Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progressive Press Help

Boolit Buddy

Progressive Press Help

I use a single stage press for my hot loads and precision rifle loads. I use a Lee Classic 4-hole turret press for 9mm, 10mm and 556 which is great when only shooting 100 rounds a week. However, since I retired, I've been shooting 250 plus rounds a week.

I want to speed up the process and not sure what progressive press setup to go with.

I was looking at the Lee 4000 (it seems to have everything needed), but just not sure what is the best route to go and hoping someone can help with lessons learned when you first went this route.

FYI- I use the inline fabrication system so changing out press' is a breeze
    Last edited by TXCOONDOG; 03-30-2022 at 11:17 AM.

Boolit Master
    Years ago when I wanted to load faster I bought a Dillon 550b. I am very happy with that choice. 400 rounds per hour is taking your time to make sure things go right. I am not familiar with the Lee 4000. The only other progressive presses I have used are the Lee 1000 and the Star universal, I would not recommend either for your use.

Boolit Master
    If you have and like your Lee turret the 4000 should be a good fit for you .
    I like mine and have loaded a lot of rounds on it. Just take your time at the beginning so you miss any of the manual steps in the process and you will have a loaded round each pull of the lever

Boolit Grand Master
    This should be interesting.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    In the action shooting crowd, who are all very high volume reloaders (thousands of rounds per month), the Dillon presses are very popular for functionality straight out of the box, durability, reliability, the excellent warranty and, when needed, their repair service.

Their 550 (manually indexed) and 750 (auto indexing) models are the most popular. If you just reload handgun cartridges and don’t mind having to use press specific proprietary dies (the other models use standard dies), their basic SDB model works well (it’s what I use).

Dillon presses are not inexpensive, though, and, like a lot of shooting related gear, have been hard to find recently.

You are doing retirement wrong…
    Tony

I'd go easy on speeding up your reloading rate.
    You may want to re-think this and consider going back to a single stage press or even a Lee 'whack-a-mole.

The time you save may well get used for 'honey-do' projects that involve real work.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'd go easy on speeding up your reloading rate.
    You may want to re-think this and consider going back to a single stage press or even a Lee 'whack-a-mole.

The time you save may well get used for 'honey-do' projects that involve real work.
    Too late. Widened the driveway for a new pontoon catfish rig, finished my doghouse (workshop), new roof, new brakes on the truck, new swimming pool ....now it's all about hunting, fishing and shooting or whatever!

If you’re near me, I can introduce you to 5 stand shooting and that will fill your days.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    If you’re near me, I can introduce you to 5 stand shooting and that will fill your days.
    LMAO....I worked construction over 30 years and can always find something to do as my family always needs help with something. Besides, never been much for shooting clays...fun but not my thing
    Last edited by TXCOONDOG; 03-30-2022 at 07:29 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    You are doing retirement wrong…
    Tony
    Of course I am as it's new to me, but I'm enjoying the #### out of it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    This should be interesting.
    Life would be boring any other way

Boolit Master
    I'll put my $0.02 in here. if your doing a lot of different calibers the hornady LNLAP is much less expensive than the cost of caliber change kits for the Dillion.
    for many years ive used a Lyman orange turret, t-mag I guess they call it. but then when I got the hornady right after they changed it from the projector press, it was like night and day and the sunshine was coming in. some how I got to reloading right at about 50 different calibers and I never could have afforded the Dillion caliber change kits for all of them. but the Dillions are excellent presses and everyone who has one says its the best thing since sliced bread.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I'll put my $0.02 in here. if your doing a lot of different calibers the hornady LNLAP is much less expensive than the cost of caliber change kits for the Dillion.
    for many years ive used a Lyman orange turret, t-mag I guess they call it. but then when I got the hornady right after they changed it from the projector press, it was like night and day and the sunshine was coming in. some how I got to reloading right at about 50 different calibers and I never could have afforded the Dillion caliber change kits for all of them. but the Dillions are excellent presses and everyone who has one says its the best thing since sliced bread.
    You don’t need caliber conversion kits for each caliber.

After I had about 5 caliber conversion kits I just started buying separate shellplates and powder funnels. There are only 5 different buttons, and I have those. Now I could load about 50-60 or so calibers with the 7-8 plates and 10 or so funnels I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

A friend had a Hornady Ammo Plant. When he used my Dillons he was blown away by the ease of operation and reliability of my presses.

I would not give up my single stage presses in lieu of progressives. There’s plenty that progressives either won’t do or won’t do easily. If I’m not loading at least 100 rounds I use a single stage press. All of my hunting, competition rifle and heavy handgun ammunition is loaded on single stage presses. When I got the 550 in 1991 I was loading 500-1500/month for myself and with a friend. When I started shooting in matches the volume went to 2500+ per month and I got a 650XL with a case feeder.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Will I be able use my Hornady dies with the Dillion or will I have to Dillion dies ?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    Will I be able use my Hornady dies with the Dillion or will I have to Dillion dies ?
    The only Dillon that does not use standard dies is the Square Deal.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

SDB is for pistol cartridges only--just in case no one mentioned it
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    SDB is for pistol cartridges only--just in case no one mentioned it
    I appreciate the heads up. I went to Dillion's website and read up on them. Looking at the XL 750. Does Dillion every run a promotion on their presses?

Boolit Buddy
    Many progressive press designs offer quick and easy caliber change overs.
    - Then why do people have more than one press for different primer sizes ?
    - Caliber range overs are quick if you have a powder measure set up for every caliber with some powder measure designs.

A progressive press is " best enjoyed " doing many thousands of rounds between caliber changes. There is also cleaning of " primer funk " & powder from the press to keep it going.

Look closely at how the press works and how your hands work. Some like one hand on the lever and one for sitting bulles. They all operate similarly but different.