Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USPS-First flat rate box damged in shipment

I received a book, that was wet, found out that a box with cream rinse drained all over the mail while in route. Post Office held the mail for the weekend until it all dried. Book smell good but wrinkled pages. We have learned that there is never any postage reimbursement.

My situation wasn’t to much different than yours. I too learned the fine print. I submitted copies that shows the cost of replacement brass. Shipping, tax, and the brass was included in the cost of the part. The PO wouldn’t reimburse the shipping or the postage I paid so I was out $$ too.

You can appeal the decision,I did but it didn’t help.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    ….. I have several Regional Rate boxes that I can no longer use so I've started putting brass in one of them, padded like it was the outer box, writing the address on the RR box, and putting that inside a padded MFRB.
    Double boxing and lots of reinforced tape has always worked for me, but one time the two LFRBs of brass I sent to Texas were deemed undeliverable (unless the customer paid what amounted to additional ground rate postage, $90.00) because although they weren’t broken open the boxes looked like pillows. The Postmaster in Texas said the boxes didn’t qualify for flat rate because they didn’t look like boxes. I explained that they looked like boxes when I shipped them and USPS was responsible for the way they looked when they arrived. Our local postmaster made Texas return them to me at no charge.
    But, when double boxing keep in mind you can be fined / double charged for using more than one NEW USPS box per package. They furnish the boxes for the sole purpose of shipping your item, not as added protection for the item.

Boolit Grand Master

Oy.. I always use packing tape on all corners and folds then tape around the top a few times, end for end a few and around the sides a couple but nothing will fix an open box. Got a few in the mail that the brass was either put in a one of the USPS envelopes first or double boxed. I think that is the way to go.

Thanks for the info on the shipping, though. I always thought they would reimburse it since they damaged it.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Learned something new today ! Sorry for all that have had damaged goods and lost boxs.
    A small f/r box of lead sent to me got lost in shipping. My letter carrier was nice enough to find out where it got lost for me. After a couple days, he told me that the box fell between a transfer conveyer at my local po and only because he was able to track each scan, he knew where it went missing.
    He said if it was lighter it would not have tipped and fell, then asked what was in the box lead ? I said exactly and told him I cast boolits. We became friends because he is a reloader and shooter and enjoys the sport.

Mike

Boolit Master

As some have mentioned. Bagging your product protects..or helps prevent damage from water. Layers help..tape and more tape helps.. I like the cord reinforced tapes.. Lastly..packing and other things like cardboard reinforcement helps. Make it where the contents can't move.. Reinforce corners..if anything is sharp.. Sleeve it. Easily bent things I will slip inside a pipe.. Or tape to a piece of wood.. I'd rather pay 5$ more in tape and shipping and either get my item perfectly..or have your item arrive perfectly.

Lastly.. Take bolts out of guns..wrap and tape to gun.. Extra padding on the muzzle and but. I havlte receiving a rifle with a bolt handle, muzzle or but poking out of a box...

Boolit Master
    When shipping guns I ship a plank of wood on the inside of one of the boxes. A thin piece from a pallet just to keep it getting a broken stock .
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    When shipping guns I ship a plank of wood on the inside of one of the boxes. A thin piece from a pallet just to keep it getting a broken stock .
    I’ve done the same using a leftover pieces of laminate flooring. It has a rubber-like backing that won’t mar the finish if the material you wrap it with tears.

Boolit Master
    I was buying linotype pigs from a seller in Alaska, some made it but quite a few did not and it wasn't just me not getting them The seller reimbursed all who did not get them and he did some investigation and found that the boxes were never making it onto the plane in Alaska. After reporting this to the postal authorities they apparently found out that there was someone working there that figured out what was in the boxes and was stealing them right off the platform. I guess he decided it wasn't worth it any longer since I lost track of him and he stopped corresponding. I hope they charged the pricks with theft of mail which is a federal offense and a long time in federal prison.

Oh, my big leaf maple stock blank purchase arrived broken compleatly in half, 3" thick, six inches wide and 48" long. That was interesting. Have no idea how anyone in normal operations could break that piece of hard rock maple. Could not beak that if you used it to run over a pot hole with a loaded duce and a half.
    But did get a plastic bag with wet mail in it stamped, aircraft crash, from the Pensacola Bay Delta plane crash. They had boxed up the plastic bag and sent that muddy wet mail to my office. They do make an attempt to do things right.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Not too long I placed an order with Inline Fabrication. I got my order with the box totally "messed up" but all contents inside unhurt not even a scratch. Good folks to deal with!
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.