MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Cast loads for 416 Rigby

Cast loads for 416 Rigby

With factory 'J' boolits retailing at just over $2.00 each, it is time to look at cast boolit options. As a start, I have a 395gn Snover boolit for my 40/65 (0.409) and have paper patched 10 of these to 0.418" and seated these over 75gn of IMR4350 as a starting load for estimated 1700fps.

Would like to get a plain based cast boolit that would be powder coated to the same speed.

Interested to hear any other loads from learned gentlemen!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

I don't have a Rigby, but I do shoot cast PC in my 416 Ruger.

I have a custom mould that drops 420 grains, I powder coat then size to .417 . Velocity is 2000fps. BHN is 16. I've tested offhand to 30 meters on clay pigeons.

The only constraint to PC is that the bore must be in good condition. A pitted bore will strip the PC off the bullet, causing leading. Paper patch gets around that particular problem.

Boolit Man
    Greetings Bad Ass,

I think I can provide you with some information to help. Coincidently I just finished a project where my goal was to find a reduced load (velocity and therefore recoil)) to use as practice for my Ruger model 77 416 Rigby. I have used this gun to take buffalo and elephant and I love the cartridge but as you state the cost of jacketed bullets and the copious amounts of powder used make it expensive. The recoil can accumulate as you know with more shooting. I want to use it to hunt Pennsylvania deer this year and a cast bullet would work perfectly.

I have an RCBS mold that drops a 350-grain FN bullet but I have yet to use it to cast in any quantity. Western Bullets sell this bullet from the same RCBS mold lubricated and gas checked (http://www.westernbullet.com/rc41gr.html) so I bought 50 to test with various powders until I can get my lead stock blended to cast.

I too wanted to powder coat this bullet for all the reasons PC offers, less cleaning, less smoke, etc. so I stripped the traditional lube off the Western bullet leaving the gas check on and PC coated them with Smokes Flame Red. I sized them to 0.418”. I think Western will sell unlubricated, unsized bullets also

I will spare the details of the powders that did not work so well for me (Trail Boss, Accurate 5744) but IMR 4198 did okay. It was not until I played with IMR 4895 which the Lyman Cast manual shows and recommends that I got good results. My first batch ran from 73.0 to 76.0 grains by 1.0 increments and 75.0 grains was the most accurate showing an average of 2266 fps and a 4-shot group at 50 yards of 0.584”. I felt that the recoil was still too stiff at 39-foot pounds even in my 10-pound rifle/scope.

I next reduced the charge range from 60.0 to 63.0 grains by 1.0 grain increments. 61.0 grains showed a velocity of 1854 fps and the same 0.5” 4 shot group at 50 yards. This is 412 fps less than the previous load and the recoil is reduced from 39 ftlbs to 26 ftlbs which is a 39% reduction. The gun is now fun to shoot and has more than enough energy for a 100-125 yard shot on deer. I plan to test the accuracy at 100 and 150 yards this week.

In all cases the bullet was crimped firmly with the Lee Factory Crimp die in the topmost crimp groove. Even after shooting 30 rounds or so the bore was pristine and two passes with Patch Out showed only a slightly gray material on the patch. I want to test the bullet with and without the gas check when I can get some cast.

I hope this helps guide you but I would start with IMR 4895 if you can get it in Australia. The Rigby is a grand old cartridge and the guns deserve to be shot more than just at dangerous game. PM me if you have questions.

Thanks, Good luck,

Paul

Banner Sponsor

I shoot 500gn cast in my 470NE double with a full charge of RL15 for 2150fps. Also 5gn of Dacron over the powder and a Fed215 primer. Mountain Molds cut my mold, it's gas checked and has a .400" nose length , and meplats of 70% and 90% . I use 2500+ and Carnauba Blue and size to .477" .
    I don't know if any of this is helpful or not.

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I shoot 500gn cast in my 470NE double with a full charge of RL15 for 2150fps. Also 5gn of Dacron over the powder and a Fed215 primer. Mountain Molds cut my mold, it's gas checked and has a .400" nose length , and meplats of 70% and 90% . I use 2500+ and Carnauba Blue and size to .477" .
    I don't know if any of this is helpful or not.
    If yours is a vintage double, it should have a cordite load on the water table, there is a formula to use RL15 times the cordite load that will usually get you a factory equivalent load that will regulate in a double rifle.

I have loaded for 416 Rigby in the past I'll have to dig out my load notes on the 416,

I did have a custom Accurate mold made based on a solid, I did this to improve feeding from the magazine.

Thanks Reedap1, that data is very helpful. My 75gn load should be a good starting load.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    If yours is a vintage double, it should have a cordite load on the water table, there is a formula to use RL15 times the cordite load that will usually get you a factory equivalent load that will regulate in a double rifle.
    I was not aware of this. Thanks for the info. Learned something new today.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I made the mistake of buying NOE's combo mold that included PB and GC versions of the same BRP 350 grain bullet. I needn't have bothered - the PB did not deliver.

The load I ended up with for my CZ 550 had the distinction of being the only rifle I have started with the minimum listed charge (5744) and worked carefully BACKWARDS to a comfortable level of about 1890 fps.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.