Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Blue Dot

Boolit Master

Blue Dot

Can someone please tell me if Blue Dot has blue dots or not. I know Green Dot and Red Dot have respective colored dots, but I got some powder That I suspect to be Green Dot in a Blue Dot container. Thanks
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    The last BLUE dot I saw (2 years +) had BLUE dots. There was a distinct difference in the colors made 5 years ago.
    Is this NEW stock or "been around awhile" and maybe someone messed up ? Any reloading person close by have have some BLUE and GREEN to compare flake colors with ?
    Mike in Peru HE is Risen !
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    My twenty year old Green Dot still has green dots in it. My twenty year old Blue Dot still has a few blue flakes left. You have to look close to see them now but they are still blue. but they are very faded.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Man
    Just opened a brand new can of blue dot to see and yes it has blue dots. As said they are faded but they are there.
    TC66

I will keep my GUNS and MONEY and you can keep the "CHANGE"!!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Same here....I have a can of Green Dot and a coupla cans of Blue Dot that are in the old Hercules cardboard cans. The dots are faded, but under good light you can still see 'em. The blue and green are very similar to my old eyes though. I rely more on what it says on the can than the color of the dots. I'm the only one who has ever taken powder out of 'em, so I know they are what it sez on the can....
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

Boolit Master

I have Green Dot from the late 60s and it is a olive green color. No flakes of green. I think what happened was the guy I got it from put Green Dot in a Blue dot container. I got 3 pounds of Green Dot, a pound of Bullseye and a pound of 2400 plus 98 pounds of 6, 8, and 2 shot today for 120 bucks! The Blue Dot container has Green Dot in it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    I have Green Dot from the late 60s and it is a olive green color. No flakes of green. I think what happened was the guy I got it from put Green Dot in a Blue dot container. I got 3 pounds of Green Dot, a pound of Bullseye and a pound of 2400 plus 98 pounds of 6, 8, and 2 shot today for 120 bucks! The Blue Dot container has Green Dot in it.
    If there is any doubt I would not take a chance.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master

Just loaded 20 shells with 21.5gr. Green Dot and fired them out of the Mod.11 Rem. They were short stroking. I Loaded up some and gonna go shoot this afternoon with 22.5gr and hopefully they will fire and eject. I did a comparison to unopened canisters of Green Dot I have and the powder looks identical. I poured the entire contents of the Blue Dot canister in a SS pan and sifted it all around and did the same with an unopened sealed canister in another pan and sifted as well. They are identical with a side by side comparison. No blue dots to be found. All bright green dots through out both.

Boolit Master

22.5gr. of green Dot is still short stroking the Rem. Mod. 11 Auto. I just loaded 10 with 24.5gr. Herco and we'll see how it goes. Loaded them all with a Lee Loader that was given to me by a member of another forum (also gave me the 20ga loader as well). I like the little kit from Lee. I give each shell 3 smart whacks with a rubber mallet to finalize my crimp and they turn out great! These shells are on there 3rd loading (first being factory), and they look good to me. P.S. I left the pic big for Junior

Looks great to me too, let us know how the herco does

Boolit Master

Exclamation

I can't even imagine why someone would put Green Dot in a Blue Dot container! Or any powder in a different container for that matter--That is about the height of irresposibility...

Maybe some people just shouldn't be around reloading equipment and supplies...

BCB

Boolit Master

I would venture to guess they had a hopper they wanted to empty and poured it in an empty Blue Dot container. I have put powder into other containers, but I labeled it appropriately, and I knew exactly what it was.

Boolit Master

Shot 10 with 24.5gr. Herco and 10 with 24gr. Unique. Both worked great! Where the Green Dot was "dribbling" the empty hulls out of the ejection port, the Unique and Herco was ejecting them smartly! They also had a marked difference on my shoulder!

Thanks for the update, hope your shoulder feels better today

Boolit Grand Master

If you load for revolvers you could use Green Dot data and chronograph the loads. This should give you a better idea of what the powder is. If it is green Dot you will be safe, if it is Blue Dot you probably will still be safe. Just make sure you don't stick a boolit in the barrel.
    Use at your own risk.