RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old red dot

Boolit Master
    Here are two old Red Dot 1lb cans I have. I think the yellowed one is the 1st one I got in 1976. The price is $5.85. I continued to buy 1lb cans until 1984 when i got out of college and had my own money then started buying the 8 lb cardboard containers with the removable top. I'd use a modified powder funnel to refill the 1lb container because they were easier to use to fill the MEC 600 powder bottle with because of the narrow plastic spout. There was a 4lb can that was just a larger version of these 1lb cans.

I agree that the container shown by the original poster would be a pain to empty but I'm sure they were designed that way so they could be stacked.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20221103_214920 (2).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	306513

What reloading manuals would have the red dot loads for 30-30? I’m assuming the older Lyman cast bullet manuals from the 50’s-70’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by michael.birdsley View Post
    What reloading manuals would have the red dot loads for 30-30? I’m assuming the older Lyman cast bullet manuals from the 50’s-70’s?

Try Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook - 3rd Edition - 1980
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    Question.....How old is that big red can of red dot powder???
    How old #2.

Was in a gun shop yesterday with these fine bits sitting on the shelf:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221104_163530_resized.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	306546

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221104_163549_resized.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	306547

Gets a little closer to how late the steel cans were available. Obviously until at least 1973. I remember seeing the pink cans. Curious how well they sold. Don't think it was sun faded, too even.

This gun shop must have had every old guy for 50 miles around cleaning out their garages. They had upwards of 2 dozen old weird powder cans, primers, bullets, and shotgun "wads" sitting on the shelf. All for sale. All at stupid expensive prices.

40 year old Federal Match LR primers. $299/brick. Herter's primers and bullets. Herter's and Alcan card and cork wads.

Received my reproduction copy of the 1980 version of the Lyman cast bullet log. They use red dot for just about every load in .30-.30. Should be good to go

Boolit Bub
    Got 11 pounds of Red Dot in its original (15# I think) cardboard container a few years back. Was marked 1977. It had been stored in a basement un-touched for at least 35 years. Looked fine, smelled fine so I loaded it up for 1 ounce shotgun target loads. Used 18g IIRC. All shot fine.