Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox

Thread: Powder question for a 10mm revolver

Boolit Buddy

Powder question for a 10mm revolver

I posted a couple of days ago I had picked up a 6.5 in 610-3 in 10mm. My powder and bullets arrived today. I have Blue Dot, Power Pistol, AA9, and Longshot powders available. I like AA9 since it meters well. I was going to also try Longshot, but I seem to remember it burns at a very high temperature, and can cause forcing cone cutting...I think my source is Freedom Arms, but I can't find the article now. I have 180gr jhp, and 175 gr case from one of Lee's molds. I'm comfortable with AA9 for all my reloading, but Longshot is can achieve the similar velocities and pressures with less powder.

Are there any thoughts on using Longshot? I used it for my 357 with good results, but I'm concerned with the heat. That's why I probably have a fair amount left over.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 4 10mms; a Ruger BH convertible Buckeye, a 610 w/ 4" barrel, a Gen 2 Glock 29 and a Gen 1 Glock 20. Have used both the AA9 and Bluedot powders with great success and also Hodgdon's 800-X powder which seems to be the best powder for the 10 (in my opinion). Never tried Longshot or Power Pistol.

Boolit Master
    I had 7 610's over the years when I was shooting competition but I always shot 40's in them so we're talking a little difference here. I shot over 200,000 rounds through one of them at major power factor load level using WST powder & always cast bullets. I think you would have to shoot an awful lot of Longshot to have any problems with it shooting 10mm's. That's the powder I shoot in my Kimber Eclipse, so again not the same but I get great results & so do a lot of other shooters.

Dick

Boolit Master

Long shot and Blue Dot have been my go to powders for a long while.

I picked up a WFN 200G mold last year and tried Power Pistol. I wont load another powder with that bullet!!!!

#9 can be spikey. Mike 800x. Lil goes a long way.

I used Blue Dot since the 80's and started Longshot 12-15 years back and its been good. But this 200g cause deep seating and I started ta get pressures I didnt like. PP was very forgiving!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Have reloaded for both revolver and semi-auto 10mm handguns. Have used Unique, Blue Dot, Longshot and currently using HS-7 because I have several pounds I got cheap. No issues with any of it.

Boolit Master
    Chute…it’s not Long Shot but Lil’Gun that erodes forcing cones.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

#9 is good! I use it on 180gr XTP’s and now Lee 401-175-TC powder coated. I kill hogs with both. Use it with Glock 20 and 16” Carbine.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you!!! You're right.

Boolit Master
    A compressed charge of 4227 gives excellent results with heavy, cast bullets.

I load 15 grains with the Accurate 40-224H (225 grains.) It gives about 970 FPS from my 4” GP100 and averages just under 2” 5-shot groups at 50 yards.

16 grains is max, but I found 15 more accurate. It’s best to use a compression die and/or black powder drop tube, otherwise seating is pretty crunchy. 16 grains will almost completely fill the case.

Thanks to Outpost75 for sharing this load

The Accurate mould is designed specifically for 10mm revolvers. I’d call it somewhere between an LFN & WFN profile.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Long shot and Blue Dot have been my go to powders for a long while.

I picked up a WFN 200G mold last year and tried Power Pistol. I wont load another powder with that bullet!!!!

#9 can be spikey. Mike 800x. Lil goes a long way.

I used Blue Dot since the 80's and started Longshot 12-15 years back and its been good. But this 200g cause deep seating and I started ta get pressures I didnt like. PP was very forgiving!!

CW
    What’s your charge of Power Pistol with that WFN?

Moderator Emeritus

I am really happy with WC820 [AA9] and the 180 & 200 gr bullets in a Glock model 40 10mm.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    What’s your charge of Power Pistol with that WFN?
    Sorry I wont share that as its worked up safe in my gun. I o not know if safe for others.

I suggest same work from you. Follow your manual and you will be able to make a top Load for your gun as well.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw