Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dirty 9mm Brass

Boolit Master

Possibly check your brass quality, and there is the good chance your chamber may be oversized. Is it a bargain bin upper? I've seen some pretty rough chambers in the cheaper gun show upper.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pbaker View Post
    I settled on a .358 powder die. My barrels all slug @ .356 (+/- .0005), so I think at .358 I definitely get enough squeeze to seal the chamber. Crappy part is now I have to melt down all the bullets I sized to .357 and start over.
    Unless your REALLY need the alloy, or if it's a large amount, you might want to just hang on to them. 9MMs vary widely in bore diameter. You might get another 9 in the future that likes .357's.

I have approximately 1,000+ rounds that I sized to .357. It would be easier to just scrap them and melt them down with a batch of COWW. It’s much easier to size everything to .358 for now, and then size again to .356-.357 when/if needed.

My upper is an Aero, as well as the barrel. From my measurements/estimate, the throats will accept anything smaller than .3605”. So sizing to .358 should work out just fine.
    I was in the front row and I was HAMMERED DRUNK!

Boolit Master

I have to disagree that 9mm doesn’t need a crimp. It should be taper crimped to 9.65mm/0.3799” at the mouth. I measure “a hair’s breadth” behind the mouth to be sure I’m not measuring on a burr. The taper crimp assures adequate case tension.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    I have to disagree that 9mm doesn’t need a crimp. It should be taper crimped to 9.65mm/0.3799” at the mouth. I measure “a hair’s breadth” behind the mouth to be sure I’m not measuring on a burr. The taper crimp assures adequate case tension.
    And gives you a better chance of consistency. Not that the short distances people seem to shoot 9mm at require match grade ammo but I like to crimp.

On a side note/issue, has anyone tried to custom fit their seating stem using JB Weld? I’m getting the olé smiley face on the tip of my RN bullets. Thinking about re-profiling it with some JB Weld

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Faster powders are your solution.

Dark brass.....no problem. Dirty brass (with rough crud on it) needs to be cleaned but shiny new IS NOT required for any load!

The reason I settled on HS6 is because I’m using an 8.3” barrel, so I figured the slower burn would be good for this setup. Many people use HS6 for many pistol applications, so it’s not particularly a powder issue. I definitely have/had undersized bullets, possibly mixed with a light load. I need to mix up some more loads with larger bullets and see where that gets me.