MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Early T/C Contender action identification

Boolit Mold

Early T/C Contender action identification

I have inherited a 4 digest serial number Contender action. The left side is etched with a jack rabbit and the right side with a coyote howling at the moon. Both figures surrounded by filigree. Appears to be factory done. Would appreciate any thoughts about this. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Haven't heard of those engravings. Sounds like it could be an NRA Centennial but a 4 digit serial number would be wrong unless the NRA version used their own series of serial numbers.

https://gundigest.com/more/classic-g...nter-contender

3. The NRA Contender

“In 1971, when the National Rifle Association hit its century mark, gunmakers across the country vied for the honor of producing the official NRA Centennial Commemorative Handguns. Thompson-Center got into the race, and ran a small series of specially engraved and gold-inlaid NRA Commemorative guns. There was a production holdup, however, and Warren Center told me sadly that by the time he got one ready for NRA to look at, they had already given the honor to Colt. Four or five NRA Commemorative Contenders were completed.”
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-04-2022 at 10:24 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

These guys maybe able to help.

http://thompsoncenterassociation.org/index.html

Boolit Master
    Never seen one of those, and I have got, seen, held, plenty of "early" Contenders.. still may have a couple..
    Wonders if TC did special Runs back then??? They sure used to be Accommodating... Miss them Dearly
    Now that I have looked about a bit... They even offered Frames with Nothing on the sides... to Places like JDJ... Prolly Not me and you

One more edit.. Wiki don't even know about the Early Hammers that selected the firing pin with a Screwdriver.. Custom made serial numbers generally had the Customer "Mark" with serial number,.. starting with 0, if that is what was desired.. No Other "marks on Frames from TC regular production... Hoping yours has the early Screwdriver selector on the hammer!!! Otherwise... Gonna be Tough as Later they went to the Side selector, then top... or Vice-verse
    Last edited by racepres; 04-04-2022 at 03:59 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have had a number of Contenders over the years but have never seen or heard of the one that you described. Would you please post some pics of it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Ditto pictures

Boolit Master
    I’ve seen plain, the various cougars, and even an eagle, but not either a coyote or a bunny. I have a vague recollection of a howling wolf, but not 100%.
    Would love to see pics.

Boolit Master
    According to some data I've seen, Contenders were first made in 1967 and four digit serial numbers ended in 1969. the last 1967 number was#2250, last 1968 number was #4330, and the last number of 1969 was 11075. So your example is a very early one.

Boolit Master
    I think you must have one of the early contenders underwritten by Warner Brothers and distributed by the Acme Company. In all seriousness, I haven't seen one like that either.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Boolit Buddy

It is probably a factory flat sided frame that was engraved but a gunsmith or meta l finisher. Gary Reeder does some nice work on his barrels and I have seen one flat sided frame with his engraving work.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the comments fellows. I have pictures but haven’t been able to figure out how to post them.Did talk to an elderly retired gunsmith who thought that when T/C made the plain flat side actions you could request a custom etching on them. Perhaps that’s what happened to this action. Still searching for something concrete.