Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: 454 loads with 200gr lee tl

Boolit Bub

454 loads with 200gr lee tl

I'm looking for loads for the 454 that use a 200gr lee tl. I have'nt been able to find data using this bullet. I would like loads that are both heavy and light. These loads will be used in a Taurus ragingbull. The reason I'm using the 200gr is that I can't find any heaver bullets that I can afford (layed off), but I've got 500lb lead and time. Thanks in advance....lost

Hullo Lostchild0, welcome, I can't help with the 200GR boolit load for the 454, I use 280-320gr range boolits for mine. I'm sure you know that Lee makes a couple of 45 cal molds for the heavier slugs, what a 2 cavity is about $19.00 with handles, can't be any cheaper that that.

Midsouth and Midway and Lee have them in stock most of the time.

Sorry to hear your unemployed, join the ranks , at least I'm older and not trying to raise a family and pay a mortgage.

I'm sure there is someone here that has info you want, did you check the "threads" for lite 454 loads, I have seen at least one on this subject recently, just don't remember where it is....check it out, good luck.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Master
    I do not load for the 454 but it was developed from the 45 colt which I do load for and do use the tumble lube lee 200 gr bullet. as the 454 case is about .1 inch longer it will give lower pressure with the colt loads for the TL bullet. I get good results with 6 gr of red dot in the colt. This or say 6.5 would be a safe starting load in the 454. I also use unique and load about 7 to 8 gr of that stuff. I have found that you can not drive a TL bullet too fast without leading using ACWW which is mostly what I shoot.

Boolit Master

ive never shot 200 gr bullets from the 454 casull , but from my experiance with 240 gr bullets shoot ok , the 260 gr pretty good the 300gr excellent . i also belive the twist rate is towards heaver bullets. i have a lbt 300gr lfngc and a mountian mould 260 lfngc both shoot very well but the 300 is more acurate at 50 yards and beyond. i use the mm260 without the gas ck for loads from 900 to 1200 fps with great results. this winter i bought the lee 255 gr fn so far with 8 loads tried its the worst groups my guns have ever shot. if i cant get at least a inch 10 shot group at 25 yards its no good ! i made a little over 2000 if i cant find a load it will be for sale, let me know

For reference:

I've loaded 16 grains of Blue Dot under a 200 grain Speer JHP (the old "flying ashtray") in 45 Colt cases. It gave 1357 fps avg in a 6 shot string from a 7-1/2" revolver.

10 grains of WW 231 gave 1175 fps with the same bullet.

These were Ruger Only loads for 45 Colt, so ~25k psi. They were not MAX loads in 45 Colt. Should be perfectly safe with your Lee TL bullet fired from a 454 revolver, especially if you use them for start loads in 454 cases.

14 grains of 2400 with a 200gn semi wadcutter. I used to use it for Western Action but it does leave unburned granules behind. Does shoot well though - 1.5 - 2" groups at 25 metres.
    I use 8.5 grains of ADI AP-70 which shoots a little better and without the unburnt powder.
    I don't know if the ADI stuff is available over your way though.
    Handgun is a Ruger.
    Do, or do not. There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master

I've used a light load of Bullseye, I used 5 grains with a 200 gr cast. You could go even lighter, probably, for a plinking load.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks all for the help. It really helped, both loading and mental health (I can't do a lot due to lack of money but this helps me make do with what I have). Again thanks for the help.....lost

Boolit Grand Master
    Whatever you use, stay away from slow burning ball powders or you'll be driving stuck boolits from the barrel.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore