Thread: Muzzleloader Buck

Boolit Bub

Muzzleloader Buck

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221019_094018129.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	306051

Last week was primitive weapons season in my state. I generally take a deer or two with my inline muzzleloader. This year I shot a nice 9 point, and the bullet didn't exit.

My usual load is 80 grains volumetric of Blackhorn 209 with a Lee C430-210-RF cast of a lead and tin alloy. I have never had one not exit.

This year I cast a bunch out of pure lead. I found it under the skin on the off side shoulder. It weighs within 99% of the starting weight.
    I prefer an entrance and an exit because they bleed more, but I can't complain about the performance!

Boolit Master
    Congrats on the Big "9" !! I don't soften mine up quite that much, I like an exit also. Good Job!

Boolit Master
    Perfect expansion. Performed exactly as a good soft muzzleloader boolit should.

Does that bullet shoot pretty good out of the sabot? I have a flat based mold that just barely makes 4 inch groups at a hundred yards. Nothing like the 270 grain Speer flat noses.

Boolit Bub
    These shoot well in a Thompson Center sabot. I've tried them with wheelweights, dental x-ray foil and pure lead alloy. It didn't like the WW, but the other two were sub two inch groups at 100. I even tried gas checked to see if it changed anything, and it didn't like them.

Boolit Buddy
    My inline (Knight Disc Extreme) likes that bullet as well with 100gr. of T7. It also likes the Lee 252 SWC and the 220 RFN (90gr. of T7). 50-50 WW-Pure Traditions and Harvester sabots shoot same POI. Harvesters group a bit tighter.

Congratulations on a nice buck! Looking at the picture I'd say he didn't go far.

John