Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get my father a .45-70 Lever Gun for Deer hunting

Boolit Mold

Looking to get my father a .45-70 Lever Gun for Deer hunting

Hey all, as the thread title suggests I am in the market for a .45-70 rifle for my father. For about three years now he has been talking about puttin his old .44 Magnum Marlin Guide Gun back on the rack and get a .45-70. He toyed with a single shot but decided he wanted another lever gun. A local gun shop whose owner I am good friends with is an Authorized Henry Dealer and said he could get great deals on Henry Repeaters below the M.S.P on the Henry website. That all being said I was looking at the Henry Color Case Hardened Side Gate in .45-70. I think the only $100 more than the blackened steel finish is worth it... lol. I have never owned a Henry let alone any lever rifle besides lever operated single shot falling blocks... are they good rifles ? I know Marlin still makes the guide gun in .45-70, does the Henry stack up well against other .45-70 rifles ? I know the Henry has the 22" barrel which I have read gives those 325gr Hornady rounds some great flight. I also see the Henry only has a capacity of 4 rounds where Marlin is 6+1 (my father really only needs one round anyway. Anyone who wants to put their two cents in by all means do. Those with personal experience or those that own the Henry .45-70 please comment your experience with it. Thanks to all who reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer_Murphy View Post
    Hey all, as the thread title suggests I am in the market for a .45-70 rifle for my father. For about three years now he has been talking about puttin his old .44 Magnum Marlin Guide Gun back on the rack and get a .45-70. He toyed with a single shot but decided he wanted another lever gun. A local gun shop whose owner I am good friends with is an Authorized Henry Dealer and said he could get great deals on Henry Repeaters below the M.S.P on the Henry website. That all being said I was looking at the Henry Color Case Hardened Side Gate in .45-70. I think the only $100 more than the blackened steel finish is worth it... lol. I have never owned a Henry let alone any lever rifle besides lever operated single shot falling blocks... are they good rifles ? I know Marlin still makes the guide gun in .45-70, does the Henry stack up well against other .45-70 rifles ? I know the Henry has the 22" barrel which I have read gives those 325gr Hornady rounds some great flight. I also see the Henry only has a capacity of 4 rounds where Marlin is 6+1 (my father really only needs one round anyway. Anyone who wants to put their two cents in by all means do. Those with personal experience or those that own the Henry .45-70 please comment your experience with it. Thanks to all who reply.
    Never had a Henry but I understand they are great rifles. Not sure if you're talking about the Marlin guide gun's capacity, but it's only 4+1. I absolutely love my guide gun and will never part with it. Up to 150 yards, I'd feel confident taking anything anywhere on the continent. Got it for $600 back in 2015 and feel pretty lucky.
    -Paul

P-Trap of the Big Muddy, on the unoccupied side.
    The Henry has a lifetime warrantee for the original buyer.
    I have the model H010X, I would have preferred walnut stocks to the polymer ones, but the threaded muzzle was more important to me.
    I really like it and the polymer stock is growing on me.

Stick with the Marlin/Rugers for a better fit and finish. I don’t like anything offered by Henry, heavy and clunky.

Spencer, every report that I have read says the same thing about the new Ruger made Marlin 45/70's and that is that they have great fit and finish. Operation is smooth as the old Marlins and they are accurate. For the money and value, I have to vote for the Ruglin. I have never owned a Henry and their reputation is good but in a subtle way, just ask dad which he would buy.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The Henry has a lifetime warrantee for the original buyer.
    I have the model H010X, I would have preferred walnut stocks to the polymer ones, but the threaded muzzle was more important to me.
    I really like it and the polymer stock is growing on me.
    My father is a definite hardliner on wood in guns. He hates Polymer stock furniture. Thats why I liked that Henry with the Case Coloring as it has Walnut furniture I will look and see if Marlin has the same walnut or other wood offered.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Stick with the Marlin/Rugers for a better fit and finish. I don’t like anything offered by Henry, heavy and clunky.
    I did see on the website for Henry that the rifle weighed in at 8.1lbs loaded fully.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Never had a Henry but I understand they are great rifles. Not sure if you're talking about the Marlin guide gun's capacity, but it's only 4+1. I absolutely love my guide gun and will never part with it. Up to 150 yards, I'd feel confident taking anything anywhere on the continent. Got it for $600 back in 2015 and feel pretty lucky.
    https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/model_1895guide/

That Marlin is the one I was talking about with the 6+1 capacity. My one uncle has a guide gun he bought in 1992 same as my father's rifle just his is .45 Gov and my father's is .44 mag.

Boolit Master
    I have a marlin 45/70 guide gun and love it, wood stock and stainless steel. I load heavy for bears, accurate out to 100 and beyond.
    If I were looking, this is what I would get again ! I had a henry, good gun, went with marlin, more rounds on board.
    Ask your dad what he wants ????

I can tell you from experience with the new Ruger/Marlin 1895 GBL "Guide Gun". I bought one for my father for his birthday last November. He had an old .30-30 336 Marlin but he wanted a straight wall to hunt local and retire the 12 ga. I bought him one out the door at a discount for $950.00 before taxes and fees. Usually they are $1200~$1300 and I was very dissapointed in it. The stock furniture although wood is very cheaply made and the laminate was peeling off the wood after one rain. The 1895 only has a 19.5" barrel and weighs only 1.6lbs less than the henry while carryin 3 more rounds. But you have to figure that Henry has 2 1/2" more barrel. I turned the rifle back into Marlin to have a couple things repaired under warranty and that was Febuary and I havent gotten it back yet. Im probably gonna buy my father a Henry so he can hunt this year since I cant get a straight answer over the phone from the customer support and emails take about a week to get a reply if you're lucky.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by EastoftheBay View Post
    I can tell you from experience with the new Ruger/Marlin 1895 GBL "Guide Gun". I bought one for my father for his birthday last November. He had an old .30-30 336 Marlin but he wanted a straight wall to hunt local and retire the 12 ga. I bought him one out the door at a discount for $950.00 before taxes and fees. Usually they are $1200~$1300 and I was very dissapointed in it. The stock furniture although wood is very cheaply made and the laminate was peeling off the wood after one rain. The 1895 only has a 19.5" barrel and weighs only 1.6lbs less than the henry while carryin 3 more rounds. But you have to figure that Henry has 2 1/2" more barrel. I turned the rifle back into Marlin to have a couple things repaired under warranty and that was Febuary and I havent gotten it back yet. Im probably gonna buy my father a Henry so he can hunt this year since I cant get a straight answer over the phone from the customer support and emails take about a week to get a reply if you're lucky.
    Huh, I figured all that customer support stuff wouldve been squared away. My one uncle who has passed away bought a Marlin rifle when Marlin sold to Remington about 12 years ago I guess. The rifle was setting off rounds as soon as the bolt closed up and he sent it back to get fixed and that rifle was gone for 2 whole years. I figured Ruger wouldve fixed that when they bought out Marlin in a few years ago. I like that Henry has a lifetime warranty. I know Winchester is still around and they have those Italian Stallion .45 lever guns but Id rather buy from an American company (nothing built here these days though)

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/model_1895guide/

That Marlin is the one I was talking about with the 6+1 capacity. My one uncle has a guide gun he bought in 1992 same as my father's rifle just his is .45 Gov and my father's is .44 mag.
    Gotcha, thanks, I'd forgotten about the 1895 GBL model. Nice.
    -Paul

I have a Pedersoli 1886 in 45 70 with a 22" barrel. Shoots better than I can hold it. It's another good option. Nice wood, good fit and finish, operates smoothly. I bought it used for $1100.

I own two Henry lever actions,one in 327/32H&R and the other is a 30/30. Both have nice walnut furniture,a slick action and shoot great. I'd buy another Henry.
    ​Je suis Charlie

[QUOTE]I did see on the website for Henry that the rifle weighed in at 8.1lbs loaded fully[QUOTE]

Less than 8lbs with 4 rounds loaded will beat the crap out anyone shooting a 45-70 . Good luck with that.

As a father myself, were my boys to buy me a Winchester or Browning reproduction 1886 lever in 4570 I would turn cartwheels, if I could still do it. So much more rifle than a Henry but Henry does make a great 22Lr..New or used the Browning and Win are just great rifles and well made throughout.

Boolit Master

Have banged over 30 Bambi's with a Marlin 1895 336 Model. Use Elmer Keiths favorite load: 53 grs of 3031 pushin a 400 gr Speer flat point. Factory ammo is loaded so it can be shot in the Trapdoor Springfield. Roll your own or get a handloader to load em for you. The farthest I have ever shot a deer was 175 yds. They hardly ever get up after knocking em down. Spend your money wisely. The original 1886 Winchester is still right up there too. The Henry's are clunky looking. There are some good deals out there. Look on Guns International!

[QUOTE=Randy Bohannon;5590271][QUOTE]I did see on the website for Henry that the rifle weighed in at 8.1lbs loaded fully

Less than 8lbs with 4 rounds loaded will beat the crap out anyone shooting a 45-70 . Good luck with that.
    I'll second that Randy. My 1895 with the 405 gr boolits would get up in your face. The Handi Rifle I had would REALLY get in your mug, it was too light by a long shot, but I was loading it to around 1500 fps.
    Spencer, are you and your dad hunting in Maryland? I read the regs and as I understand them, the rifle only needs to be straight walled. I don't know recoil sensitive your father is but a new 360 Buck Hammer in the Henry might just be an idea. It has a .358 barrel as opposed to the silly .355 barrel on the 350 Legend. A bit larger bore would be the 38-55. I can only speak for myself but I shoot less brutal cartridges a lot better than bazooka loads! If CVA made their stainless Scout single shot in the 360, I would have one in my safe now.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I bought a Marlin 1895 in 1977, pre-safety and with the Ballard type rifling. It’s killed quite a few deer and many more feral hogs. They stop when shot, as if they hit the end of a rope. Accuracy is similar between cast and j-words, and I can mix up loads without experiencing grouping issues. I’m not selling this one, but if it happened to fall out of a boat, I’d go find another early gun, without the “lawyer safety”.

I’ve handled the Henry, and it was too bulky for my tastes, but different strokes for different folks.

Boolit Mold
    [QUOTE=murf205;5590310][QUOTE=Randy Bohannon;5590271]
    I did see on the website for Henry that the rifle weighed in at 8.1lbs loaded fully

I'll second that Randy. My 1895 with the 405 gr boolits would get up in your face. The Handi Rifle I had would REALLY get in your mug, it was too light by a long shot, but I was loading it to around 1500 fps.
    Spencer, are you and your dad hunting in Maryland? I read the regs and as I understand them, the rifle only needs to be straight walled. I don't know recoil sensitive your father is but a new 360 Buck Hammer in the Henry might just be an idea. It has a .358 barrel as opposed to the silly .355 barrel on the 350 Legend. A bit larger bore would be the 38-55. I can only speak for myself but I shoot less brutal cartridges a lot better than bazooka loads! If CVA made their stainless Scout single shot in the 360, I would have one in my safe now.
    Yea me and my father live in Maryland. My great grandfather had an old Winchester in .38-55. My father is dead set on .45 Gov though. Recoil isnt a problem for him he is 51 but he is 6'3" and 245lbs .45-70 is only a speed bump for him plus he wears a lot of clothes in winter when he will use this rifle as he gets cold fast due to old age.... lol. I myself would love to get a Savage 99 in .38-55 though. Really looking into a Henry for my father though and he wasnt a fan of my uncles H&R Shikari or Buffalo Classic.