MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Hornaday 9mm xtp

Boolit Master

Hornaday 9mm xtp

Hi guys,
    Find myself in a little bit of a quandary. My son gave me a boxer Hornaday 9 mm 124 grain XTP bullets. Funny I can’t remember the last time I load it up jacketed bullets for my 9 mm. Anyway I’m getting some rather inconsistent low data out of my Lyman and Lee manuals. I was wondering if anybody with a Hornady manual might be able to take a picture of the data for those bullets and send me a copy. Like I said 9 mm 124 grn xtp.
    Thanks
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Opps just realized I posted this under shot loads for pistol. Sorry about that. Mods could you please move to the appropriate forum.
    thank you

I've been loading those bullets for years - what powders are you using?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    I've been loading those bullets for years - what powders are you using?
    That’s part of the issue. I generally use win 231 or unique. I’m kinda Curious as to why there’s such a big discrepancy between the Lyman 50th and say the Lee second addition. Now the Lyman 50th doesn’t specifically call out 124 grain xtp bullets, but list 124 jhp(same same) Lee does. I’ll use unique for this example because both books list this powder as a possible. Lyman- starting grn 4.0 Max 4.5. However the Lee manual lists starting grns at 5.1 Max 5.8. That’s a big difference! I’ve always found the Lee manuals to be a conglomerate of information from various powder companies and as the air on the side of “I don’t wanna get sued” generally post lighter/safer loads. I’ve also looked in Various powder company manuals. All the ones I have show conflicting data. That’s why I asked if anyone could show me the Hornaday data. I’d like to see what they list.

Boolit Master
    I tried, can’t take a pic with my ipad and post it. Sometimes I can figure it out, mostly I can’t.

FWIW, Unique starts at 4.0gr and max at 5.0gr, says that should get you 1,100fps in a 4” barrel. Hornady 9th ed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I tried, can’t take a pic with my ipad and post it. Sometimes I can figure it out, mostly I can’t.

FWIW, Unique starts at 4.0gr and max at 5.0gr, says that should get you 1,100fps in a 4” barrel. Hornady 9th ed.
    That’s more like what I expected. Thanks

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8692ABC6-D8DA-4D2F-972D-B34C8F9CCBF7.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	297287

Maybe 73rd time is a charm?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8692ABC6-D8DA-4D2F-972D-B34C8F9CCBF7.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	297287

Maybe 73rd time is a charm?
    Thank you more in line what I was thinking. Big difference from what Lee listed. Lee’s starting load is higher than Hornadays Max!

Boolit Grand Master
    Due to the small case 9mm is touchy wrt seating depth but hard to believe that is the issue here with such a wide variation. Interesting.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Due to the small case 9mm is touchy wrt seating depth but hard to believe that is the issue here with such a wide variation. Interesting.
    Yes very strange, As I said I’ve always considered the data from Lee to be very generic. The only thing I can think of is that they’re using the term “xtp” as something other than Hornaday xtp. Maybe a different composition bullet. Or a very bad typo. I mean 5.8 grains of unique in a 9 mm case might even be a compressed load! I could see a novice reloader get himself in a lot of trouble. I might just have to give Lee a call tomorrow. The last time I talk to them about low data that’s what I was told is they get the data from the powder company. I did look in a 2017 Aliant manual. The closest thing they have listed is a Speer 124 grain GDHP. And that lists a max charge of 5.8.

Boolit Buddy
    I seen old manuals that listed seating depth into case, wish they still did that or specified how long the bullet is.
    I went thur the same thing with 9mm as you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam20 View Post
    I seen old manuals that listed seating depth into case, wish they still did that or specified how long the bullet is.
    I went thur the same thing with 9mm as you.
    COL can definitely be a problem with some firearms. Although I’ve never ran into it I’ve certainly heard of enough people who will load a round using the listed COL only to not chamber in specific firearms. Fortunately my Ruger seem to eat whatever I feed them. Like I said my OP it’s been a long time since I loaded jacketed bullets. I pretty much use my own cast