WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 45 ACP bullets

Moderator Emeritus

Range scrap can vary. I use the range scrap I harvest for 38 spl and 45acp, as it's fairly soft. Once in a while I get a batch of range scrap that is harder, almost like COWW...then I use that for everything I use COWW for, like 357 and 41m and standard cast velocity Rifle rounds.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I have been using range lead and COWW for years, it comes out to around 11BHN, and I use Hi-Tek coating with my hand cast 200 gr SWC H&G 68 type bullets loaded to 825 to 850 fps. Very accurate and no leading.
    My experience as well, save that I tumble lube with either BLL or 45/45/10.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Wheel weights and range lead is all I’ve ever used for my casting. I use it in .45 cas and ipsc loads. When I cast HB 265 gr boolits for my Webleys I add some pure lead to soften them up a little.

I shoot the Lyman 452374 cast of WW, sized to 0.452", lubed with 45-45-10, over 540 powder. They run about 850-875 fps, no leading, accurate.
    if it doesn't fit, don't force it. Get a BIGGER HAMMER!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    It'll work just fine, especially if there is some cast boolits in there.
    If you don't get a good fill out, raise the temp a little.
    If that doesn't work, throw in some wheel weights for the Tin in them.

If you don't powder coat, even the junkiest of lubes will work going that slow too.
    I use the wife's discarded fu-fu candles and soften it some with high temp disc brake grease for .38 & .45 ACP.
    I agree and BTDT for a few years. The 225 gr. Lyman feeds well in all my 45 ACP guns and is pretty accurate too. I have used my "Speed Green" and maybe a half dozen other lubes, including 45-45-10 on range lead with very little (no) leading...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I am shooting the NOE 454-237-RN-AC on top of logshot and it was one of the easiest new boolit/load combo I've put together.
    I've got a Sig 1911 and I put the boolit where I thought it should go and it chambered just fine - then my load dev brought me up to about 880 fps. That particular load had an ES of like 12 fps over the 5 rounds I tested with the chrony.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    Never used range scrap before, always COWW for pistols or Lyman #2 for rifles.

The Lee 200SWC is my favorite bullet for the .45. The 230TC wasn't bad either, I just like SWC's in pistols. Why Lee? Cause they were cheap and they worked for me. I powder coat everything these days.

Boolit Man
    Lee 200 swc runs great in my 1911. For general 45'ing, the 230s will feed and cycle in Sigs too, which the 200 won't.

one of my shooting buddies gave me some of those H&G 68's to try they were loaded with 3.5 grs of bullseye .they won't cycle my RIA 1911. I have ordered a mold from Accurate molds a clone of that #68 . when I get it I will try the 5gr of Bullseye and see how that goes.
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

Boolit Master

As most others have said. They should work just fine as long as they are the correct size.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by josper View Post
    one of my shooting buddies gave me some of those H&G 68's to try they were loaded with 3.5 grs of bullseye .they won't cycle my RIA 1911. I have ordered a mold from Accurate molds a clone of that #68 . when I get it I will try the 5gr of Bullseye and see how that goes.
    I'm not familiar with an RIA 1911, but all my Colts do well with that 3.5 Bullseye load and a SAECO #069 (H&G #68 copy). I use the standard recoil spring, not a light one. Load is very accurate and if you'll adjust it slightly, 3.6, 3.7, or maybe 3.8 grs., one of those should work fine. 5 grs. Bullseye behind the same bullet is an excellent load, chronographing about 850-875 fps Not quite as accurate as the target load, but pretty close and 200 fps faster. Good luck
    Last edited by lotech; 12-24-2022 at 09:16 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    wheelweight range scrap ,whatever i have on hand and powder coated. All my molds are Lee . I have both the 228 grain round nose and a 2oo grain flat nose. Both work well in my Taurus 1911 and before that in my Norinco

45 acp alloy & 3.8 Bullseye Load

Always add - 2" of Rotometals bar goes in my Lee 10 lb pot with scrap or WW. Casting Lyman 200 gr lswc BB. 3.8 Bullseye.

Boolit Master
    What???? No wadcutters?

Boolit Grand Master

As mentioned, the alloy composition of "range lead" can vary greatly. Try it with a casting alloy temp of 715 - 725 degrees. If fill out is good, then it's fine. If fill out isn't as it should be, then add about 2% tin in the form of pure tin, tin/lead solder or pewter.

Adding COWWs will not add enough tin as they run .5% or less tin. Adding linotype can add tin but also a lot more antimony. If your range lead has a lot of hard cast commercial bullet alloy in it, then it is already antimony rich. Adding more will only exacerbate the imbalance of antimony to tin.

I've used a lot of "range lead" alloy over the years taken from numerous different ranges. I always just add 2% tin to any range lead and have always cast excellent bullets with that alloy, especially for use in pistol/handgun cartridges.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    As mentioned, the alloy composition of "range lead" can vary greatly. Try it with a casting alloy temp of 715 - 725 degrees. If fill out is good, then it's fine. If fill out isn't as it should be, then add about 2% tin in the form of pure tin, tin/lead solder or pewter.

Adding COWWs will not add enough tin as they run .5% or less tin. Adding linotype can add tin but also a lot more antimony. If your range lead has a lot of hard cast commercial bullet alloy in it, then it is already antimony rich. Adding more will only exacerbate the imbalance of antimony to tin.

I've used a lot of "range lead" alloy over the years taken from numerous different ranges. I always just add 2% tin to any range lead and have always cast excellent bullets with that alloy, especially for use in pistol/handgun cartridges.
    I've found most of the range lead from one gun club pistol range I've picked up in the last few years, a mixture of cast and jacketed handgun bullets, though about 90% cast, has pretty consistently averaged 14 BHN. I haven't added tin for several years.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    I've found most of the range lead from one gun club pistol range I've picked up in the last few years, a mixture of cast and jacketed handgun bullets, though about 90% cast, has pretty consistently averaged 14 BHN. I haven't added tin for several years.
    That's a good alloy to begin with
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    All the old timers I knew (who were about the age I am now) used straight up range salvage or wheel weights to make H&G 68 or 130 45 acp bullets. Straight range salvage will tarnish, but who cares? Wheel weights will, but take longer.

I used to have an excellent source for foundry type which is 15% lead and 23% antimony - Arthur Greene in Beverly Hills, and, while he is long gone, I still have over 100# left. I usually add 2% lead which includes 3% antimony via foundry type to my range salvage. The bullets flow nicely, are a bit harder, and do not tarnish, at least not over ten years.

~~~~~
    Years ago when I was learning to program Visual Basic I wrote a program, "ALLOY" that will compute proportions of alloying metals in a lead mix, using equations I learned from Arthur Greene. It works rather well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	control panel.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	308472

Find it here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=share_link

Share the link, give away copies, but you may not sell it.

Last edited by pcmacd; 12-25-2022 at 05:24 PM.
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

Boolit Master
    Re: range scrap...
    It shot good once! It’ll shoot good again!

My favorite source of tin/antimony is 95/5 lead free solder.

I use mostly WW, but I’m starting to run low. 2-5gal buckets full. When that’s gone, I’ll get lead from RMR. His price includes shipping on a 64lb flat rate box. I still have a 5-gal bucket of Linotype too! By past consumption, a life time supply...

Boolit Buddy
    I separate my range scrap. Jacketed core lead is used for my target loads. The softest of random lead is used for my 45-230RN and hardest of random lead cast for 40S&W. Anything in between I cast using 9-122 TC bullets with. Then there are the lead flakes with a lot of slag. I give that to my brother to make fishing sinkers. My 45-230 RN Lee is loaded with 5.0gr BE with an OAL = 1.270" which just barely fits in the magazine.