Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: SAECO 24 furnace

Boolit Mold

SAECO 24 furnace

Morning all,

I was going through some of my late father's reloading stuff here the other day, and to my surprise, I found an old Saeco 24 furnace disassembled in its original albeit worn box.

I'm looking to get into casting here within the next couple of months, so I've got a few questions here. It's missing any documentation, and the cord is long gone, but everything else looks to be present.

Anyone have any paperwork on this unit they'd be willing to scan and send to me? Also, is there anything I should be aware of with this particular unit? I've heard excellent things about SAECO equipment, and look forward to working with this one.

Lastly, did they use anything special for a power cord? It looks to be a larger variety similar to the ones used for old kitchen appliances, with the two rounded pins...

Thanks in advance!!

Tom

Boolit Master

.-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- . / - --- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. ..- --

Couldn't help myself. Unfortunately I have no experience with your Saeco furnace or Morse Code for that matter...LOL
    Last edited by oley55; 02-07-2022 at 11:46 AM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Mold

Hi there! No worries at all, I knew what you were saying, appreciate the welcome! Glad to be here!

- .... .- -. -.- -.-- --- ..- !

Master Tool & Die Maker

Have you tried contacting Redding? They probably have the information that your looking for.
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Mold
    I have not, did Redding purchase SAECO?

Boolit Master
    The SAECO 24 that had used a standard appliance cord, just make sure the one you get is rated for the wattage of the furnace. Hopefully someone will check in with the wattage, but IIRC it was 800 watts. The replacement cord were available in several lengths.

Boolit Mold
    Ok, thanks for that! I'll definitely check the local Goodwill, they have a bunch of cords, might find the one I need! Thanks!!

Boolit Buddy

The Saeco 24 and Lyman 61 Mold Master are the same pot. I strongly recommend you bypass the vintage "plug" setup as they really weren't designed for the current draw. Mine literally fell apart in my hand following my last casting session.

I bought a ceramic kiln power cord for a replacement and will wire direct to the element since I'm using a PID controller and don't need the thermostat.

During my search for info I found a picture of the manual listed as Lyman Model 51 but it shows the 61...

http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Manu...Model%2051.jpg

Boolit Mold
    Hi there,

Many thanks for the information and the paperwork! After looking it over, hardwiring in a cord looks like it would be a good way to go about it..

Appreciate all the help guys!
    Tom

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one of the Lyman 61's with the plug in type cord and haven't had any trouble with the plug, but I would just go to the hardware store and buy a new one instead of a used one and it should last a long time. Time and temp does take a toll on the cords and you just don't know how old the one is at the thrift store

Boolit Master

Had a Lyman with the detach cord. Handy for storage but. Go out to cast and plug in pot to preheat. Listen for the tink, tink, tink to know it's running. Come back later and pot is still cold. Back to town for new cord. Was thinking of hard wiring but ended up buying an RCBS 22 lb instead GW

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by signalcorpsoperator View Post
    Ok, thanks for that! I'll definitely check the local Goodwill, they have a bunch of cords, might find the one I need! Thanks!!
    You're welcome.