MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: 444 Marlin and IMR 3031

Boolit Man

Question 444 Marlin and IMR 3031

I am hoping someone can give me a min (maybe max load) for a RD 265 (even RD 300) load in the 444 marlin. I can't find any data for bullet heavier than a 240grain?

Thanks
    7.62man

Boolit Buddy
    My load is usually 42.5 grains of IMR 4198. This load is safe in my rifle. Work up slowly and with care for your rifle checking carefully for pressure signs. This works for me. I also use the same charge with the LEE C430-310F bullet. Again, I don't recommend my loads for anyone else. They have not damaged MY rifle. Never tried IMR 3031. I usually start with by backing off a few grains from starting loads with jacked bullets. Not sure what proper procedure may be. Like I said, I've not damaged or blown up MY rifle. Use caution.
    Just had another thought. Try checking with Beartooth bullets. They ususally have some VERY good information on the .444.
    Tom

Boolit Mold
    Here is the info for the Hornady 265 gr jacketed bullet. I should be close to the Ranch dog bullet. I use the H4198 and H335 with the RD 265 bullet.

Wt. Bullet Powder Manufacturer Powder Charge Velocity (FPS)
    265 Hornady SP IMR IMR-3031 50.0 2,050 MAX

265 Hornady SP IMR IMR-3031 45.0 1,800 MIN

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Handloader Issue # 30 has 44.0gr of IMR 3031 pushing a 310gr swaged H/J bullet. It shows 1802fps as the velocity. This is from a 26" barrel. It developed 30,200psi of pressure. I think I would load both bullets with this charge and work my way up. Jim

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it