Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .458 socom bullet for subsonic

Boolit Bub

.458 socom bullet for subsonic

I’m in the process of building a .458 socom upper. I’ve waiting on the government to approve my suppressor for it. I’d really appreciate any advice on a good mold that will work in an ar at subsonic velocities and still perform well on game up to large whitetails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Buddy
    NOE 500gr Spire point and the 500gr/600gr RF

600gr RF
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6DAA5498-3CEE-4EB8-AAA0-82D12DF2634F.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	308557

500gr SP

Name:	B9EB394E-A394-465C-829A-F5B4924107B6.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	308558

Boolit Master
    my experience would lead me to believe the bottom lot shown would be about the worst choice..... your wound at subsonic velocity is going to be like a target arrow pushed through,or a knitting needle unless you hit and destroy central nervous system or major locomotion bones it will be a slow killer... the softest pill with a big hollow point or at least a flat metplate will always be a better option....
    if your aim is spot on..subsonic is fun...if your aim is off by even a little bit..inch or two they suck.
    if worried about feeding from magazine......you could do a LOT worse than have a single fed hollow point as discribed in chamber and magazine full of reliable feeding rounds underneath,personally I would have no more than 3 subs then potent supers in mag... phit phit phitphit darn its still up or mob of hogs is now on run boom boom boom boom boom.

Boolit Buddy
    Something along this style of boolit. WOW! expensive factory stuff. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=496

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    my experience would lead me to believe the bottom lot shown would be about the worst choice..... your wound at subsonic velocity is going to be like a target arrow pushed through,or a knitting needle unless you hit and destroy central nervous system or major locomotion bones it will be a slow killer... the softest pill with a big hollow point or at least a flat metplate will always be a better option....
    if your aim is spot on..subsonic is fun...if your aim is off by even a little bit..inch or two they suck.
    if worried about feeding from magazine......you could do a LOT worse than have a single fed hollow point as discribed in chamber and magazine full of reliable feeding rounds underneath,personally I would have no more than 3 subs then potent supers in mag... phit phit phitphit darn its still up or mob of hogs is now on run boom boom boom boom boom.
    They sure put a hurting on Hogs here in the states. But what do I know

My 500 and 600gr RF molds have HP pins as well

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by makeurownfun View Post
    NOE 500gr Spire point and the 500gr/600gr RF

600gr RF

Name:	6DAA5498-3CEE-4EB8-AAA0-82D12DF2634F.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	308557

500gr SP

Name:	B9EB394E-A394-465C-829A-F5B4924107B6.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	308558
    Thanks for the response. This gives me somewhat of an idea what I should be looking for.

Subsonic AR.....you can not use flat point pure lead to start with. Look on line get your speed of sound at your actual altitude where you are going to hunt. Say for example it is 1,100 fps, you work back, not up. For the AR you need the bullet to feed 100% regardless and for hogs, you need 100% action function at semi auto.
    I would use H-110/296 with the 405 or 525 in a 16" barrel.

Most folks want more velocity, you need less velocity, with an as big as possible meplat that will still function through the mag and the barrel extension on the AR-15 you own.
    My RCBS 525 grain 458 mould feeds and functions well in my 45-70s and my 458 Lott bolt guns, should do OK in your SOCOM.
    I would not worry about expansion at all, the bullet is going right through a hog or a deer sized critter, regardless.
    Been shooting subsonic and super sonic cast in ARs for a couple of decades in a 358. This is my 230 grain 1,000 fps load, 358 and 30 cal.
    Just remember you are working with 2.26 OAL in an AR-15. You must work the pressure, timing, speed and feed at the same time. With a single shot you just worry about the speed.
    If you can find them still on line, read the postings on line by JD Jones of SSK about his development of the 300 Whisper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F888AC92-7D57-4709-BAD5-46808C546866.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    we hunt pigs/hogs normally in scrub country if not in tall timber..so yeah milage will vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Subsonic AR.....you can not use flat point pure lead to start with. Look on line get your speed of sound at your actual altitude where you are going to hunt. Say for example it is 1,100 fps, you work back, not up. For the AR you need the bullet to feed 100% regardless and for hogs, you need 100% action function at semi auto.

Most folks want more velocity, you need less velocity, with an as big as possible meplat that will still function through the mag and the barrel extension on the AR-15 you own.
    Why can’t you run a flat point lead bullet in an AR? I run these 600gr flat point in my 16” Tromix. Along with many others with no feeding issues?

The COAL is just under 2.1” on these I believe

Name:	5B5AC97D-3BB4-4993-BE2D-99084CAAB175.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	308619

Name:	A1D670B7-6870-45C2-9B29-98153DD9A825.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	308620

Boolit Master
    Why can’t you run a flat point lead bullet in an AR? I run these 600gr flat point in my 16” Tromix. Along with many others with no feeding issues?
    Flat point "pure" lead might be an issue I suppose. I use a hardcast WFN 350 grain in my 450 Bushmaster AR without issue. Too soft and the bullet might just deform and jam into feed ramp.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    I would use H-110/296 with the 405 or 525 in a 16" barrel.

My RCBS 525 grain 458 mould feeds and functions well in my 45-70s and my 458 Lott bolt guns, should do OK in your SOCOM.
    I would not worry about expansion at all, the bullet is going right through a hog or a deer sized critter, regardless.
    Been shooting subsonic and super sonic cast in ARs for a couple of decades in a 358. This is my 230 grain 1,000 fps load, 358 and 30 cal.
    Just remember you are working with 2.26 OAL in an AR-15. You must work the pressure, timing, speed and feed at the same time. With a single shot you just worry about the speed.
    If you can find them still on line, read the postings on line by JD Jones of SSK about his development of the 300 Whisper.
    I’m familiar with the .300 whisper aa’s the predecessor of the .300 blackout. I have a blackout as well that I’ll be shooting suns with as well, I just feel the socom will be a better subsonic option for hunting than the blackout will be.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    Flat point "pure" lead might be an issue I suppose. I use a hardcast WFN 350 grain in my 450 Bushmaster AR without issue. Too soft and the bullet might just deform and jam into feed ramp.
    Shooting subsonic? Even a common "wheel weight" alloy is plenty hard enough for subsonic speeds

Boolit Bub
    They sure put a hurting on Hogs here in the states. But what do I know

My 500 and 600gr RF molds have HP pins as well
    I’m considering ordering one of these two molds. Is there any reason you’d suggest the 500 gr or the 600 gr one over the other?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbadoyle View Post
    I’m considering ordering one of these two molds. Is there any reason you’d suggest the 500 gr or the 600 gr one over the other?

Not in particular no. If you are powdercoating, I will say that the Spire bullet is a little more forgiving. Because if the powdercoat is even a tad too thick, youll be jamming the bullet into the lands really easy. Because of the shorter nose, or "bulkier nose" on that particular style.
    BUT, that is an easy fix, just shake the bullets more before you coat them. I do like my 500 and 600gr Round Flat bullets because I have them in Hollow Point molds as well. You do have more options with the RF bullets.

Boolit Bub
    Not in particular no. If you are powdercoating, I will say that the Spire bullet is a little more forgiving. Because if the powdercoat is even a tad too thick, youll be jamming the bullet into the lands really easy. Because of the shorter nose, or "bulkier nose" on that particular style.
    BUT, that is an easy fix, just shake the bullets more before you coat them. I do like my 500 and 600gr Round Flat bullets because I have them in Hollow Point molds as well. You do have more options with the RF bullets.
    I’m looking at the 600 because it says it comes with 3 hollow point and one flat point option. The 500 looks like only one hollow point option unless I’m missing something in the description.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbadoyle View Post
    I’m looking at the 600 because it says it comes with 3 hollow point and one flat point option. The 500 looks like only one hollow point option unless I’m missing something in the description.

No, all of the NOE HP molds come with 3 different depth HP pins and also a set of flat pins. The only difference between the 500 and 600 is the length of the bullet. Same profile bullet

Boolit Master
    now something big heavy soft AND hollow pointed so it might open up a big is a whole different ball game.....
    but you still have to poke it in the right place.....
    the dynapoint hps shown elsewhere really look awesome....

Before I went too far with your experiment, I recommend you get a Lee 500 grain checked RNFP and cast them at 20:1 and test drive that before investing in a custom mould. The nose a hould be round enough to climb the feed ramp and soft enough to expand at the velocity limit you’ve placed upon yourself. I don’t think a hollow point is practical. If the lead is soft enough to expand, it will also deform the lips of your hollow point bullet when chambering. 500 grains is a lot of mass and will penetrate just fine. You’ll also get some expansion. Keep in mind, the hole starts at a diameter a 30 cal would like to expand to

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    Before I went too far with your experiment, I recommend you get a Lee 500 grain checked RNFP and cast them at 20:1 and test drive that before investing in a custom mould. The nose a hould be round enough to climb the feed ramp and soft enough to expand at the velocity limit you’ve placed upon yourself. I don’t think a hollow point is practical. If the lead is soft enough to expand, it will also deform the lips of your hollow point bullet when chambering. 500 grains is a lot of mass and will penetrate just fine. You’ll also get some expansion. Keep in mind, the hole starts at a diameter a 30 cal would like to expand to
    I appreciate the advice. My brother has that mold already. I’m also considering this mold for other future .45 caliber builds, so the socom is not my only reason for wanting it.

Boolit Bub
    No, all of the NOE HP molds come with 3 different depth HP pins and also a set of flat pins. The only difference between the 500 and 600 is the length of the bullet. Same profile bullet
    Can you give me a rough idea of what the weights are of the 600 hollow point options?