Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would they have a clue?

Anyone I have given the tour to either has their eyes glaze over or asks one way or another for me to give them some "leadheads" to plink with.

Back when I was gullible and wanted to spread the gospel of cast boolits I did give some ammo away. I requested that I get my brass back and a report on how they shot. Always the same result. "I couldn't find your brass." How did they shoot? Deer in the headlights lol. "Uhhhh they shot pretty good." Translation: I blasted away since it was free and didn't try to look for your brass.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Most of my friends are either hunting buddies or shooting buddies, or both. So they are at least a little familiar with what my stuff is. My guns are in my will and my Boys know. I have added a note advising what my lead and brass stash are worth so they won't be thrown out or sold for scrap and my wishes that another caster or reloader gets a chance at them. One of my Sons is a reloaded but doesn't cast. Both are hunters and the Grandsons have shown an interest in hunting as well.

Boolit Master
    quite a few shooters these days primarily care about pulling the trigger as fast as they can, and that's it, put ammo in mag, put mag in gun, pull trigger as fast as possible. what else is there?
    I went and got 500 pcs 308 brass and 500 good quality bullets because a friend said he could not find ammo and would like to learn to reload, have not heard from him in about a year.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    quite a few shooters these days primarily care about pulling the trigger as fast as they can, and that's it, put ammo in mag, put mag in gun, pull trigger as fast as possible. what else is there?
    I went and got 500 pcs 308 brass and 500 good quality bullets because a friend said he could not find ammo and would like to learn to reload, have not heard from him in about a year.
    Neighbor bought a new guy said he wanted to coyote hunt take out the preditors around our neck of the woods. Claimed he could not find ammo. I said what did you buy. Mini 14. I told him I could load up some for him if he wanted. First, he said he wanted good hunting ammo not reloaded stuff. I let it go since that is just how he is. A week late he asked what I could load. I made him 20 nice soft points and brought them to him. Helped him sight in his 5000 dollar scope. Left him with 15 bullets. He wanted to buy 100 more off me. Told him to get the stuff and he could swing over, and we would load them. Saw him last week. He traded for the fasted flattest shooting gun in the world. 22-250. Now he wants to know if I can sell him 100 rounds for 25 bucks. Shop owner told him ammo is cheap for this gun. Im not in favor of lying but I did. Oh I cannot load that. Sorry. Now he owns a gun with no ammo.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemikeinct View Post
    Ah Yep, We are a dying breed.
    I used to think that until I tried to buy any dies, molds, brass, primers, powder, even presses this year.
    Now, I'm not so sure.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy

SEFL - land of sunshine, liquid and otherwise...
    Several of my shooting buddies reload. At least 6 or 7 of them. A couple of friends/acquaintances cast as well. I was probably instrumental in getting a few to load. And now another buddy is thinking of starting to reload.

On the topic of what happens to the stuff after you pass. I recently helped my buddy's widow take care of his gun collection (30+ pieces) and he left all the reloading equipment and supplies to me. Another friend wanted the press, so I gave the widow a price for it and he bought it. I've shared some of the powder, primers and bullets with another buddy. All the guns sold for fair prices and she was satisfied with the process.

I too have had folks ask me to load something for them, as it's so "cheap" for me. I've told them, yes, the components are cheap, but my time isn't. If you buy components, come over to my house, I'll teach you how and you can load your own. Not many have taken me up on it.

The ones that have, most went on to buy a press, dies and get started.
    - Have a good day and a better tomorrow...

Boolit Master
    Eevn guys who reload often dont seem to understand much...while back ,was next to guy shooting 22/250 reloads ,overloads by the look of the partial black rings on the cases......anyway,he finally gets a case separation...he asks me for my rod......its a 30 cal rod,wont fit your gun....just want to borrow it ,not gonna steal it.....I say again wont fit your gun...he goes on and on,so I hand him my old PH rod.....he sticks it in the muzzle ,thread goes in a bit ....OK wont fit .........next time he singles me out and says the rod has damaged his gun......he took it to a gunsmith ,and G/s says the muzzle is damaged by rod thread and its my fault.

Boolit Grand Master

Just the opposite for me. I have been competitively shooting since 1970. All my close friends are competitive shooter, serious hunter and/or reloaders. The hunting/shooting/reloading is the basis for the friendship. Through the years I lost count of how many people I have taught to reload but I know it's well over 50. I do have a couple of friends that are just casual hunters and they do not reload. A couple are not gun guys but they are very serious archers as am I.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    One said to me ."there is all sorts of sand and junk in those lead bullets,Id never shoot one in my guns"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Eevn guys who reload often dont seem to understand much...while back ,was next to guy shooting 22/250 reloads ,overloads by the look of the partial black rings on the cases......anyway,he finally gets a case separation...he asks me for my rod......its a 30 cal rod,wont fit your gun....just want to borrow it ,not gonna steal it.....I say again wont fit your gun...he goes on and on,so I hand him my old PH rod.....he sticks it in the muzzle ,thread goes in a bit ....OK wont fit .........next time he singles me out and says the rod has damaged his gun......he took it to a gunsmith ,and G/s says the muzzle is damaged by rod thread and its my fault.
    "No good deed goes unpunished." When I first met my lovely lady, she used to tell me I was wrong. Now when I get screwed over for doing a good thing, she says it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Just the opposite for me. I have been competitively shooting since 1970. All my close friends are competitive shooter, serious hunter and/or reloaders. The hunting/shooting/reloading is the basis for the friendship. Through the years I lost count of how many people I have taught to reload but I know it's well over 50. I do have a couple of friends that are just casual hunters and they do not reload. A couple are not gun guys but they are very serious archers as am I.
    M-Tecs you are blessed. I attempted to start all forms of shooting sports at some local clubs. OMG they didnt want people coming around. Keep it the private club for sighting in your rifle before hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    One said to me ."there is all sorts of sand and junk in those lead bullets,Id never shoot one in my guns"
    Got to love it. I have been told by so called no training range officers that, It is not safe shooting that junk you make. You have to use jacketed bullets in these guns. Your going to hurt yourself. You cannot just load anything in a bullet like you can a shotgun.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have been shooting Bullseye shine about 2004. All the people in our group reload. No one but me cast and some of the guys look at me like I have a third eye in the middle of my forehead.
    All of these guys shoot cast or swaged from factory made bullets. There was only one or 2 that asked me about casting my own.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    I belonged to a fireworks forum for a time, They had a rescue plan where other members would help the clueless. Might be something to consider here.
    I'm in. We need a forum and a moderator.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Reading many of the posts here,, made me think; "You guys need to find new friends!"

USPSA competition,, we shoot it at my range. Almost every shooter is a handloader. And even the new competitors,, want to learn how to make their own ammo.
    Casting,, many of them also cast,, AND PC their bullets.

Hunters,, get with REAL hunters. You know,, the guys who actually PRACTICE shooting and burn ammo. Especially handgun hunters. They too most often handload,, & many cast.

And every time you run into another shooter who's not a handloader or caster,,, ask them what they've been doing for ammo during the shortages? Politely explain how handloading, casting, PCing etc has allowed you to continue to enjoy the shooting activities NORMALLY during this crunch.

I'm like a few others above. I know several handloaders, casters & serious shooters.

Boolit Grand Master

I started reloading in 1967 while in High School . Two of my best friends enjoyed shooting and hunting . In 1970 I bought a 357 magnum BH , one friend got a 44 magnum SBH and the other a 357 magnum . They quickly wanted to learn how to make cheap ammo so I taught them .
    I'm still heavily into casting , reloading and shooting but they moved on to Tennis and Pickle Ball and Golf and boring stuff like that .
    I knew one othe reloader, a business associate , ... That's three reloaders I've known in 55 years !
    I know there are other reloaders ...but they sure keep themselves hidden from me ... maybe it's my deodorant ... I shower once a week needed or not !
    I was elated to find reloading forums on the computer ...I could talk to other reloaders
    I'm fairly computer stupid but I persist because I enjoy talking about the subject and giving help .

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 02-14-2022 at 02:42 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Your significant other most likely don't have a clue what to do with your (STUFF) Just makes sense to have a game plan. I would like to see my lead pile and lino and tin go to someone who can use it. Never mind the presses and all the tools.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Reading many of the posts here,, made me think; "You guys need to find new friends!"
    Starting to think you are correct on that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I was elated to find reloading forums on the computer ...I could talk to other reloaders
    I'm fairly computer stupid but I persist because I enjoy talking about the subject and giving help .

Gary
    Thanks for sharing. I persist for the same reason.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post

USPSA competition,, we shoot it at my range. Almost every shooter is a handloader. And even the new competitors,, want to learn how to make their own ammo.
    Casting,, many of them also cast,, AND PC their bullets.

Hunters,, get with REAL hunters. You know,, the guys who actually PRACTICE shooting and burn ammo. Especially handgun hunters. They too most often handload,, & many cast.

And every time you run into another shooter who's not a handloader or caster,,, ask them what they've been doing for ammo during the shortages? Politely explain how handloading, casting, PCing etc has allowed you to continue to enjoy the shooting activities NORMALLY during this crunch.

I'm like a few others above. I know several handloaders, casters & serious shooters.
    I think it really comes down to WHERE you meet your future friends. Almost all my close friends were met at a shooting or hunting event so they are shooters or hunters. Most are or were active competitive shooters so they are also reloaders. For the work related friends it started with the mutual interest in shooting.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer