Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scale suggestions needed

Boolit Master

Weigh powder for EVERY pistol round? That's tedious! Might just as well "scoop" using a Lee Loader.

The powder measure is supposed to provide that consistency. Check one charge on a beam or electronic scale for every 10 to 20 rounds made. For most powders, you can't hand-hold a "belly gun" so steady as to tell a 0.50 grain difference on 15-yard (across a room) target. Shoot more. Work less.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    Weigh powder for EVERY pistol round? That's tedious! Might just as well "scoop" using a Lee Loader.

The powder measure is supposed to provide that consistency. Check one charge on a beam or electronic scale for every 10 to 20 rounds made. For most powders, you can't hand-hold a "belly gun" so steady as to tell a 0.50 grain difference on 15-yard (across a room) target. Shoot more. Work less.
    Just depends on what sort of pistol shooting you are doing and how seriously you take it.

Boolit Mold
    redriverhunter,
    don't think you can buy a NEW PACT scale....they been out of bidness for over a year....

REDD

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post

I didn't plan to weigh every load, nor have I for the past 40 years. I do like to check the load from time to time, and I'm not good at guessing what my powder measure is throwing as I'm setting it up, thus the need for another scale. I have a set of Lee scoops..........like everything else, at my other house.

Boolit Buddy
    I really like my A&D fx120i. It was pretty expensive but I got it before the creedmoore sports scale came out. I also have an rcbs 10-10. I mostly use a Frankford arsenal pocket scale because normally I just load a handful at a time and I have to get everything out and set it up because the family uses the loading bench for other things and projects.

Boolit Master
    find an old Lyman m5 or rcbs with the metal base and never look back. ive yet to see a digital for short money that isn't 2/10 grain accurate.but things may be different these days bottom line you dont need batteries for a beam scale. ive tried a couple digital scales in the past that ive used to weigh projectiles but would not trust them for smaller pistol loads. I'm not one for automated gizmos and never got into the automatic electronic powder dispensers with built in scale but they I guess they have to be accurate to be lawyer proof. also got a couple newer Lyman scales when they were clearing out old items a dozen or so years ago. they had a plastic base and were far inferior to the ones made by ohaus with metal base.

Boolit Master

In 2019 and 2021 I made side-by-side comparisons between an RCBS 5-0-5, RCBS 10-10, and PACT Digital scales. I will spare you the boring details. The findings include:

i.) There were 33 measurements of increasing weight [in grams converted to grains] for each scale.

iii.) The 5-0-5 scale was off -0.21 grains (the worst 1 of 33 measurements).

v.) The 10-10 scale was off +0.35 grains (the worst 1 of 33 measurements).

vii.) The PACT scale was off +0.39 grains (the worst 1 of 33 measurements).

i.) There were 33 measurements of increasing weight [in grams converted to grains] for each scale.

iii.) The 5-0-5 scale was high (+)0.268 grains (the worst 1 of 33 measurements).

v.) The 10-10 scale was high (+)0.544 grains (the worst 1 of 33 measurements).

vii.) The PACT scale was low (-)0.259 grains (the worst 1 of 33 measurements).

CONCLUSIONS
    A.) Mark Twain wrote, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
    B.) The "the worst 1 of 33" in 2019 for each scale was not the same measurement in 2021
    C.) 1.0 gram equals 15.43236 grains
    D.) Not one of the scales is capable of measuring to 5 significant digits to the right of the decimal point
    D.) Any "error" is attributable to weighing GRAM check weights to one decimal place and comparing that "rounded" measurement in GRAINS to its "true weight" in GRAINS
    E.) Each scale IS VERY ACCURATE and RELIABLE for reloading purpose.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 04-10-2023 at 05:03 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

When you get into the better Electonic scales you get repeatability around total 0.01 - 0.02 grain variation.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-23-2023 at 03:02 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I have a RCBS 10-10 tuned by Scott Parker great scale that is dead ball accurate

Boolit Bub
    My preference is the Ohaus Dial O Grain, but that may not meet your portability requirement.

Dillon's Eliminator beam scale is a solid choice for a second scale - accurate, easy to move, and easy to use.