Load DataRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Press and assorted rams

Pacific Press and assorted rams

Greetings,
    Hope this is the correct place to ask, I have a Pacific press (pat 1933) and a assortment of rams and shell holders (10 to be exact) and I was wondering if anyone out there still uses these? Were they any good? and what were the downfalls of this press?

I am thinking of listing the whole lot on the swapping and selling forum
    but I wouldnt know what they are worth or is anyone would even want them.

I run three Dillons so I wont ever use this, but if its still a good set up I would rather see it go to someone here that would use

heres pics

Boolit Buddy
    They are a good press made good and solid..... downfall is the upstroke and having to change the rams out to change what shell you want to use.... The POWER C ram will fit the press to make it except standard shellholders

Boolit Buddy
    he he opps.......looks like one of your rams already takes the standard shellholders..... by the pic..* i never let the pic's load...... when i went to reply*

yea the one in the press will take standard shell holders.
    which reminds me the shell holder thats in there needs to go back into my .223 die set

Boolit Master
    Your press and those shell holder/rams are a nice bit of reloading history. In a real sense, Pacific is responsible for much of our current standard reloading tool designs, especially so for 7/8" x 14 dies, matching shell holders and the general press design we now use. That press and its shell holding rams were the first step, the interchangable shell holders followed soon after.

Fred Huntington's (RCBS founder) development of the "O" press head and the compound toggle link handle doomed all "C" type presses with simple toggle links to a fairly rapid death.

Pacific's initial clumsy ram/shell holder design worked but was a significant liability. The press itself was a very useable design, many are still around. The lever can be reversed to convert it to operate on either the up or down stroke. Those who own the old presses would really love to have your rams!

I started loading on a Pacific C press with those rams and did so for over 20 years. As stated, the only downside, is that it is an upstroke press and you need a heavy bench to hold things down.

For nostalga sake, I would like to have that press, but I am not willing to pay much, as to me it isn't worth much. I would just like it on the bench to remind me of "the old days". You can keep or sell the solid rams. I would only want the one on the press in the photo. I gave away over a dozen of those rams to a fellow who used them as trot line weights.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    The lever can be reversed to convert it to operate on either the up or down stroke.
    ... I've been looking at mine press for a good long while... and still haven't figured it out.... I may be a little thick here,,,,do you mean remove the lever from the ram...... and remove the pin from where it toggles at the handle.... and reverse * end for end it*... I'd love to breath a little more life in my old press * make it more usefull *

Onlymenotu --- The Pacific C and Super C presses were not covertable to downstroke. I think perhaps a few of the later Pacific presses were, but not the vast majority that were in production for many years were upstroke only.

The press in the photo is the "C", which was in production from the early 30's. It was replaced in the 50's with the Super C. The older C press could snap off if great amounts of pressure were used on the lever. Under ordinary use, that would not happen, but idots will always find a way to break something.

The Super C was reinforced at the bottom/lower part when the "c" and the base joined for greater strength. Later Pacific presses had so much metal they looked like a Cobra with it's flaps flaired out. In spite of metal bars that were furnished to attatch to the front of the C and give it additional strength , the O press eventually proved the winner.

Pacific was the big dog in the reloading equipment business until RCBS, Herters and the like came on the scene. Hollywood made the best equipment, but boy was it pricey!

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

The press in the photo is the "C", which was in production from the early 30's
    Nostalgia is cool, but we do have a significant advantage over those early reloaders huh.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

I have one here with extra rams as well. An interesting piece of history indeed...

Boolit Master
    "... I've been looking at mine press for a good long while... and still haven't figured it out.... "

I may be wrong. Got to admit - often - my memory is fading on many details of so long ago.

BUT...if I remember right, you must remove the toggle pivot pin and the swinging link pin. Then reinstall the link so it works on the back side of the press body, pushing UP as the lever moves down. Or, I may be all wet and your press may be one of those that cannot be reversed.

Good luck!

Boolit Mold
    I just bought an Echo press and being new to reloading didn't realize that it uses non-standard shell holders. I could definitely use some of those rams. I'm looking for 30.06 and 300 mag, and I could also use the large rifle primer arm.

Banned

those were made before the magnums.
    doubt you will find a magnum face ram.

Banned
    Chris your Echo is convertibale to snap in shellholders. RCBS and maybe Lyman sell the replacement rams. Your ECHO has a standard ram and any conversion ram will fit.
    A point of interest is ECHO made the first run of RCBS JR2 presses. They can be spotted by the green/white speckled ECHO paint.
    ECHO shellholders are extreamly difficult to obtain.
    Ken

Boolit Mold
    If I install a conversion ram, will I loose height under the frame? There is 3 1/3" stroke. In the down position the shell holder is retracted into the frame so that just about 1/16" above the frame is where the shell slot is, giving just enough room for long rifle cartridges. Chris

Chris I dont know if this is rule of thumb for all but the conversion ram in this press is shorter than the standard rams, it is the same length as the others with a shell holder in it.

Boolit Master
    Mine has been serving me well for nearly 40 years, don't know how many years of use it had before I got it. A coat of paint now and then and it'll probably outlive me. The upstroke of the handle to raise the ram never bothered me.

Banned
    ECHO shellholders are threaded to screw onto the ram. The machine work is excellent as they always stop with the slot to the front!
    Shown below is a top/bottom view with the little wrench to remove them.
    Ken
    Last edited by Pressman; 01-12-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    If anyone is interested, I have a box of 25 Pacific rams. Some are duplicates and all are dirty with old oil/grease, but should clean up to useable condition. If anyone wants them for $20 shipped to any USPS address, they’re yours. PM me if you want them.

PS I use my Pacific C as a de-prime press. I keep it on the end of the bench with a Universal De-prime die installed. Brass gets de-primed and dropped in the tumbler as it comes in the door. When the tumbler is full, run it, sort the brass, and store for future use.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Chris your Echo is convertibale to snap in shellholders. RCBS and maybe Lyman sell the replacement rams. Your ECHO has a standard ram and any conversion ram will fit.
    A point of interest is ECHO made the first run of RCBS JR2 presses. They can be spotted by the green/white speckled ECHO paint.
    ECHO shellholders are extreamly difficult to obtain.
    Ken

I just put a bid on an Echo reloading press that is for sale on eBay. It is good to know that I can get a replacement ram from RCBS.