Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: Winchester Blank 12ga rounds

Winchester Blank 12ga rounds

As I do with most, since I love how things work.. I pulled apart one of these Winchester 12ga blanks to see how I could go about duplicating them. It’s a 2.75” hull, with 170 grains of tightly packed black powder(I’m gonna try some with Pyrodex), topped with a 1/2” fiber wad and roll crimped. That’s it. I took pics too, for reference. Just email me. Figure someone may want this info. Good to know. These are crazy loud, and a hoot to shoot outside on the 4th of July, or any day for that matter!

Boolit Buddy
    Wondering if you could do the same with smokeless powder, xx grains of Unique, Reddot, or Bullseye with some grits or cow in a cup.

Boolit Master

you wont get the "bang" from smokless
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not super keen on shooting a belching load of BP through my shotguns. Sounds like a easy way to pit out a barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TjB101 View Post
    Wondering if you could do the same with smokeless powder, xx grains of Unique, Reddot, or Bullseye with some grits or cow in a cup.
    I've seen loads for smokeless blanks. Mostly I recall a decent charge of fast powder like red dot, then nothing but a stack of hard nitro cards and fold crimped. I've made "blanks" with peoples ashes. They most certainly go bang.

If my old guy memory isn't completely faulty, I used to make 12 gauge black powder blanks from a recipe that was in a 70's vintage Dixie Gun Works catalog.

I THINK I used a Winchester AA hull, an at this point unremembered volume of black powder, 60 grains, MAYBE? A Winchester AA wad was used with the shot petals cut off.

A yard+ of flames if you shot at night with a massive cloud of smoke combined with more racket then you would think is possible from that small a package.

May have to go on an archeological dig to find one of those old Dixie catalogs. Pretty sure I know within 10 feet where it's at, just not sure I'm brave enough to dig into the pile. Not sure I could survive if there's a cave-in.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I've seen loads for smokeless blanks. Mostly I recall a decent charge of fast powder like red dot, then nothing but a stack of hard nitro cards and fold crimped. I've made "blanks" with peoples ashes. They most certainly go bang.
    Thanks … appreciate the reply … may have to try in the near future.