Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: First bullets reloaded and shot

First bullets reloaded and shot

On my first try casting bullets for my new revolver, being eager to get started i mixed up a couple of pounds of fishing weights, a pewter knick-knack, and about 10 pounds of magnum birdshot. The mold size was 513-450 from Accurate molds, my bullets weighed anywhere between 440 to 445 grains. I used non scientific methods of testing the bullets by smashing one in my vise and smashing another with a sledge hammer. The lead held together and did not seem brittle until i had it pretty flat. compared to a fishing weight, the bullets seemed harder.

I loaded some up with a starting load of 2400 and just going by the recipe figure they would go a little less than 1000fps. I went out into a burned area of the pasture and tested the bullets on dead cedars, they would go clean through a six inch trunk but stopped in the 8 inch trunks, but what amazed me was the bullets, after going through 6 inches of wood, were almost reloadable. The bullets swagged down some, about 20 thousands and lost a few grains. I was really pleased in how they held together. I can't replicated my mixture of alloy, maybe I'll take notes next time.
    Last edited by birdshot; 09-06-2023 at 05:03 PM.

I have had disasters happen using fishing weights. You cannot assume they are lead. But yes in general if it melts and you clean what floats to the top off it will cast. Oddly wood doesn't seem to deform bullets much.

Boolit Grand Master

I usually have a bunch of scrap lead alloys saved in a couple of buckets until I've amassed 500+ pounds and smelt it all into one big batch of ingots. I test the hardness with my Cabinetree tester and based on this will cast a BUNCH of bullets for cartridges that fall into the pressure ranges based on the hardness.

Will I be able to replicate this? NO, and I don't even try to. They work great for target work and general hunting bullets.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

... bullets for cartridges that fall into the pressure ranges based on the hardness." ?
    Stubshaft, I didnt realize hardness and pressure ranges was a thing. Is this another way way of expressing bullet hardness and speed?

Quote Originally Posted by birdshot View Post
    ... bullets for cartridges that fall into the pressure ranges based on the hardness." ?
    Stubshaft, I didnt realize hardness and pressure ranges was a thing. Is this another way way of expressing bullet hardness and speed?
    Pressures & velocity dont always mean the same thing. I can produce that 1000fps with little pressure or go over pressure, just depends on the powder choice. While I dont get too worked up over allot composition with most handguns, when you start pushing higher pressures you want harder alloy.
    Congrats on your first bullets downrange. Sounds like a 500mag? Big bores are where bullet casting pays for itself quickly. None of my magnum revos ever see jacketed.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Congrats Birdshot! If you start to see leading in your revolver barrel, it may be because the alloy was a bit too hard. That is kind of conventional wisdom around this forum.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations! If you don't or can't spring for a hardness tester get yourself a set of artists pencils.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I sure enjoy hearing success stories. I got to believe one reason why I'm still casting my own bullets if because of the first time me and my cousin tried it when I was about 11 they turned out perfect.

Congratulations on that first round down range. You have made the first step in never being out of boolits and not depending on manufacturers for ammo....once you lay up a primer supply! Lot's of knowledge here with good people willing to share it. Welcome
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    The issue with mystery alloy is can you replicate results? For blasting ammunition, it may do the job.
    Don Verna