MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners

Thread: SR 4756 powder?

Boolit Bub

SR 4756 powder?

I was given a tub of SR4756 powder and was wondering if I could use it in a .30 Carbine load with plated bullets under 1600fps. Is this possible?

Boolit Master
    My Lyman cast bullet handbook lists 4756 under the rifle loads as follows:

Lyman .311359/113 grains: 5.5 grains for 1298 starting load and 6.5 grains for 1463 max load.

Lyman .311576/120 grains: 5.1 grains for 1232 starting load and 6.1 grains for 1407 max load.

Lyman .311410/130 grains: 5.0 grains for 1180 starting load and 6.9 grains for 1371 max load.

This should give you a starting point as you didn't list your boolit weight. I have used 4756 in the carbine for Blackhawk loads.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    FWIW it won't cycle and M1 carbine.

I have used it with different carbine load data and with several different carbines -- none of the loads would cycle the action ..... went up to the max load data and still would not cycle the acitons ...

SR4756 is my favorite for 44 Special try 7- 7.5 gr with a Keith SWC of 255 grains. Or find someone who shoots handgunds and swap for a suitable carbine powder.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    It is very good as a reduced rifle powder too; about 14 gr under anything up to about a 200 gr bullet in an 06 class case does about like Red Dot and Unique for me.

Le Loup Solitaire

Some uses for 4756

As pointed out above 7.0- 7.5 grains 4756 works well in the 44 special. Nine grains of it is for me a favorite loading in the 44 mag with a 250 grain Keith type bullet in the S&W M29. Good accuracy and doesn't kick much. good for target.
    I also use it in the 9mm usually in my Luger. I load 4.7 grains behind a 155-120 gr bullet and get good accuracy at 25 meters. It fills most of the 9mm case which does eliminate the possibility of a double charge. Pressure is lower than with any of the faster powders that also work well in the 9 mm. It can also work in the 38 special; Dupont used to list loadings for it in their Handloaders Guide. LLS