Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So you're been reloading for a while ...

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I run two Hornady LNLs, one set up for small primer and one for large primer. My son runs them at about 400 rounds per hour without the bullet and case feeders. Took the automated case and bullet feeders off the presses...too noisy to use. Mostly load semi auto pistol and .357Magnum on the LNLs.
    I bought two Dillon 550s but decided I didn't really need them so I sold them.

We also both use Rock Chuckers for smaller batches and load development. I am retired so I load big bore revolver cartridges on my Rick Chucker usually in batches of between 2-300 at a time.

Boolit Master

Rock chucker are great for low volume-high le stage sizing or forming. Love mine.

Boolit Master
    First Progressive press I bought was a Dillon 450,then a 550 and finally 2 650s. The only complaint with the 650s is the exchanging the primer cup that's why I have 2 650s.

Run 2 LNL's with bullet & case feeders. The bullet feeder & one case feeder is 3D printed right from here. Only problem is they run me out of primers in a hurry.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ullet-Collator

Boolit Master
    First progressive was a Loadmaster, but after crushing too many primers, it went into a box where it still resides.

My main press is now the Dillon 650XL, yes the conversion kits are expensive but it’s super nice to have 10 or so tool heads setup with dies already adjusted, takes a few seconds to swap out the tool heads. I like the CNC machined tool heads found on eBay vs the cast Dillon heads and the CNC heads are cheaper.

Swapping from small to large primers does take a few minutes but not difficult. I also have a small and large primer swaging kit that fits into the 650 to allow pocket swaging.

Basically I see the 650/750’s as pretty much a do it all press for anything I’ll ever load. If I need the Rockchucker, I can set it up right next to the 650. Unless there has been a major update to the priming system on the Loadmaster, I have no intention of ever dealing with it again, I love loading ammo, not fiddling with the loader constantly.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    JimB, have you tried using the Hornady Case Activated type powder drops on your 650? I switched both of my 450s over to the case activated drops (well actually a Hornady and a near identical one from RCBS but I don't recall the name RCBS hung on it) with RCBS Uni-flow measures. No more powder leakage or powder bar binding with super fine powders. Yea it seems clunky and loud but it is working for me.
    It is on my list of things to try. When I sold my LnL stuff I held back 3 or 4 powder measures specifically for this, just haven’t gotten to it.

Boolit Master

For those that like populated tool heads on a press look at a Lee 3 4 or 5 hole press I love my four hole once you have the tool head populated you pop it in and make ammo takes a few seconds to change over, and the tool heads cost about $15 or less

Boolit Buddy
    Rock Chuckers 70's, still use them, Star(s) 45 ACP, 38 SPL. simply well oiled machines smooth running Use them a lot.
    Pro 7's, Projectors- still use them, CH Autochamps, Hornady LNL-AP, Dillon 550-650
    Stars for 45 ACP, 38 Spl, Dillon 650-223, 550-9mm, Hornady LNL-AP-308, Pro 7's / Projector(s) Common rounds.
    Rock Chucker(s) / Redding BBII, Load development, swaging-case forming, out of all of them the Stars hands down
    Just great machines

-Rock

Boolit Master

For me, low volume rounds = Rock Chucker. High volume consisting of mostly pistol = couple Dillon 650's. I can then crank out ample ammo relatively easy.
    Last edited by jeepyj; 11-10-2022 at 05:50 AM.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Has anyone with a LnL AP found that the ejector nub on the baseplate wears down, so the case tries to ride over it causing a bind on ejection ?

Boolit Bub

i have always loaded on a single stage press. got my first press a herters super model three at a flea market for 25 dollars then added a couple rockchucker's then the press buying started bonanza, c&h, more herter's twin ram and turret. just picked up a bunch of dillon stuff off a guy who it was givin too and he did not use it, it's a 650 can't wait to get it set up and runnin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    Has anyone with a LnL AP found that the ejector nub on the baseplate wears down, so the case tries to ride over it causing a bind on ejection ?
    I don’t know that the cause was wearing of the ejector nub, it is steel and the cases are brass so that’d take a crazy number of rounds, but yes I had ejection problems.

Boolit Master

" to load a few pistol calibers", just to keep me focused. I use an RCBS for most stuff (rifle). I got a Lee 1000 with all the trimmings and find it a great time saver. With all the case feeders, bullet feeder moving up and down on every stroke. well, I mput stabilizer rods in the bench to reduce the wobble. They have primer feed issues, see utube. I am not sure you ever get that 100 % fixed so you need to inspect ammo before shooting. You would do this anyway. I have seated primers sideways in the Rockchucker more times than I could count and never felt it. I prime on the bench tool now. I have Stars for 38 Spec, 357 Mag, 45ACP. Very nice machine but obsolete, means nobody carries parts. Caliber change costly and time consuming. like months or years till you find what you want. Changing powder cgarge is a PITA as well. Very nice if loading only one load- powder and bullet combo.BTW 38/357 and 45 ACP are fairly common if that's all you want. Generally set up for Police or gun club loads.
    My Lee does that and 9mm,10mm, 45 AutoRim, 32-20,25-20, Hornet,380 Auto and on and on. It dies and a shell plate away-lots of dealers, still supported by Lee. They say they will do some rifles. I never tried.
    I got a Dillion 550 cast off but have yet to set it up. Looking to load lots of 30-06, 8mm on it.
    best wishes, lets know what you decide.

Boolit Master
    I'd spend the money and indoor space on a lathe long before a progressive press. I think if I loaded 500-1000 rounds at a time there might be a point. I think the machines are cool, I'd probably get a Dillon but I would need a Reason. And I'm not being critical of anyone who just plain enjoys owning a progressive, I would just rather have something else.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I don’t know that the cause was wearing of the ejector nub, it is steel and the cases are brass so that’d take a crazy number of rounds, but yes I had ejection problems.
    Both mine had the problem after just a couple thousand rounds each, I spot welded them back up and shaped with a dremel. I finished them a bit higher with less clearance for the shellplate groove.

Hornady would have replaced the parts, but I thought I'll try fix it myself first.

I once had a breakage on the part that the shellplate is fixed to and keeps the shellplate above the carrier, which Hornady replaced. It looks like that part is sintered. I may have caused the breakage by overtightening the shellplate bolt.

I mananged to pick up a pair of Pro-Jectors, and so far they seem to be built a little stronger, and as reliable.

Boolit Grand Master
    One aspect no one seems to have mentioned is the small group of us who collect (or just accumulate) a variety of reloading gear just for the joy of the hunt! I have loaders and gear in orange, green, blue, red, brown grey,etc. but I have to admit that I gravitate toward a couple of my presses depending on what I want to load that day and what press(es) may be handy to use for that caliber. But as far as having a single favorite… NOPE!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    One aspect no one seems to have mentioned is the small group of us who collect (or just accumulate) a variety of reloading gear just for the joy of the hunt! I have loaders and gear in orange, green, blue, red, brown grey,etc. but I have to admit that I gravitate toward a couple of my presses depending on what I want to load that day and what press(es) may be handy to use for that caliber. But as far as having a single favorite… NOPE!
    Froggie
    I don't think the group is that small. Anyone who has more reloading presses than they need is a member.

Boolit Master
    I guess I'm a member of the more presses than I need group. I have a Star, a Texan 12 ga, a Dillon 550b, a Dillon Square deal, three lee pro 1000s and a bunch of single stage and a few turrets. I only have 5 set up to use, they are 2 rock checkers, a bonanza co-ax, the Dillon 550b and an old Lyman Spartan T. I just don't have room for the other 15 or so. I really only use the 550 and the co-ax for reloading. The rock chuckers are used for case forming and they Spartan is used for light case forming where I use several dies/stages for forming a case.

I could get by with just the 550 the co-ax and a rock chucker but I'm building a 40x60 shop so I'm hoping to set up a bunch more of the presses.

Boolit Master

There are some true Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor reloading equipment owners on this site. Binford Mfg. would be proud of you.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

3 Dillon 550s and 2 650s. One 650 set up for large primer and the other with small for quick caliber conversions . Over the years I have I am much better off getting high quality stuff from the get go if I can afford it. Dillon have minimal problems and I have had several different progressives over the years. I ,of course have multiple single stage and turret presses but I only use those for very low volume stuff like hunting ammo for rifles. Rarely handgun. Buy once cry once