RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Henry 30-30 w/cast bullets

Henry 30-30 w/cast bullets

Hello folks,i have a hunting related question and would appreciate your collective advice. I recently bought a Henry steel 30-30 and a Winchester 1894 circa 1905 also 30-30. I plan on shooting plinking loads in the Winchester due to it's age but i'd like to hunt with the Henry using cast bullets. I have the Lee 160gr. bullet w/gas check. I have two powders suitable for the 30-30 i believe: SR4759 and Reloader 7.I've found no rifle powders in my area(Maine) currently. I'm not sure what velocity i need for expansion using wheelweights in that Lee mold(160 gr.) . Would anything over 1500 fps be sufficient? I'm a revolver guy and i'm new to casting for rifles and would like any thoughts on this. Thank you.
    ​Je suis Charlie

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Either of those powders will work great. My rifles really like 17 grains 4759 under the Lee C309-170-RF. Clocks 1600 fps so basically .32-40 power level. What kind of distance are hunting at? As i understand it, .30 cal boolits really don't like to expand at lower velocity and/or long distance. For hunting, it might be easier to just pick up a couple boxes of Hornady 170 grain soft points and load them with your Reloder 7 until you get cast slugs lined out. You can also buy the excellent Lyman 170 grain flat point sized and gas checked for about $20.00/100 from The Cast Bullet Shop.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Hello sir,i like to hunt woods rather than fields so my shots will be in the 50-75 yard range at best. 32-40 level should get the job done. I was concerned that if i don't get enough velocity i'll just be making .30 caliber holes.
    ​Je suis Charlie

Boolit Grand Master
    If that Lee 160 has a nice sharp meplat, the weight is right and it wild a nice job. (I just don't know that mold)

If using straight wheelweights, I think that I would file a flat on the bullets nose to prevent magazine tube problems with that semi pointed nose. 50/50 Ww/ pb would probably be better.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If using straight wheelweights, I think that I would file a flat on the bullets nose to prevent magazine tube problems with that semi pointed nose. 50/50 Ww/ pb would probably be better.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    That's two things i hadn't considered. I have some lead flashing so i'm going to make my first reloads for the Henry this weekend. Thanks to everyone who's responded. I appreciate the help.
    ​Je suis Charlie

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The 17 grain IMR 4759 load I mentioned does great with softer alloy. I just use air cooled range scrap, I'm sure flashing would work great also. At your distances I see no reason why it wouldn't get the job done. Like TBG mentioned, you should probably carefully file or cut a flat spot on the nose, this will also help with expansion.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure what that lee 160 grain bullet looks like but you will definitely want to be using flat nose bullets or a round nose for a tube fed gun such as the Henry or the winchester. there are all kinds of warnings out there about using pointed bullets in lever action tube fed rifles. the lee 170 grain bullet shoots pretty good in all the lever actions ive tried them in.

The Lee 160 gr. is a round nose design as well. I wanted a 170 gr. but back in January there were none to be found.
    ​Je suis Charlie

Boolit Master

You should also be fine using those loads to hunt with the winchester.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

I also would go with 50-50 for corn crunchers. They are soft body types and even shoulders get drilled by 50-50.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned
    165gr ranch dogs!!!!!!! make them soft!!! i used COWW and a skosh of tin(11-13 bhn).

left and right boolits, i shot a 30-40 krag at 1930fps.