Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45ACP small primer brass

45ACP small primer brass

Whats up with these cases? I shot advanced CCW class at the local police dept and we were using no lead rounds, at least that is what the officer told me. I didn't get a chance to look at the original box, the rounds were bulk boxed that we were loading from. Defiantly had a small primer in them. I brought a couple home and will look at the headstamp tonight after work. Is anyone reloading these? I can see all heck breaking loose if I get some of these mixed in on my Dillon 650. They are selling the cases to the local scrap yard and I was going to check on getting some until I ran across this. Lots of good 9mm and 40 though.

Boolit Grand Master

I read an article in a very old American Rifleman that said the original 45acp cases had a small primer.
    Having both size cases would make it a pain using a progressive.

I'd bet that the case head has Win NT or Win Clean on the box. From what I'm told they're Non Toxic for indoor shooting. Will thay make you scratch your head and ask yourself ***??? when loading on a progressive???? You bet.....

That sounds like what they are. Like you say, why did they use small primers on this. Did they not want to make tooling for large primers for this clean product. That would be the only reason, but then make a special brass?

Boolit Master

Hanson made 45s with a small primer pocket in the 80s that caused problems also. It is no problem if you know you have them and keem them segregated.

Boolit Bub
    Small primer 45ACP cases can be easily formed to 400 CorBon. I've had good luck resizing the Win NT cases to 400 CorBon.

I'd jump all over them if I were you.

Today it may be no small rifle primers, tomorrow it may be no large pistol. I'd just look at it as flexibility. Just keep them seperated.

Boolit Man
    Actually I ran across these cases recently too. The NT on the case headstamp means Non-Toxic. Something being used on the lead free rounds now. At Least that is what I was told when I was at a local indoor range. But being the second person to say the same thing on this post It seems very probable.
    TC66

I will keep my GUNS and MONEY and you can keep the "CHANGE"!!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty W View Post
    I'd bet that the case head has Win NT or Win Clean on the box. From what I'm told they're Non Toxic for indoor shooting. Will thay make you scratch your head and ask yourself ***??? when loading on a progressive???? You bet.....
    Yep...

I've haven't saw any SP recently thank goodness but I did see them often enough a couple years ago. I couldn't toss them fast enough. Yes, you might say that they're NOT Progressive Press friendly.
    Sprue ™

Yes, they are Win NT. Clean as a whistle inside and out after picking them up. Primer pocket looks crimped also.

Boolit Bub
    nt's are not crimped ... i use them all the time . when i pick up brass and find them i set them off to the side and when im working up a load i use them.. shoot them out the back door and dont care if i pick them back up . or if someone wants to try some of my reloads i give them some of the nt's if they want the brass they can have it ...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mr mom View Post
    nt's are not crimped ... i use them all the time . when i pick up brass and find them i set them off to the side and when im working up a load i use them.. shoot them out the back door and dont care if i pick them back up . or if someone wants to try some of my reloads i give them some of the nt's if they want the brass they can have it ...
    Working up a load with a totally different primer seems like a bad idea to me....

Just my two cents worth. Be careful; after all, there are old reloaders and bold reloaders, but few old&bold reloaders.
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

Boolit Master

+1 on Win NT....

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty W View Post

I found a small handful of them in rounds I scrounged from a range. Unless I find a lot more, I'll probably just crap can them so they don't gum up the works.
    I have the same issue with Fiocchi .455 Webley ammo: They use SP instead of LP like the Hornadies use.
    The Webleys are so precious (and I have a significant quantity) that I save, segregate, and load them later. Then I just have to change the Dillon 550 to LP when I use the Hornady brass.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Boolit Master

.45 ACP Win NT

DDEATON: Like you, some .45 ACP brass with small pistol primer showed up among my brass after a shooting session when I picked them up. At first, I couldn't figure out what looked odd ... then it finally dawned on me (a mite slow). These cases have small pistol primers and I wondered why. Still don't know for sure but as indicated by some of the other posts, the NT means non-toxic. Like some of the other posters, I segregated them but I do that with all my empties after cleaning. I separate them by headstamp as I clean the primer pockets and make sure no media blocks the flash hole. Still haven't used any of them but I have enough of them not to toss them aside. 'Tuck

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    Hanson made 45s with a small primer pocket in the 80s that caused problems also. It is no problem if you know you have them and keem them segregated.
    Do you mean the Hansen Cartridge Company? If so I'll have to ask Mr. Hansen about that!

Boolit Buddy
    I wonder if it's the difference in the priming compound that led Winchester to use the small primer size. The NT rounds do not use lead styphnate or lead azide in their primers, and Winchester hasn't released what they are using in these lead-free primers. I wonder if it is simply the new primer compound they are using is more powerful and they need to use a lot less of it - thus small primers instead of large so they can use a thick coating on the inside of the primer cups without having to use so much in total that the primer pocket gets expanded.

Boolit Master

I've shot both WW and FC NT brass with SP pockets.

When I was experimenting with heavy bullet loads in a Ruger convertible, I found that I could get higher velocities with less pressure signs using these as opposed to the cases loaded with LP primers.

If you shoot a Blackhawk convertible in .45 ACP, this brass may be worth holding on to./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Mold
    I have discovered that the international cartridge company is using a small pistol primer in a frangible lead free round but I want to reload it with bullseye behind a 230 gr lead ball bullet - does anyone have or know what the variation in loading data would be using the small pistol primers. I have over 1,000 of these that are yet to be shot the first time and would like to be able to reload them even if I have to leave the reloaded brass on the range!!!

Boolit Master

.45 ACP small primer brass

Learner: I have some of these cases (hardly any compared to you!) and plan on using them if for no other reason than to load and shoot them and get rid of them.

I plan on starting with a regular (non mag) small pistol primer and a handbook recommended starting minimum load for my cast bullets. I just hope they don't turn out to produce a really accurate load and I'll have to pick up the brass and start over and begin looking for more that that NT brass! 'Tuck

I'm actually looking to get some of that small primer .45acp brass since I have a good supply of small pistol primers & not so many large pistol primers. If anybody is looking for a place to get rid of them, please give me a shout.

Thanks,
    Jim
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus