MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 30 Super Carry Cartridge

Boolit Buddy
    This cartridge isn't really new. It's just slightly hotter 7.65 French long. To my mind, it is to 9mm as .40 is to .45. In short, it's kinda pointless. It gives you a couple more rounds in the magazine at the cost of effectiveness and higher pressures.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The .327 had the misfortune of being introduced right before a massive election-induced ammo and components panic which has returned several times. Gun and ammo makers are always going to produce what is guaranteed to sell, and 9mm and 5.56 are king and queen. They aren't going to devote much if any capacity to guns and cartridges with at best modest popularity when demand for the latter two is red hot. In fact, even the gold standard hunting rounds (.30'06, .30-30, .243 etc.) have largely yielded as well.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    ...now going on two months...has anyone seen any ammo yet?
    Seeing fuller - not full - shelves here in Alaska. And I could almost always find 10MM. The oddballs may be your friend in an ammo shortage.
    Don't want no one to git hurt, but if you're gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    The .327 had the misfortune of being introduced right before a massive election-induced ammo and components panic which has returned several times. Gun and ammo makers are always going to produce what is guaranteed to sell, and 9mm and 5.56 are king and queen. They aren't going to devote much if any capacity to guns and cartridges with at best modest popularity when demand for the latter two is red hot. In fact, even the gold standard hunting rounds (.30'06, .30-30, .243 etc.) have largely yielded as well.
    That's true, and I think it only speaks to how well the cartridge really did. It was never going to replace the 357, but it sure seems to have taken hold in the marketplace and should be with us for many decades. This time around, when 357 magnums are hard to come by, 327's are on the shelf. Today at the store I had a choice of a Federal hydrashok, Speer gold dot, Federal AE, and Federal hammerdown. They are selling too, so I'm not the only one. Plus there was both a few boxes of Federal 32 H&R and Winchester 32 ACP. By comparison, I did not see a single choice of 357 magnum, and only a few boxes of 38 special +p. I think people are going to take notice of this, which is why I think it is still dumb they didn't make this 30 SC one of the 32 family. The best they can do now is offer a convertible 30sc/327 single seven or blackhawk.

It's a silly round. I've a 9mm shield EZ. Nice pistol, fairly small and the slide really is easier to rack than any of my other 9mm guns, small like the PPQ, or micro like my kimber micro 9, which is really a bear to operate.
    But I can get an 8 round mag for the kimber and the ez only has 8. So both have 9 rounds fully loaded. 2 more is only 10. And ballistics are the same. If I really want to carry more than 9 rounds, it is one more magazine, or just the PPQ with 18 rounds with no need in extra mag, or 35 if I really want to load up.... that would take 3 spare and a full gun to match with the 30 dumb....

I was look at one of the keltec fun guns in 5.7x39.... till I was looking for ammo. None to find anywhere. 30sc will be that same thing in a couple of years ...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

It probably wont be particularly successful but I'm not rooting for it to fail, the concept isnt bad because it plays off the low recoil/high capacity virtues that has made the 9mm so popular. It gives more capacity than 9mm and from what Ive seen so far, similar recoil. Is it needed? Probably not but if we got real serious there's a lot of options out there that aren't necessary either, but that would get boring wouldn't it? Maybe it'll lead to a Blackhawk or Single Seven 327 Mag/30 SC convertible one day.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger45Bisley View Post
    It probably wont be particularly successful but I'm not rooting for it to fail, the concept isnt bad because it plays off the low recoil/high capacity virtues that has made the 9mm so popular. It gives more capacity than 9mm and from what Ive seen so far, similar recoil. Is it needed? Probably not but if we got real serious there's a lot of options out there that aren't necessary either, but that would get boring wouldn't it? Maybe it'll lead to a Blackhawk or Single Seven 327 Mag/30 SC convertible one day.
    So, I would go so far as to say that, all things being equal, I would rather have 30SC than 9mm. I would prefer less recoil and I want to carry a little gun without giving up capacity. You can fit a 9mm in a little tiny gun, but they aren't any fun to shoot or practice with.

Of course, I am now a revolver convert and won't be buying any semis except 22LR...
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.