RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe to load .452 SWC 45 ACP coated lead bullets in a Henry 45 LC rifle

Boolit Mold

Is it safe to load .452 SWC 45 ACP coated lead bullets in a Henry 45 LC rifle

I just got a nice deal on a Henry in 45 LC.

I haven't loaded 45 LC before and the only cast coated 45 caliber bullets I have are .452 ACP SWC bullets (185 & 200 gr).

Chey cast 200 gr SWC and Brasos 185 gr SWC both coated

are these safe to load in this lever rifle?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45 185 gr swc.jpg   45 200 swc.jpg  
    Last edited by linko; 02-27-2022 at 09:52 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Is it safe to load .452 SWC 45 ACP coated lead bullets in a Henry 45 LC rifle

I don’t load for 45 colt but I believe it requires a roll crimp into the bullet cannelure / crimp grove … the bullets you are showing do not have a defined area for a roll crimp, those are tapered crimped around the driving band (top band) of the bullet / 45acp

Load up a couple dummys and see if they feed. I don’t know how finicky a henry 45colt is. If they feed I don’t know why you couldn’t use them. But my marlins like heavier bullets.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 02-27-2022 at 07:46 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I will look into crimp requirements and also try a few dummy rounds

Boolit Master
    You can roll into or above the grease grove. Being flat nose they should be safe as long as they feed.

Boolit Master
    The recoil from a .45 Colt is substantial enough to UNSEAT a bullit that does not have a crimp groove. I have experienced it myself in a revolver when I missed crimping a few rounds. The bullet unseated and locked up the cylinder.

Boolit Grand Master

For lever action rifles where you want to load the magazine tube full of ammo , you will have the pressure of the magazine spring pressing hard on the stack of rounds , boolit to base/primer .
    You want a flat point , which you have ...but you also want a roll crimp to keep the boolits from being forced / pushed down into tha case creating a dangerous situation . Your boolits are for semi-auto pistol which have a taper crimp and NO Roll Crimp Groove . A good taper crimp may hold ...but you run the risk of the taper crimp being overcome by the force of the magazine spring and repeated recoil from every shot fired and the bullet being shoved back into the case on top of the powder ...if fired a round will be over pressure and not a fun experience .
    Now you could single load and shoot rounds at the range - single shot , or load one round in the chamber and one in the magazine for a two shot ...that would be safe .
    Most of the time at the range with my Win. model 94 30-30 and cast boolit loads I load them single shot , 1 at a time and don't bother filling the magazine with loaded rounds .

Would be best , if you want a magazine full , to get a mould/boolits with a flat point and crimping groove ... But single loading is also an option since you have the boolits on/in hand !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Vendor Sponsor

Honestly? Almost no one loads boolits that light for this caliber. Save what you have in the pics for 45 ACP, get some 255gr boolits for the Henry.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

^^^^ What DougGuy said.^^^^
    But!!! Also, we must compare what has been stated about the crimp groove, and the old original 45 Colt bullet. There is no crimp groove. There may have been a cannalure in the original cases to stop the bullet from being pushed down in the case from recoil. I have that mould, and have not had any issues with the slugs being pushed down into the modern day cases. I have also loaded 45 Colt rounds with the 45 acp cast 230 grain ball equivalent with no issues. It can be done, but the 200 grain swc is definitely gonna be short loaded in the 45 Colt case.
    Last edited by littlejack; 02-27-2022 at 03:24 PM.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

I’d try loading them using the lube groove for a crimp groove. As long as your throat permits it, it would work fine I’d think. I’d also consider using a lee collet crimp die on the side of the top driving band, it will displace metal and make a crimp, but will provide resistance to bullet setback.

Personally I’d try it if things are tight it for whatever reason you need to use what you got.

The dia. is right, but you'll sure want a good roll crimp on them if it'll work.

I'd look at this as the perfect opportunity for why I 'needed' to buy a proper 250-ish grain mold.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Honestly? Almost no one loads boolits that light for this caliber. Save what you have in the pics for 45 ACP, get some 255gr boolits for the Henry.
    200 grain bullets in .45 Colt is pretty much standard for cowboy action shooting. That is what ALL of us use.

Boolit Master

The 200 grain rnfp CAS bullets that I've acquired through trades, have a crimp groove, unlike the 200 grain swc which does not. The 45 200 grain swc was designed for a completely different application.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-27-2022 at 11:32 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by dougguy View Post
    honestly? Almost no one loads boolits that light for this caliber. Save what you have in the pics for 45 acp, get some 255gr boolits for the henry.
    x3

finem respice ~ memento mori

Roll crimp into the 'lube" groove. No problem at all.
    Hodgdon has plenty of loading data -- especially for the 200gr
    If if the SWC/shorter OAL cycles, you're fine.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    ^^^^ What DougGuy said.^^^^
    But!!! Also, we must compare what has been stated about the crimp groove, and the old original 45 Colt bullet. There is no crimp groove. There may have been a cannalure in the original cases to stop the bullet from being pushed down in the case from recoil. I have that mould, and have not had any issues with the slugs being pushed down into the modern day cases. I have also loaded 45 Colt rounds with the 45 acp cast 230 grain ball equivalent with no issues. It can be done, but the 200 grain swc is definitely gonna be short loaded in the 45 Colt case.
    The original boolit was made with no crimp groove because it was loaded over a full case of BP. The black powder held the bullet from sliding back. Same thing with the original 44-40 boolit - no crimp groove.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Even w/o a crimp (or lube) groove on a traditional BP bullet design,
    one can do a 3/4-turn roll crimp of the mouth right into the lead itself.
    (Separate crimp op'n from seating)

So easy, even a Caveman....
    (Not-to-worry)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    Even w/o a crimp (or lube) groove on a traditional BP bullet design,
    one can do a 3/4-turn roll crimp of the mouth right into the lead itself.
    I've been following this thread with interest. Going to be loading light for some fun shooting in a T/C.

Had the same thought, can easily create a crimp groove into the lead while crimping the case. It shouldn't need a big crimp as these are light loads. Just enough to hold the boolit in place.

45_Colt

A short OAL will not be your problem (actually, SAAMI's 1.6" is pretty short)

Here's what appears to be the OP's 200gr H&G-68 copy, loaded as short
    as it will go and still crimp into some portion of the cleaning band.

1.615"

(Normally I'd crimp mid-band as my Marlin`94 will feed as long as 1.658")