RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Heckler & Koch 45C

Boolit Master

Heckler & Koch 45C

I looked at a Heckler & Koch 45 Compact tonight (private sale). 5 mags. Used, but well cared for.
    Opinions on the H&K 45?
    Last edited by Battis; 08-25-2023 at 10:17 PM.

ugly as sin and boringly reliable, even with my Lee 230grs.round noses_
    I gave away my full size HK45 because I wanted to return repeated favors from a friend and overall I'm not a plastic or half-plastic guy, but these things works flawlessly, if you don't notice the sturdy slide cocking spring: this, coupled with shallow slide side grasping grooves, could be difficult if impaired for some reason, or with weak hands_
    a real workhorse, in my experience. quite accurate, too_
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 08-25-2023 at 11:24 PM.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Buddy
    I bought an H&K 45 earlier this year; the one I bought has the LEM trigger. So far I like it. With the larger size grip adapter it fits my hand very well. The 45 has a different grip from the 45C, so that may not matter to you. The way I'd describe the LEM trigger is SA/DA, although that's not what they advertise it to be. Normally, the slide will partially cock the two piece hammer and the trigger completes the process. If for some reason the round doesn't fire, the slide hasn't moved so you are in full double action. My complaint with that is the trigger is very gritty. I've been giving it the poor man's trigger job (lots of dry fire in double action) and the trigger is smoothing up. With the hammer cocked as normal, the trigger is very smooth. I haven't looked into it, but they are supposed to be able to switch versions easily (LEM to traditional, with or without thumb safety, there are several variations).

I've only put a couple of hundred rounds through it but no problems so far.

They do have a patented recoil buffer, which they claim reduces felt recoil. I haven't had a problem with recoil but I'm not sure if the guns helps or not. It is rated for +P.

I haven't had any issues racking the slide on this. I've started to have trouble racking the slide of my CZ 75 PCR (which I didn't have when I originally bought it).

The 45 has a 10 round mag whereas normally the 45C has an 8 round mag. You can get extended 10 round mags for the 45C. The mags are not cheap; depending on where you buy they run $45-$50 per. There are no after market mags, you have to buy HK. Having 5 mags is, in my mind, a plus. Mine originally came with 2 mags. The 45 has a 4.4 inch barrel where I think the 45C is a 4 inch barrel. Personally, I don't think the size difference between the two is enough to be concerned with.

I'm guessing, that if you buy it, you'll be happy with it.

Boolit Master
    The H&K 45C is actually MA compliant due to the trigger, safety and who knows what else. I like its heft, but it's still not too heavy to carry. Years ago, I carried a Sig Sauer 226 that was DA/SA which I actually liked.
    Working the slide wasn't too bad. I have an Astra 400 - cocking it is a two man job; one to hold the frame and one to back the truck up.
    I have until Monday to decide. It's part of an estate sell-off. Over 100 high end firearms, including an original Schofield 45, dozens of 1911s, all types and sizes of .357s, a Garand.

Boolit Master
    How durable are the barrel O rings/gaskets on the H&K?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    How durable are the barrel O rings/gaskets on the H&K?
    The O rings have a service life of 20K rounds per ring and you can buy them in multi- packs. The guns themselves are one of the most reliable semi autos built and extremely accurate.

Boolit Master
    I believe the H&K 45 is strong enough for the .45 Super conversion.
    https://www.hkpro.com/threads/45-sup...a-hk45.480600/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    I believe the H&K 45 is strong enough for the .45 Super conversion.
    https://www.hkpro.com/threads/45-sup...a-hk45.480600/
    After buying mine, I kept reading across the internet (and everybody knows if its on the internet, then it must be true) that HKs could shoot the 45 Super. Not wanting to blow up a brand new gun, I decided to write H&K and ask; this was their reply:

Amir Ghiai (Heckler & Koch)

May 15, 2023, 09:08 ADT
    Good morning

Our .45 ACP pistols were designed around the .45 ACP cartridge, both standard pressure ACP +P. We have never tested our pistols with .45 Super, nor were they designed around the cartridge. As such, we cannot endorse the usage of .45 Super ammunition in our pistols.

Customer Service Team
    706-701-5554
    M-F 8:30am EST to 4:30pm EST

Heckler & Koch
    5675 Transport Blvd
    Columbus, GA 31907

Boolit Master
    Thanks billmc2. At least we see they are good for +P pressure.

Boolit Man
    Don’t pay more than $450 for a used HK45c. But they are great pistols.

Boolit Master
    I picked it up today. It came with the original case, 5 mags, extra backstrap, bag of barrel O rings, holster and ammo on the way. I field stripped it at home, and I cannot find any trace of it having been fired. It's possibly unfired, according to a family member. The family has 131 firearms to sell off and the previous owner didn't shoot much.
    Great handgun. Well made.
    And yep, I paid more than $450.00. I'm a frugal pr...buyer, and I'm very happy with this purchase.