RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMCD Products

Thread: Another satisfied customer...

Another satisfied customer...

... of Mountain Molds. A beautiful brass double cavity arrived a couple weeks ago and I finally had a chance to cast and shoot some. What a dream! They fell from the mould easily, look phenomenal (when I do my job), and shoot as straight as I can hold. Sorry, no chrony, and no pistol rest, so no hard data, but you can use your imagination to see what this will do to a deer using 10 grains (ish) of AA#9 in a Marlin 1894C.

It's got a 76% meplat, 215 grains (or so), drops at 359, sized to 358, loaded into 357 mag brass. Initial tests were over 7.5 and 8.0 gr AA#9, and were fun!

Lead's cheap and powder's expensive, so bigger is better
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MM359215.jpg  

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range

Sweet! Reminds me of a Lyman 358627 which I hope to be a thumper from my Marlin35 Rem.

Leadthrower,how would that boolit go in a 358win?Nice weight.mean looking too.

Sav300,
    It's got a .320 nose. Crimping on the groove would put a bunch of it in the boiler room. Crimping at the first lube groove would make for a "nose" of about .490, and would keep the boolit in the neck of the case (roughly .360 in the case).

Boolit Master
    Beautiful boolit ... my best 44 boolit came from Dan. Must have been one of my lucky dreams. You guys know what I mean by that. Let us know how your boolit works out for you and what your loads are. This is what casting is all about.
    Nighthunter

I'll be "working up" some loads, but I lack the resources right now (chrony, etc.) to do real load development. I'll post what I can, tho'.

One thing I noticed with the initial 7.5 and 8.0 gr AA#9 loads is that there was a bit of unburned powder in the barrel. That was using regular primers. I'll try magnum primers in my next batch.

Just an update:
    up to 10 gr AA#9 using mag primers and it behaves like a gentleman from my GP100 and Marlin. I added a chrony and rest to my hardware collection but have yet to take it out for data collection. Time sure does fly by! (or as the frogs say: "times fun when you're having flies")

By the way, marlin owners: I have not feed issues with this boolit.

I did take my GP100 to the range with the rest. This boolit kept groups half the size of those I was able to find with Lee's 158RF.

More data when it's available...

oh yeah, one other addition to my hardware: a Forster hollow pointer. That ought to turn this thing into a real beast!

More data

Finally got time to load some more and get my **** to the range. I'm still at the indoor range, so no chrony action yet, but here's the latest from my GP100:

each load was a single shot, check the brass, then 4 additional rounds...
    10.2 gr A9 No worries, nice kick. Boolits pulling under recoil w/ moderate crimp.
    10.4 gr A9 No worries, nicer kick. Boolits pulling.
    1st shot 10.6 gr A9 Flattened primer (no hard extraction).
    1 additional shot of 10.6 gr A9, another flattened primer, all done.
    All loads used cci 550 primers.
    When I get outside on a sunny day with the chrony I'll post more. I'll also test from the marlin.

Data, ... finally!

Well, it's been a long time coming, and circumstances only allowed me to get four shots over my chrony, but here's something:

Boolit: The afore-mentioned 358215TC custom from MountainMolds
    firearm: Marlin 1894c
    4 shots (5th didn't register on the chrony)
    10.6 gr A9
    Magtech nickel-plated brass
    CCI magnum small pistol primers
    average velocity 1308 fps
    es 49 fps

Using a BC of 0.2 (I welcome help in estimating this), online calculators show over 500 ft-lb of energy at 150 yards.

I'm learning to use the info the chrony provides, so I welcome all comments. (With this and all loads in all firearms I'm interested in accuracy and power to harvest meat.)

LeadThrower

Boolit Bub
    Wow, that's a very heavy bullet for the 357 !!!

Not much velocity but with all those lube grooves and bearing length, it should be accurate.