Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a progressive press?

Boolit Master

Do I need a progressive press?

I am using a Rockchucker that I bought new in about 1972. Along the way I acquired a Lyman Spar-T that I use as a backup. While sizing,lubing, and placing gas check with a Lyman 450 today I realized that I don't create ready to load boolits real fast. If I can't make boolits fast, then why do I need to progressive press to push them into cases real fast? This realization is a major disappointment for some one who is well past retirement age (probably will stop working in 3-6 months) and looking forward to vast quantities of ammo to shoot at paper,tin cans and rocks with an occasional small to medium mammal thrown into the mix. I have to hunt with non-toxic, i.e. expensive projectiles in California. Shoot jackets in 9mm, but in 38/357, 44, 45 ACP and Colt it is mostly cast. Fairly diverse collection of 30 cal+/- rifles are lots of fun to shoot with boolits from 1200-1900 fps. Only have 1 4C mold. I just am not equipted to rapidly fill all my empty cases. Nor can I see a reason to. This is of some serious disappointment for someone who had his heart set on a Dillion 650 or at least a Hornaday LnL. If anyone can come up with a reason why I should get a progressive press other than sheer self-indulgence please let me know.

Boolit Grand Master

Duckiller;
    You pose a "loaded" question. I have two Dillon 550B's. Now, the second Dillon, no doubt, is a bit of affectation. However, I am a rather impatient type (when there is another answer) and hated the 15 minutes or so to change from small to large primers, etc. So, my solution was to get another Dillon 550B and have one set for large and one for small. I am EXTREMELY happy with the solution.

Now, I will shoot somewhere between 5000-10,000 rounds this year and I am NOT going to try to load them on a single stage press. I would almost rather have a root canal than to attempt that, again (yeah, I have "been there and done that" and never again)!

I cast most of my bullets with four to six cavity moulds and lube them with a Star luber/sizer. It takes me 1.5-2.0 hrs to cast 21 lbs of bullets (one RCBS pot full). I have not timed lubing in the Star but it runs pretty fast and is REAL easy to start and stop without penalty.

A competent hand can load 400-500 per hour on the Dillon 550B. That is fast enough for me and the 550B has relatively low prices on tool heads and spare parts. It is easy to convert to other calibers (including all sporting rifle calibers) and has been a very good choice for me.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    i see the error of your ways....you missed out on the group buy 6 hole molds!

yep 2/4's are slow and a dillon will spit them out fast....but why be slow on both tasks ?

get a 550......

you will cut the total time of casting and loading by about 25%....more shooting time.

i to have 2 550's, one small and one large primer......

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master

send all your stuff to me I will pay postage . Then you can relax and spend your time with the witch Pelosi[what ever] Stay with the single its less problems for OLD foke
    Last edited by Buckshot; 03-27-2009 at 04:06 AM.

I spend a lot of my winter time casting, sizing and lubing my boolits for shooting later. I have a Hornady LNL to load em up with and I'm pretty dog-gone happy with it! As some-one pointed out, "Why be slow at both?" I'm finding the LEE 6 holers to be a good choice for making certain boolits, others, well I just putt along with em and do the best I can.

I loaded 1600 .38spl one winter on a Rock Chucker...Ain't my idea of fun!

Boolit Man
    I just spent what seems to be the better part of a month casting, lubing, and loading 1,000 45 ACP rounds on my Rock Chucker. I REALLY miss my Lee Pro 1000! I sold it in order to "upgrade" to a better progressive. It always worked and more money for a "better" press has not materialized. Yeah, get a progressive.

If you plan to shoot your pistols a lot then a Dillon 550 has got to be on your list for all the reasons given. I spend time in the winter casting and smelting and lubing bullets in several rifles and pistols. I can't imagine loading the volume of pistol rounds I shoot on my Rockchucker. The latter is great for rifles where volume loading isn't involved but for pistols the Dillon sure makes life easy.

Take Care

Bob
    ps The Dillon works for rifles to but the powder mesure really doesn't handle stick powders very well.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Well my rule of thumb is if 50 rounds or less for an outing, it is done single stage. If more, say 9mm or .45, then progressive. I just have a cheap Lee Pro 1000 that DOES work but is a bit finicky.

I've used Dillons. Great presses but I don't personally feel they are better than the Hornady or RCBS progressive machines and not worth the extra money.

But whatever brand you might pick, if you want volume, yes, get a progressive press. And some 4 or 6 banger molds. Now as for lubing- if you are a fan of Lee liquid alox, couldn't be faster. It's usually a love it or hate it kind of thing. For most of my pistol bullets that's all I use. Some rifle bullets too. Otherwise you'd have to upgrade to a Star or similar to lube quickly.

The only reason I can see for a progressive press is that one is a competitive shooter. A competitor who wants to get good fires a thousand rounds per month, or more. Further, that sort of person wants to spend their time practicing shooting rather than reloading.

So my recommendation is: take up a competitive shooting sport and get a progressive press -- you'll need it.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master
    I'm with Dale53,

Get 2 Dillon 550B's; one for small primers and one for large primers. The shell plate for 45ACP will do 308 and 30-06 cases too. I still prime and drop powder charges manually; however it's great to process a case every time you pull the handle (size, deprime, expand case mouth) for case prep then seat and crimp bullets every time you pull the handle on a charged case.

I have arthritis and the advantage of only placing cases in the press twice to process and load each bullet is worth the cost to me. Otherwise, I get real tired of putting the case in and taking the case out of the press 4 times each (handling the case 8 times). This results in a 75% reduction in work; but, with arthritis it's about a 90% reduction because I don't drop the cases as much.

My 0.03 cents,

Boomer
    Group Buy Honcho for 311440Mod, 312190-FNGC, 379230-GC, 380200-GC, 381268-PB, 360180-GC, 360180-PB, 413640-PB, 434330-GC, 434640-PB, 434640-GC, 454640-PB, 462420-PB, 462420-GC, 462420-PB Re-Run, 462420-GC Re-Run, 462640-PB, and 462640-GC Group Buys.

Lever Guns are my Passion!
    SASS Life 37141
    IHMSA 33587

Boolit Master

I have had a Dillon 550B and several "O" and "C" presses I now own a Lee Classic Turret and find that it is very adequate for my need and I think for most other people's needs. I think it is much easier to operate and adjust and will auto index. Because you are only loading 1 round at a time there is less chance for errors. It will also load rifle and pistol ammo.

Skeet1

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    I have had a Dillon 550B and several "O" and "C" presses I now own a Lee Classic Turret and find that it is very adequate for my need and I think for most other people's needs. I think it is much easier to operate and adjust and will auto index. Because you are only loading 1 round at a time there is less chance for errors. It will also load rifle and pistol ammo.

Skeet1
    i load one round at a time for some rifle matches...20-50 rounds.....once pass that 50 number i move into the 21th century and use one of two progessives. errors are for people that cannot concentrate on a given task(ouch).......progessives rule!

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Buddy
    Duckiller, I retired last year so know where you are coming from.

I've had a single stage Lyman Spartan since the late 70's and have always found it to be adequate for my use. Looking at some of the boards, it seems that a big percentage of reloading posts involve tips, tweaks, mods, adjustments, etc., etc., to progressive presses. For some folks, I'm sure they are wonderful, but I don't need all that and am perfectly content to be behind the times.

Boolit Buddy

Go Progressive [550B]

I have 2-550B's , Both set up for Rifle & Sm Pri. A new Lee Classic Turret, it is for pistol. 38/44/45. RCBS Rock Chucker + a Lee Classic single + an old Pacfic ,currently retired. They all seem to get used for various reasons as time goes by. When PD season gets under way, the two 550b's get the most use , 223 & 20Tac. Yrs back when I was shooting a lot of NRA Bullseye Comp, I cranked out all the 45 ACP on the 550b needless to say. While back there was some stories about the primer feed on the 650 setting off a primer under certain conditions. On the 550b , have never had a problem even if I flipped on sideways & had to do a crush seat in the pocket to get it out of the press. Just pushed the sideways primer out with a Depriming die[Gently] & back in business again. I know [THEY] say that is Dangerous. Well do this sometime, go out to your workshop ,put a primer in your vise, crush it flat as a pancake, nothing happens. But on your ears & eyes, stand aside & hit the side of the vise with a hammer, [BANG] takes a sharp blow to set it off, ie=Firing Pin. Standard Disclaimer applies here. Just My 2¢ [42 yrs reloading, don't claim to know it all, still learning alot on this site] Russ.

Boolit Master

I'm another one with two Dillon 550Bs (plus a turret and Co-ax). My basic rule is this: anything gun that spits out empty cases as fast or faster than the 550s gets loaded on them. Anything that takes a while to reload (TC Contender) gets loaded on the other two.

If you want to shoot like this , buy a progressive.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Man
    I load all my pistol on a Lee Auto Indexing presses. I have 2 set up one for small primer and one for large. I have gotten pretty fast at it. My rifles I load in a Lee single stage press with collets. Soon to switch to a RCBS RC 2. I want as much control of my rifle load as I can get. Each charge is weighed and is exact. Every round is identical. I don't think the progressives are accurate enough to do that for me. That is just me though.
    TC66

I will keep my GUNS and MONEY and you can keep the "CHANGE"!!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

I shot "Big Bore" rifle competition for years. My Dillon was PLENTY accurate enough for that work and it IS demanding (National Match Course). I just used ball powders that would measure well in the Dillon measure. I only "check weigh". If a powder measure is good enough for modern bench rest shooters it is good enough for ANY work.

Just my opinion, of course...

Dale53

While my benchrest stuff stuff will never be loaded on a Dillion (Wilson dies and an arbor press all the way!), a Dillon is great for 98% of typical applications.
    That said, I still use my RockChucker, my 650, and my Wilson dies. Each has a purpose.
    You make you choices and enjoy the results (if you chose wisely).

Best wisheds (sounds to me like you will not be happy till you have a blue press...)
    There is NO subsitute for heavy, large diameter bullets or cubic inches!

Banned

Id say go with a single 550. there fast enough and they lack some of the mechanical parts that a full progressive have and it makes them simpler and more reliable. Ive got 5 square deals set up in specific calibers because i dont like swapping parts on them but i wouldnt buy another 550 just to not have to swap primer set ups. It can be done in about 3 minutes. If its a bother to you organize your loading so you do all the calibers with large primers and then do all the ones with small. If i were going multiple presses id go with square deals. there cheaper and much faster. Im a dillon man through and through but the hornady lock and load is a good press too. Its cheaper then a 650 and a real bargin if you factor in the 1000 free bullets there giving away with them. Stock up on something like 308 bullets and its worth more then 200 more bucks off on it. Ive got one ordered right now. I couldnt pass on it. Im going to set it up to just load .223s and if i like it ill buy a second one for 308s.

Ultimately, its a matter of turning loose of the funds. If you go to a modern press, you won't believe the TIME that you free up for other things. Time, Time its all about freeing up time. So either go ahead and continue burning oil at the load bench or pay up and get a real machine and enjoy that extra time. I'm a two 550 fan. Lastly, the longer you wait the more you're gonna pay. If you can't work some OT for justification, then find something that you can live without.
    Sprue ™