Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin 1894 .44 mag Load

OK, I'll muddy the waters some, here

I had a Marlin 1894 MG in 44 mag. I loaded the RCBS 240 gr (Lyman #2 alloy)over 21 gr's of OLD 2400. With a 3X9 scope off a solid bench it would shoot 2 inch groups, at 100 yards.

It shot so well (boolit had to be crimped on the first driving band as crimp groove crimp was too long to feed, wish I had known how to lengthen the carrier then). That the owner of the range traded me out of it. (BIG Mistake on my part).

That rifle was used by 2 women at our deer camp to kill their first ever deer, and I loved to carry it. Just one of those Stupid days I wish i could take back.

Good Luck with yours,
    TwoTrees

"Hold my beer and watch this!!"

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargar View Post
    Oh yes, the carrier on this Marlin leveguns can be modified to allow rounds with longers LOA to function well. I have done this modification on both my 44 and .357 Marlin leverguns and it cures many feeding issues.
    Charger, exactly what COL are you able to cycle with blunt bullets in your Marlin 357 ?

I ask because I modded my carrier as per the instructions at Beartooth and it gained very little. My max COL is about 1.6" with blunt bullets so it may have bought me 0.01". Smaller meplats could probably go a little longer but I only shoot blunt bullets.

It's been a few years since I played with the mod but I vaguely remember that there were timing issues -- the carrier mod allows a longer cartridge to be held on the carrier, but in order to shuck the longer cartridge into the chamber, you would have to alter the timing so that the carrier lifts a little earlier.

What is the max OAL that a 1894 44m will cycle with out the mod? The reason I ask is I just bought one and want to load some 255 and 300 grain lead boolits for it and have no idea where to start with my loads. I am new to the lead boolit loading deal but want to learn all I can.

Boolit Master
    Before you load a bunch, make a couple of dummies to try. My 1894 Cowboy will not feed the 310 gr SSK or the RCBS 250K bullet. Both are too long in the nose. Gates, from Dixie Slugs, sent me a few of his wide meplat 265gr which have a short nose and feed slicker then snail snot! The .275" nose length seems to be the ideal. I had mountain moulds make me a mould with the Gates nose but the body shortened for a 200gr PB Cowboy action shooting bullet. BOY IS IT SLICK!
    This is his Marlin bullet. It is not the wide meplat bullet shown in the "stickies" posting at the top of the cast bullet section.
    Last edited by Irascible; 03-17-2009 at 12:00 PM.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Boolit Mold

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Elk 45/70 View Post
    Hullo Indiana, I'm glad that mold is dropping a boolit you can use, Yes these are the only 265gr.molds that Lee has produced--the RD 265.

As for sizing , you said your bore is about .430, that being the case, you don't have to resize them IMHO. They should shoot better left as cast.

How hard are you going to drive the boolits? You can shoot them without the GC with no problem. If you are going to drive them fast, they would probably be a little more accurate with a GC. But they should be ok with out.

I don't use GC's on mine at 44 mag pistol speed, mine are around 1,100fps.
    I use the GC's when shooting in my marlin, but that is just me. Most folks here and on other sites don't think the GC is necessary until you get around 1700fps and higher , I think mine are around 1500-1600fps, works for me.

You don't have to reduce the charge when using without the GC, unless you are going to 1700fps or higher, then you might have a problem, who knows go shoot some loaded the way you want and see what you get, Most have found this boolit to be very accurate--Good luck , let us know what you get.
    Slow El'k, all I can say is "Incredible!". I cast a few and water quenched. Your recommendations on not sizing did the trick! I didn't think you could achieve that level of accuracy with this bullet. Once I discovered the correct charge level (by the way it took me all weekend and a somewhat bruised shoulder), I am now getting close to consistently shooting clover-leafs at 60 yards.
    Early on my analysis validated that my "fliers" were caused by excessive CRIMPING pressure. Once my crimps became consistent (bordering on no crimp) the bullets responded like I never expected with only 7.5 gn of charge.....go figure.
    I also found that if I factory crimped with the RD boolits, the marlin would not cycle and my accuracy was not repeatable.
    Thanks again.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter 24095 View Post
    What is the max OAL that a 1894 44m will cycle with out the mod? T
    The manual that comes with the Marlin should tell you, I think it is 1.59" max COL but I am going from memory and it's been a long time since I've looked at the manual. In addition, it will vary with the type of bullet, blunt bullets may require a shorter COL.

Generally, a COL that is too short is not a problem, but there is definitely a limit on the max COL.

Hey indiana, glad to see it's working for you, makes it fun when you get the results you are looking for

Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range

OK got one

Snow Elk,

Good advise. I slugged the barrell of my microgroove 1894 twice. .428. I didnt believe it either so myself and a friend with much experience did it again.....same result. Ordered mould and sizer, and have almost given up on the 300gr idea ( talk about that in a minute). ordered a lyman 255 SWC GC mould. it casts right at 433. dia. Ordered a lyman .430 sizer and went to work with a 6:1 lino to lead alloy. Gas check and lube boolit is right at 260gr. put 19.5gr of 2400 under it w/ a CCI350 primer. First shot at a hunting load for this thing.....was even ready to write suggestions for improvement in my book. when I sighted the rifle in @ 30 yards 3 3round cloverleaf type groups. moved to 100, and I know it sounds like a stretch for the rifle and calliber, but I shot 2 groups right at 2" and 1 at 1.78". I dont really believe it either, but it did happen. I wanted to shoot more, but I'm gonna save some for a South Carolina whitetail! Ok back to the 300 gr beast. Lyman suggests a starting load of 14.4 gr of 2400. Most others have said that they are using 19gr, but admittedly getting sub standard results. Im thinking of sizing the same way and maybe trying like 16gr of 2400. Any experience in the 300 gr area? And will the thing even think about stabilizing with any charge with the slow twist of my rifle? Again appreciate the advice I couldn't be happier with my 1894 right now.

Chris

ShooterChris, The 300gr is a strange animal in some rifles with the slower twist. Some people say they have really good luck with it, others cuss it. The best I have done with it a microgroove was with 18gr of 2400. so so accuracy.

I have a lot better groups with the 265 and a 270 that I have. I can't say you will do better with the 300 gr. boolit, I would start around 16.5 and work up , I think 19gr is pushing it a bit for this boolit.

IMHO, you will be better served with the 260-270 for the 44mag. Now if you want a 444----the 300-320gr boolits kick butt , you have the mold, you just need a new rifle. HA HA, you do know how much money you can save casting your own, don't you????
    Slow Elk 45/70

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range

Ok...and another thought.

Well Snow Elk them money trees grow great in my South Carolina clay..... I'll go pick some and order me a 444! I think that my next venture into 1894 land will be an octagon BBL 30-30. Believe it or not I have never owned a 30-30 and hear that the non- micro groove versions of the 1894 love lead....opinion? As far as the 44, I found a good load on the first try and that dont happen much I'm just gonna let that 300gr sleepin dog lie. I dont think that the deer will complain about a light lick with what I have in that 255gr! Anyway thanks again for the help and if you have any advise or knohow before I go buying the 30-30 let me know whats on your mind. I dont know how it happened, and I am first and foremost a benchrest shooter, but these lever guns and single action revolvers are sneaking into my safe when I'm not looking.....Then to top that I really am enjoying the old school guns.

Chris

Hullo ShooterChris, Yea it does get under a fellows skin, it seems to grow on a lot of people when they try it.

Find a marlin 30/30 with the Ballard BBl and you will be a happy man. These are good shooters and I knock over a couple of white tails everytime I visit my son & brother with one of mine that I keep at their place just for that, very nice and easy to carry in the woods, and yes it Loves lead, if you buy a used one be sure to strip ALL of the copper fouling from the BBL or it won't shoot the CB the way it can.

I think you will be better served spending your time having fun with the 44/255 load you found than fighting the odds trying to make your 300gr shoot in that particular rifle.

Have fun and I hope you find that 30/30 you want, you never know what you might find while looking, I bet something will follow you home.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Boolit Master
    I have one of the Lee 265 grain molds on order. I will be using it in a Marlin 1894 without GCs in the beginning. I am looking for some advice on a powder load that will give me about 800 fps out of the Marlin. Powders available are: RedDot, Unique, Bullseye. If you have loads for other powders, I can use those also. Thanks in advance.

I cast some 265 gr Lee RNFP boolits today out of one of those "bargin" molds. It did cast over .430, but not .432. I've got to tinker on the mold a bit, so I only cast a few. On the bright side, I also cast some Lyman 429215's today out of another new mold, and they did barely cast .432 which I need for my SBH. I haven't tried the 310 grainers in my Winchester which I believe is a 1-26" twist, but I really don't see the point in pursuing them at 100 yards anyway. Those boolits are very good for up close, and personal bone crunching penetration, but I really don't see a longer range use for them. I stick with good 240-250 grain slugs for most shooting, and I believe that a 215 will actually give you all the penetration you normally would need, and they sure shoot much flatter!

Boolit Master
    NHlever,
    How do you plan to load the 265s? Will you be using a GC?

Boolit Master
    Oh well, got a note in the mail from Lee today. The 265 grain mold is no longer available. Need to see if someone whats to get rid of theirs.

Boolit Grand Master

I just got mine a couple of days ago and cast this morning.

I decided to play devils advocate since I usually oil moulds (at least iron moulds) and seldom do much clean up before casting with no problems of wrinkled boolits.

I did not even clean the mould, put it on a piece of steel over my two burner propane stove to pre-heat it while my pot of lead melted then started casting when water sizzled on the mould.

The first two boolits out of a brand new mould are usable! I cast 60 rounds with only 5 rejects. I do cast hot though!

Anyway, after miking I find one cavity casts 0.430" to 0.432" and one casts 0.4315" to 0.4325". There is a very small offset of about 0.001" to the mould blocks and a slight burr on the edges of the cavity. All in all not bad and you can't beat the price.

Since my groove diameter is almost 0.432" I was planning on lapping to about 0.433"+ anyway. I just finished lightly lapping and will cast again later to see if I took enough out. I can feel that the offset is gone now as I turn the lapping boolit.

Nice looking boolit! I will load some later and hopefully shoot tomorrow. I will be loading barefoot over IMR4227.

I wish I had bought a 6 cavity from Ranchdog when he was in business!

Longbow