, 126 Tex. 129, 86 S.W.2d 441, 445 (1935)
    , stated:

Thus it is apparent that statutory navigable streams in Texas are public streams, and that their beds and waters are owned by the state in trust for the benefit and best interests of all the people, and subject to use by the public for navigation, fishing, and other lawful purposes, as fully and to the same extent that the beds and waters of streams navigable in fact are so owned and so held in trust and subject to such use.

Texas Attorney General’s Opinion S 208 (1956)
    concluded that the general public is authorized to walk down the dry or submerged bed of a navigable stream even if its bed is privately owned by virtue of the Small Bill (Article 5414a, R.C.S.) for the purpose of seining and fishing in water holes in the bed of the river. Such conduct was not a criminal trespass under the definition of the crime then in effect.

Boolit Buddy
    Lawful Activities

The case of
    Dincans v. Keeran, 192 S.W. 603 (Tex.Civ.App. San Antonio 1917, no writ)
    recognized a public right to use the waters and shore line. In overturning the lower court’s decree for being too restrictive, the court stated:

[T]he trial court’s decree was too comprehensive [in that it] restrained appellants from the enjoyment of their lawful right to use the shore line of the navigable waters, which formed the western boundary of appellees’ land. ... Hunting, camping, and fishing are reasonable uses of the navigable waters and shore line.

Diversion Lake Club v. Heath, 126 Tex. 129, 86 S.W.2d 441, 445 (1935)
    , stated:

Thus it is apparent that statutory navigable streams in Texas are public streams, and that their beds and waters are owned by the state in trust for the benefit and best interests of all the people, and subject to use by the public for navigation, fishing, and other lawful purposes, as fully and to the same extent that the beds and waters of streams navigable in fact are so owned and so held in trust and subject to such use.

Texas Attorney General’s Opinion S 208 (1956)
    concluded that the general public is authorized to walk down the dry or submerged bed of a navigable stream even if its bed is privately owned by virtue of the Small Bill (Article 5414a, R.C.S.) for the purpose of seining and fishing in water holes in the bed of the river. Such conduct was not a criminal trespass under the definition of the crime then in effect.
    Yeah, you can go with that, but you darn well better be Checking each stream that you plan on doing that in as it isnt as cut and dried here in Texas.
    I run a Go Devil mud boat in places most would only dream of getting into. Some of those Navagatable Streams are in Fact private.

Just for Example. The Streams that make Lake Edelman and Graham, both in Young County Texas have stretches that are actual private property. Those stream beds are owned privately as granted back to the Spanish Land grants. Feel free to Call TPWD and speak to the Warden in that county. He will explain it in Detail as I am sure you will not believe me.

Also, define "navagatable". You won't get a Jon boat with a 10hp in some places that I can blast through in my rig. The laws are a mess. Does it mean navagatable with a Titanic class ship or an airboat? I have found it best to Call the warden in any given county before I carry any weapon to do my duck hunting up any stream.

Like I said earlier, that original law in question is written as to be an add on charge for those outlaws who shoot (poach) deer/hogs on private lands from public waters. Take it however you want. Some of us know better.
    Last edited by Elpatoloco; 10-14-2023 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elpatoloco View Post
    Yeah, you can go with that, but you darn well better be Checking each stream that you plan on doing that in as it isnt as cut and dried here in Texas.
    I run a Go Devil mud boat in places most would only dream of getting into. Some of those Navagatable Streams are in Fact private.

Just for Example. The Streams that make Lake Edelman and Graham, both in Young County Texas have stretches that are actual private property. Those stream beds are owned privately as granted back to the Spanish Land grants. Feel free to Call TPWD and speak to the Warden in that county. He will explain it in Detail as I am sure you will not believe me.

Also, define "navagatable". You won't get a Jon boat with a 10hp in some places that I can blast through in my rig. The laws are a mess. Does it mean navagatable with a Titanic class ship or an airboat? I have found it best to Call the warden in any given county before I carry any weapon to do my duck hunting up any stream.

Like I said earlier, that original law in question is written as to be an add on charge for those outlaws who shoot (poach) deer/hogs on private lands from public waters. Take it however you want. Some of us know better.
    I certainly wasn't talking about calling that kind of water "navigable". I figure if I have to drag my boat I am navigating by foot.
    Last edited by rickt300; 11-17-2023 at 09:24 PM.