Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
MCD ProductsReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2

Thread: Neck size or full length size??

Boolit Bub

Neck size or full length size??

Hello,

I have never reloaded for a lever action rifle.

Will be reloading for a Marlin 336A .32 Special and a 36 in .30-30.

If I use once fired brass that was not fired in my gun is it necessary to full length re-size or will neck sizing do it??

Thanks,

rudyc

Full length size for levers.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    I only neck size my 44-40īs and they shoot just fine. The load is a 220 boolit with either 8 or 9 grains Unique.
    Me I would try to neck size a fired case and see if it chambers again without any undue lever force.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Full length size those foreign cases the first time. You can neck size after that. I run them in lots when I do this. After a specific neck sized lot has been fired, I will neck size a single round and try it in the chamber to check it. It usually takes a few firings, but eventually they will get a little too big near the base to chamber easily. When this happens, FL size the whole lot and start again.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use what I call "partial full length" resizing in ALL my rifles. Find a fired case that won't chamber in your rifle, then with the sizing die backed of one full turn from touching the shell holder, size the case. Try to chamber that case, and if it won't fully chamber, screw the sizing die in 1/8 to 1/4 turn and repeat the procedure. Once you find the proper setting that will allow the case to chamber, you have the setting for your rifle. Using this method, you brass should last many firings.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    I full length size all brass for lever actions and Semi autos the first loading. Once I have fired a round in the rifle I intend to use it in, I measure the distance between the case head and the beginning of the neck. I then set my full length die to resize the shell so as to move the shoulder back no more than .001 inch. This gives you good fast feeding and maximum case life. In fact I also anneal the case necks every fourth loading. I have some 30-30 brass that has lasted over 30 loadings and still going strong.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NickSS View Post
    I full length size all brass for lever actions and Semi autos the first loading. Once I have fired a round in the rifle I intend to use it in, I measure the distance between the case head and the beginning of the neck. I then set my full length die to resize the shell so as to move the shoulder back no more than .001 inch. This gives you good fast feeding and maximum case life. In fact I also anneal the case necks every fourth loading. I have some 30-30 brass that has lasted over 30 loadings and still going strong.
    That about sums it up.

Boolit Master

+1 for the reply by 454PB

+2 for 454PB's reply. I've been neck sizing .30-30 brass for many years with great results.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian