RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxMCD ProductsLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W rebound spring housing

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

S&W rebound spring housing NOT PLASTIC

I was doing some internal work on my daughter's new 642s, she bought 2 of them, and discovered that the rebound housing is PLASTIC! Now I suppose, no more than these guns will be shot, it isn't an issue but just the thought drives me up the wall.

Steel rebound housings are cheap so would it make sense to replace the plastic with steel?
    Last edited by roysha; 04-18-2022 at 12:32 PM.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Super Moderator

For peace of mind, I probably would.

The plastic works well, until it doesn't.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master

I’m sure the Engineers calculated loads and wear very carefully. The news still makes me sad.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I’m sure the Engineers calculated loads and wear very carefully. The news still makes me sad.
    Yeah, but I wonder if they counted on the wild and wacky types of solvents that people can douse their guns with? On top of everything else, now I have to start worrying about the guts of my snub-noses turning to goo.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master

Uh Lightweight gun. Plastic is lighter. This gun is for SD not the range. Want practice, buy a steel version to shoot. What we did in the olden days (70's-80's) Have a 36 to shoot and practice carry a M37 every day. Qualify with the 37 also.

Never taken the 642 I have apart. I shoot the M36 with the hammer spur cutoff for practice the double actions are close to the same.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    Yeah, but I wonder if they counted on the wild and wacky types of solvents that people can douse their guns with? On top of everything else, now I have to start worrying about the guts of my snub-noses turning to goo.
    I’m sure it is as resistant to solvents as the frames of all those polymer pistols out there. I don’t have to worry any as my stuff is all many years old, but it is the passing of an era.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Plastic Guns / Plastic Gun Parts and Laminated Wood Stocks ...
    Some of the things I just can't live with .

Replace the platic part with real metal part ...

How many people die because of cheap plastic parts in places they shouldn't be in ...
    Death by Bean Counter ...will probably be on my head stone .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    How does the trigger return plunger mate on the rebound slide? It is still steel, or so I presume, and it puts pressure on the rebound slide every time the trigger is pulled. I'm not understanding how this won't cause premature wear.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Have you actually checked the part with a magnet and determined that it is nonferrous? My guess is that these are a MIM part and may look different, but also may be coated with a Teflon or Cerracote finish to reduce friction.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Have you actually checked the part with a magnet and determined that it is nonferrous? My guess is that these are a MIM part and may look different, but also may be coated with a Teflon or Cerracote finish to reduce friction.
    Now that would be a neat idea and reduce the need to polish the slide, IF...the bean counters would go for it.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us! The more I travel, the more I like right where I am.

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    I was doing some internal work on my daughter's new 642s, she bought 2 of them, and discovered that the rebound housing is PLASTIC! Now I suppose, no more than these guns will be shot, it isn't an issue but just the thought drives me up the wall.
    Steel rebound housings are cheap so would it make sense to replace the plastic with steel?
    ...I would have already done it, but I don't tend to consider that a steel replacement could wear the parts in contact differently. if the bean counters have provided equally new-age materials for them, it would be worth considering carefully before.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    I have a newer model 60 and it has a steel housing. There might be a sound engineering reason they did this on those light weight guns. Perhaps the plastic cushions the spring? Wonder if they also did that on the 629 pd models?

Boolit Master
    People want lightweight guns and then complain about lightweight parts...

Do the guns have a lifetime warranty?

I won't say it's bad, but it doesn't sound all that appealing either. A Smith & Wesson revolver with plastic parts inside? Well, if that doesn't bring the old saying "They ain't makin' em' like they used to", nothing does.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

Self lubricating on an aluminum frame?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    Self lubricating on an aluminum frame?
    Yes. Necessary to prevent galling from sliding contact of dissimilar metals.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy

Roysha

That’s interesting that the rebound slide is plastic on your daughter’s 642s. Must be a recent change. The rebound slide does a lot of work in those little DAO revolvers. The one in my pocket has a MIM rebound slide, hammer, and trigger. It’s sort of new. Maybe 10 years old or so.

I would be very interested in some close up pix of the plastic part to see how the geometry might be different from the MIM part.

Boolit Grand Master

Dang, when they switched to MIM parts I thought it couldn't get much worse...wrong.
    If you are going to make a hole in something. MAKE IT A BIG ONE!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm quite certain that S&W rebound slides are steel and always have been. S&W switched to MIM probably 25 or more years ago and they work fine. MIM gives a super smooth surface finish so they are nice and shiny but are most definitely steel. Put a magnet on them. I bet yours are steel.