RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Lubrisizing vs tumble lubing

Lubrisizing vs tumble lubing

Being new to this interesting bit of insanity (that would be a compliment) I'm confused at when you would size a bullet and when you would shot it as-cast. Can you folks help me out witout suggesting an asylum?

Later,
    Chiz

Boolit Grand Master
    If there is no reason to size, don't size. As long as the boolit fits the throat(s) and barrel and chambers freely, there's no reason to size it. Do the homework by measuring the bore and throats, then decide if the boolits need sizing.

In general, that means it's .001" to .003" larger than the throats and barrel, depending on caliber. A 45/70 boolit up to .460" is usually fine, and a .222 Remington usually fits better at .225".
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon +1 on the previous ...
    It can also depend on HOW much lube the application Needs. Such as a revolver with a 4" barrel may not need much lube with a light load.
    Or a 44-40 boolit out my 5.5" New Service does not need as much lube as out the bore of my 20" 44-40 SRC. It comes down to experimenting... It is better to have a bit to much than discover you certainly had way to little.
    For me I do both.. I tumble some boolits and lube others filing the grooves. Some get sized down a hair... others get shot as cast diameter.
    In the begginning it is like any new to you discipline... so much to learn.... But after 50 years beining around reloading and casting you discover there still is bunches to learn and REMEMBER.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.